Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

Collectible Minifigures question

With the new French guy in Series 17 of the CMF, anyone know what other countries have been done as CMFs before?

Series 1 had the Cheerleader (Cheerleading is very much an American thing)

Series 2 had the Mexican Sombrero Guy

Series 3 had the Hawaiian Hula Girl

Series 4 had the Japanese Kimono girl

Series 5 had the English Royal Guard

Series 6 had the Spanish Flamenco Dancer

Series 7 had the Scottish Bagpiper

Series 8 had the German Lederhosen Guy

Series 13 had the Indian Snake Charmer

Any other CMFs that can be considered as fitting with a specific modern day country or region? (The Fortune Teller looks a lot like a Gypsy to me but I dont think Gypsies are from any one specific country or region so that doesn't count)

Ignoring of course the Team GB and Team DFB series :)

The lederhosen guy, as well as the accompanying girl, could be Austrian or Swiss (or maybe even North Italian) as well - theyre more like Alpine figs

For the English, apart from the grenadier guard, you could also count the "bobby" policeman, the Sherlock-Holmes-style detective, the businessman, the forestman and forest maiden, Mr Good-and-Evil, and the Explorer and judge give me an English vibe as well, as does the Hamlet-reciting actor

For the Scots, we also have the highland battler

We have a leprechaun for the Irish, and probably the S14 bansee as well

For the US, we also have the Statue of Liberty, the revolutionary soldier, the marlyn-monroe-style hollywood starlet, the american football player, the baseball batter and pitcher, the  rapper, the hippie, the “blues brother” saxophonist, chihuahua-owning celebrity, skateboarders, wrestlers (S1 & S_), daredevil, biker, roller waitress and probably also the gangster and the S9 cop and the traffic cop. (possibly also the disco couple and the punk rock couple with the heavy metal guy)

And of cource, there are the wild west figs, which belong under the US category by default

(apart from the mohawk indian, who could also be claimed by Canadians, I guess)

The lumberjack anf the hockey player also could be Canadian, though they seem a bit too generic

For the French, we also have the musketeer, the mime and possibly the waiter and the fencer

For the Spanish, apart from the flamenco dancer, I wonder if the conquistador should be considered

For the Japanese, apart from the kimono girl, there is also the karate guy, the sumo werstler, the kendo guy, the ninja, and the samurai couple, and possibly the three mechs (and the spooky girl gives me a Japanese horror vibe)

For the Mexicans, apart from the maraca man, there is also the mariachi as well as the eagle warrior

The snake charmer could also be Middle Eastern / North African, which could match him with the desert warrior and the genie couple

The sad clown seems to be Italian to me, based on the comedia dell´arte. Funny thing that we dont have many Italian minifigs yet, unless we count the Gangster (which the Italians probably wouldnt like) or the Ancient Roman figs

The Viking and Valkyrie are Scandinavian figures, not sure if they can be attributed to one country. but we shouldnt be too broad, or we would have to classify the medieval/fantasy figs as “European”, which isnt too helpful.

The Eskimo seems to be a generic Arctic figure

The Vampire could be Romanian

And then there are the antiquity/mythology minifigs:

Ancient Egypt: mummy, pharaoh, Cleopatra, Egyptian warrior

Ancient Greece: Spartan, Minotaur, Medusa, Cyclops couple, the Xena minifig, the battle goddess (though the winged warrior seems to be too far out there to be conssidered here)

Ancient Rome: legionary, centurion, emperor, faun, myrmillo-style gladiator and now the retiarius-style gladiator

I wonder where to put the mermaids – ancient Greece seems to be the logical choice due to their origin, but the Danes have a claim through Hans Christian Andersen.  

For Santa, I would say the US, as its clearly the American imagining of the character, and therefore the short elf as well.

What abouth the yeti and bigfoot? And the ballerina? I thought about putting the pop star in with the Americans, but she could be from anywhere, due to the globalized nature of pop-music.

And the surfers? U.S.? Specifically Hawaiian? Australian?

And what about the circus figs? Stereotypically American? Or could the clowns be British, thanks to Joseph Grimaldi?

Whew, what a write-up.

EDIT: added several new suggestions

Edited by Ardelon

@Ardelon That was amazing

Pop Star is definitely based on Britney Spears

and Yeti is from Nepal

But I think jonwil meant minifigures with stereotypical clothes from each country.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

@Ardelon That was amazing

Pop Star is definitely based on Britney Spears

and Yeti is from Nepal

But I think jonwil meant minifigures with stereotypical clothes from each country.

If thats the case, then :blush:

But Thanks! It was fun compiling this list anyway :laugh:

And perhaps Tiki warrior is from New Zealand  or some other island in the South Pacific.