Sign in to follow this  
jtlan

[MoC] British Railways Standard Class 2 2-6-2T

Greetings Train Tech,

This MoC was actually built over a year ago! I originally designed and built it for use as a "demonstrator" model for a how-to post on Power Functions steam locomotives that I haven't gotten around to writing (although the precursor post is available). While we're waiting on that, I figured I might as well post this model.

01-quarter_front.jpg

Prototype History

British Railways built this class of 2-6-2 tank engines for a mixed traffic role. Apparently they were very similar to the LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T, from which they were derived. While none of the class survived into preservation, The Bluebell Railway is rebuilding one of the related 2-6-0 tender locomotives into an example of this class.

02-quarter_back.jpg

Engineering Details

Usually when I build a MoC, I start with the prototype in mind, then work towards the model. This model began with the desire to build "a small steam locomotive to demonstrate Power Functions", which then determined the choice of prototype. The Standard/Ivatt Class 2 has a number of helpful features in this regard:

• Small tank engine
  • Large bunker could hide a Power Functions receiver
  • Side tanks can cover up other Power Functions components

And indeed, that's how the locomotive is laid out:

zz-scaling_diagram.jpg

04-side_panels_removed.jpg

Even so, the locomotive is quite cramped -- there wasn't enough room for an M-motor based transmission, so I went back to the trusty 9V gearmotor. The output shaft of the motor is very close to the driving axle:

01-transmission_scenario.png

... and it took me a couple tries before I found a good solution:

04-transmission_final_side.png

The side tanks contain a channel that allows a cable to pass through, connecting the motor and receiver:

08-wiring.jpg

The power button is on top of the smokebox and is only held in by gravity:

05-power_button.jpg

Thank you for reading. Full Brickshelf gallery here.

Interesting. I once tried an Ivatt 2mt tender loco as my first model. As it was a Constitution Train chase MOD/MOC, it didn't work out too well.
This model, on the other hand, looks pretty good - especially the shaping on the bunker.
How well does it perform with the older motor, especially only connected to one axle? I've experienced issues using that type of transmission in locomotives, but you look like you have thought out the weight distribution. Good job overall. :classic:

You did a great job in keeping the train to scale while squeezing all of the pf and 9v components into such a small model! However I must say that it looks very bland. However it is still more interesting than the bulleid Q1 class :laugh:.

She's a lovely little thing. In common with a lot of BR's Standard Classes, these unsung workhorses were not the most aesthetically pleasing but you've captured it very well indeed.

A packaging alternative that would allow the use of a larger motor would be to use a PP3 battery in place of the LEGO box.

Indeed, that is a tour de force in forcing all the pf into such a tight space... and doing so with a great looking locomotive around it. Considering the fact that you did not use any curved slopes or cylinders the locomotive looks surprisingly good. That last comment is meant to be strictly praise, aside from the PF and driver wheels it looks like this locomotive could have been built with the parts selection of 2000 or earlier, yet it is infinitely better than the MOT steamers of that era and can hold its own against many of the MOCs of today that rely on a wider pallet of brick shapes.

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Indeed, that is a tour de force in forcing all the pf into such a tight space... and doing so with a great looking locomotive around it. Considering the fact that you did not use any curved slopes or cylinders the locomotive looks surprisingly good. That last comment is meant to be strictly praise, aside from the PF and driver wheels it looks like this locomotive could have been built with the parts selection of 2000 or earlier, yet it is infinitely better than the MOT steamers of that era and can hold its own against many of the MOCs of today that rely on a wider pallet of brick shapes.

Thanks, Zephyr (although there is actually a pair of curved slopes on the pistons!). The prototype's roof, bunker, and side tanks are angular, so slope bricks are actually the best representation for those parts:

zz-ref-by-ben-brooksbank.jpg

The boiler is slightly oversize to properly cover the PF components. Maybe it's because I grew up building that way, but I think the 45-degree slope bricks are one of the best ways for rendering a 4-wide boiler.