Sign in to follow this  
yoshi98bc

7 Wide Baseplate for Power Functions Train Motor

I've been trying to build some 7 wide passenger cars and I used some techniques to center the train motor attachment hole utilizing lego part 3176, the 3x2 plate with hole.  However, this works with train motors but not that great.  The whole car wobbles quite a bit since the train motor is meant to be used with a single plate width.  I was wondering what people use when building 7 wide to attach the train motors.  Thanks

I tend to use 2 x 8 technic plates with holes with 5 or 6 jumper plates on top.  I model North American freight diesel-electric locos that tend to have large frames so the thickness of the part isn't so much of a problem.  The rest of the frame is composed of long 2 x n plates with plenty of 2 x 3 plates used as cross-members.  This uses a suprisingly large amount of parts but it does make for a pretty stiff frame!

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

I also use 2x4, 2x6 or 2x8 Technic Plates to attach the pin of a train motor to my train base plates. If they are build in odd width, I use jumper plates or 1x2 Technic bricks with either 1 or 2 holes to get a stable half stud offset.

Here is an example: 

LEGO Vectron

Another good option are 1x8 or 1x10 Technic plates with holes on the end if you want to attach a 4x6 boogie plate to an odd width base plate of a locomotive or wagon.

Holger