Sign in to follow this  
lego.ryan

My Return to MOCing! Pirates Included.

thindexedgif.gif Black Pearl 37c, Flying Dutchman 41a

I've been gone for a while, but I've put my time away to good use! I present to you, the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman!

2213669076_46d1a76d46.jpg

2213679214_81b148d64f.jpg

Okay, so they're not entirely movie accurate, and neither of them have cannons, but I find I quite enjoy having them battle each other. :-D

The Pearl:

Loosely based on the Durmstrang Ship. It uses the Durmstrang Ship's hull, and mast design, but that's mostly it. This is probably my favorite MOC I've ever made, probably because I hold anything POTC-related close to my heart. *wub* I'll admit that it is kind of a small ship, but I've done my best to extend it as far as it can go. ;-)

"Breakable" Parts include- lower deck railings, lanterns, and crows' nests.

The Dutchman:

Uses my three reddish-brown hull pieces from the Viking Ship. I had to decide whether or not to go brick-built or not, but I think the end result turned out pretty cool and pretty different looking. Again, it's short like the Pearl, but I've exhausted my supply of these:

3747a.gif

and these:

2339.gif

to make the ship as long as possible. As for the captain's quarters, there's nothing inside yet, but I plan on making an organ for Davy to play. How else can he release his feelings for Calypso? :-$

"Breakable" Parts include- all the railings and the crow's nest.

Also, by "breakable" I mean parts that can be blasted away when I shoot Technic cannons at them. It's really fun! :-D

2212874493_304a71a3da.jpg

The entire set can be viewed here.

Questions, comments, notes, and constructive criticism are welcome!

-Ryan

Edited by SlyOwl

Welcome back LEGO Ryan!

You have very interesting renditions of the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman.

Since they're quite different to what's seen in the movies why didn't you invent your own backstory and names? Obviously the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were catalyst for your creative output but it looks to me that you've created something that is uniquely yours - no kudos to anyone else!

Ok, so I'm being a bit pedantic. X-D

Nice work, especially on the hull of the Dutchman and masts of the Pearl and I love the crews on both ships :-)

Do you plan on adding sails later on?

Welcome back LEGO Ryan!

You have very interesting renditions of the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman.

Since they're quite different to what's seen in the movies why didn't you invent your own backstory and names? Obviously the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were catalyst for your creative output but it looks to me that you've created something that is uniquely yours - no kudos to anyone else!

Ok, so I'm being a bit pedantic. X-D

Thank you! I've thought about creating new characters and backstories to go with them, namely, changing the Black Pearl into the Hallowed Harridan. :-P

Thanks for your kind words!

Nice work, especially on the hull of the Dutchman and masts of the Pearl and I love the crews on both ships :-)

Do you plan on adding sails later on?

Thanks! Also, thanks for the comments on the crews, I love getting feedback on my figs! I do hope to add sails one day, and when I do, I'll take new pictures to show you guys! ;-)

Nice ships, especially the Black Pearl. I still remember arguing a MOCer and he said the Flying Dutchman was not a pirate ship but Davy Jones. Still makes me smile nowadays :-$

They thought Davy was the Flying Dutchman?! Ha. I'd be pretty upset if somebody confused me with a big nasty ship. :-D

Thanks for the feedback!

Great job on the ships, lego.ryan I really like them, especially the brick built hull, I always find it hard unless I use a prefab piece to make a decent hull! I like the way that the way the ships almost look cartoonish, however some sails would be the icing on the cake. *y*

I like your Black Pearl version!

The color schema is excellent. Maybe some sails might still improve it.

Seeing this, I regret never buying the Durmstrang Ship.

A very nice work, especially with the fine use of that HP ship hull, with a very

neat crew ready for action.... *sweet*

Great work of making use with more recent lego masts and hulls *y*

It seems to be more difficult to use the newer masts than the older ones.

I have very few of the new masts, but always end up using the older styled masts :-$

Good work though *y*

They've officially been indexed into the Index of MOC Ships.

Keep up the good work. *sweet*

P

Edited by phred

Great job on the ships, lego.ryan I really like them, especially the brick built hull, I always find it hard unless I use a prefab piece to make a decent hull! I like the way that the way the ships almost look cartoonish, however some sails would be the icing on the cake. *y*

Thank you! It took me forever trying to decide how to turn the wretched Viking ship hull into a nice-looking hull, so thanks!

I like your Black Pearl version!

The color schema is excellent. Maybe some sails might still improve it.

Seeing this, I regret never buying the Durmstrang Ship.

Thanks! And thanks for the comment on the color schemes. Obviously I tried to keep it so the Pearl was black, dark grey, and brown, and tried to keep the Dutchman as brown and grey as possible, so it's nice to hear a compliment on it!

Alas, I'm sorry you missed out on the Durmstrang ship. However, if you ever get the chance to buy it again, I recommend snatching it up. X-D

A very nice work, especially with the fine use of that HP ship hull, with a very

neat crew ready for action.... *sweet*

Thanks! I love hearing compliments on my figs. So vain! :-D

Great work of making use with more recent lego masts and hulls *y*

It seems to be more difficult to use the newer masts than the older ones.

I have very few of the new masts, but always end up using the older styled masts :-$

Good work though *y*

They've officially been indexed into the Index of MOC Ships.

Keep up the good work. *sweet*

P

Thanks! I wish I had some of the old masts, that way it'd be easier to make sails to go along with them. :-/

Oh well. And thanks for indexing them!

Considering that the hull is brick built, the Flying Dutchman is my fave. Good job! *y*

Thank you! :-D

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Thank you! I've thought about creating new characters and backstories to go with them, namely, changing the Black Pearl into the Hallowed Harridan. :-P

Go on... Do it then X-D

Currently working on remaking the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman, the Pearl's almost done! And she's much bigger and more movie accurate in terms of accessories, railings, etcetera. Haven't started on the Dutchman yet, seeing as I have to actually build the hull... :wink:

I'll get pictures up as soon as possible after I finish them! :jollyroger:

Impressive! this makes me want to get back to my fleet... looks over at the ships sinking over in the corner... hmm...

instead finds POTC 3 dvd, and watches it, maybe another day...

Currently working on remaking the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman, the Pearl's almost done! And she's much bigger and more movie accurate in terms of accessories, railings, etcetera. Haven't started on the Dutchman yet, seeing as I have to actually build the hull... :wink:

I'll get pictures up as soon as possible after I finish them! :jollyroger:

Most excellent! How's things been progressing?