aminnich

What set gives the best bang for your buck?

My last topic has me wanting to get another set/ more parts.  I buy sets mainly for the parts, some times I dont even build the model.  I was going to get a 42043 and another 42042, but I am not sure.  The 42043 comes with pneumatics and I did not really want to get into that, because once I get them I am going to want more and that could get expensive.  But I think the rest of 42043 would be a nice addition.  42042 is again just for parts.  

The newest set I have is 42042, the being said, is there anything newer or same year that is a good value for the parts you get? 

I bought 2 42009 for the large amount of parts you get plus, I use the yellow often.  I am just looking for advice. 

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

A pile of 5x7 frames and tread links :D

I am on opposite site, I love pneumatics. This is the reason why I have two 42053 and three 42043. 42042 is also a good set, but uses colour not so popular in Technic sets.

Go for the air power :D

Edited by M_longer

I would get into the pneumatics, but I am afraid I would like it too much

It seems a lot easier than using the LAs, you do not have to worry about about the gearing and whatnot.  You might just have to convince me to get a pneumatic set :grin:

Just now, aminnich said:

You might just have to convince me to get a pneumatic set :grin:

Doooo iiiiit! You will love it. And you can easily build many things just using pneumatic parts from one 42043 set, becuase it provides four cylinders, four switches and a small pump.

Is the only reason to get 42043 for the pneumatics?  I think I would rather get a set and buy more pneumatics on bricklink. 

BTW, anyone know of someone on bricklink that has a good reputation and has pneumatics for a good price?

At full RRP, 42055 is the best value.

However, Technic is regularly discounted so sets like the Claas, Volvo (for the pneumatics) or Mercedes can also be excellent value if reduced by 30-50%.

It also depends on what parts you have and want to build. With 42042 you already have loads of tracks - the Mercedes is great for pneumatics and tyres.

If it´s panels you want then the 2017 boat and jet are also decent choices but are too new to be discounted.

42039 endurance racer is another nice panel and wheel pack if you can still find it cheap.

6 minutes ago, aminnich said:

It might just be the right time to start getting pneumatic stuff.  

Join the dark side...

We have pneumatics!

If you're after beams, frames, panels, gears and axles then 42055 can't be beaten. In the UK it often retails for under £125.

If you just want pneumatics then go for 42053; if you also want an L motor, shock absorbers and other nifty parts then go for 42043 - which, by the way, isn't going to be around much longer.

Hmmm

Im looking on bricklink right now.  I can get 42043, 42055 and some extra parts for less than $400.  Do I click checkout haha

21 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Hmmm

Im looking on bricklink right now.  I can get 42043, 42055 and some extra parts for less than $400.  Do I click checkout haha

Yes you do. Keep in mind that 42043 comes with twelve great truck wheels and additional parts that could be a great starter pack for making pneumatically operated dump truck ;)

Remember 42043 not only comes with pneumatics (what more do you need :grin:) but you also get a new large turntable, a small turntable, 4 hard shocks, 4 soft shocks, 3 telescopic slidy things, two diffs, 12 wheels, l motor, lots of gears, 6 cylinder engine and a finished model that is authentic with a crane that can actually lift something!

21 hours ago, aminnich said:

Is the only reason to get 42043 for the pneumatics?  I think I would rather get a set and buy more pneumatics on bricklink. 

BTW, anyone know of someone on bricklink that has a good reputation and has pneumatics for a good price?

Edit: content removed by Jim

42043 Pros (I have it)

• Great mix of parts, 2 diffs, 1 LA, 4 pneumatic cylinders, 1 pump, L motor, MB logo. :P

I have 42043, and you get 4 cylinders, while most set with LAs have 3 max.

My friend has 42055, good bulk parts set, not so good if you want some specific/special parts

Edited by Jim
Removed off topic Pneumatics vs LA

Let's not turn this into a Pneumatics vs LA discussion.

Back on topic please.

If I go for pneumatics, I would want the new V2 stuff, so old sets are out of the question.  If I buy a set for pneumatics it will be 42043, but if I decide to buy pneumatics from BL, I would get 42055 for the parts.  

Im lending more toward 42043 and a bunch of pneumatic parts. 

My next question; 

What should i get pneumatic wise? I have no idea what I would need.  I would rather have a pump on the vehicle and not use the hand pumper thing.  So keeping in mind what is included with 42043, what else would you buy?

36 minutes ago, Jim said:

Let's not turn this into a Pneumatics vs LA discussion.

Back on topic please.

Sorry Jim, we are just doing comparisons, no pneumatics are superior stuff, just comparing some sets for the OP. :)

8 minutes ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Sorry Jim, we are just doing comparisons, no pneumatics are superior stuff, just comparing some sets for the OP. :)

Posting about the pros and cons of Pneumatics vs LA's is not comparing sets for content :wink: 

No biggie....carry on!

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

If I go for pneumatics, I would want the new V2 stuff, so old sets are out of the question.  If I buy a set for pneumatics it will be 42043, but if I decide to buy pneumatics from BL, I would get 42055 for the parts.  

Im lending more toward 42043 and a bunch of pneumatic parts. 

My next question; 

What should i get pneumatic wise? I have no idea what I would need.  I would rather have a pump on the vehicle and not use the hand pumper thing.  So keeping in mind what is included with 42043, what else would you buy?

In terms of pneumatics, more of everything! But first I would probably get more hose because the ones you get in a modern set (where they are all pre cut to size) will rarely be the length you want. And if you cut them, you'll have to rejoin them/replace them to rebuild the original set. The third party hoses that are available are perfectly usable (though not quite as good as Lego's official hoses which you can buy from bricklink) and you can buy really long lengths, 25 meter lengths or perhaps even longer, if you go third party. Second would probably be a second motor pump. Official sets only ever use one pump. However only one pump, IMHO, never gives you the full potential. I use at least 2 but have used many more depending on the MOC. After that, just more cylinders of the size/type you need and valves. You could buy an air tank, but to be honest I don't use them most of the time. They seem to be better suited for models that use hand pumps IMHO. When you have a motorized compressor, the compressor must first work to fill the air tank before moving any cylinders so unless you have at least 4 motor pumps to keep the tank topped up with pressure I wouldn't bother with an air tank.

Edited by allanp

I do not think I am going to get a tank, I will just keep a compressor in whatever I am building.  I agree that one pump wont be enough, I'll pick up 2 more so that I have 3, you never know what I will need.  Same goes for the cylinders, you never know what you are going to need.  I will just pick up a bunch of different sizes, sticking with only V2 stuff.  As for the tubing, I will get 3rd party, that way I can cut it to the length I need.  

Here is what I am thinking to get as of right now;

1 42043 (includes; 1x11(1), 2x11(2), 1x5(1), pump(1), valve(4))

3 1x11 cylinders 

2 2x11 cylinders 

3/5 1x5 cylinders

2 pumps 

2 valves 

I think that will be a decent start, if I need more, I can always order another shipment on BL.  

42054 is also a great buy for parts. It has awesome tires, many recently released connectors and such parts. You get some small LAs and two large turntables. It also offers a fantastic building experience and the finished model looks awesome. 

I has everything, probably the best Technic set up to date in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, aminnich said:

3 1x11 cylinders 

2 2x11 cylinders 

I'd go for more 2x11 than 1x11. 1x11 are quite fragile with those rods that have aproximately a bar diameter.