32160465643_3c11794e53.jpg

Eslandola Hall.  Previously the favorite walk of Eslandola’s unfortunate ex-monarch, this arched gallery was opened to the public shortly after his de facto removal from power.  It’s a great place for a friendly discussion, a leisurely date, artistic meditation, or, if you’re an eccentric Sea Captain, for a good-humored clash or two.

32975149425_d130cf0624.jpg

“Good day, nephew.” 

Guy had asked his Uncle if they couldn’t have a quiet talk at the Hall this afternoon.

32975171555_9aed925712.jpg

“Hello, Uncle.  I have some news for you.”

“Ah.”

“I’m resigning my position as Secretary of State, and also as leader of MCTC.”

Uncle merely nodded.

Guy was quite astounded at his lack of surprise.  “Well, Uncle!  Don’t you want to know why?”

“If you want to tell me, I’ve no objection to listening.”

“But… but… aren’t you surprised?”

“Maybe.”

Guy shook his head in a bit of exasperation, half feigned.  “Well, then, Uncle, the fact is… well, I mean… you see… I’m thinking about marrying.”

Now, indeed, Uncle did look surprised.  He let out a long whistle.  “What a whopper!” he muttered under his breath, but not loud enough to be heard.  Then, seeing that Guy obviously expected him to say something, he asked, “And who is the most unfortunate young lady upon whom you have cast your eyes?  I pity her from my heart.”

Guy laughed a little, then said, almost with a blush, “Well, you see, I haven’t really decided yet, you know.”

“Oh!  Yes, it makes sense now,” Uncle muttered soto voce.

Guy heard it, and asked, “What makes sense, Uncle?”

“Oh, never mind.  Was that all you had to say?”

“Ye-es… I suppose so, if you have no further curiosity as to my motives, or my successor, or where I’m going, or – anything else?”

“Well, in fact, I don’t see why you can’t be MCTC leader and have a wife, at the same time.”

Guy looked as though he had been expecting this question and had prepared his answer long beforehand.  “Yes, but you see, Uncle,” he began grandly, “after much mature deliberation I decided that a husband really ought to spend time with his wife, you know, and really, you’ve no notion how heavy of a press of business accompanies leadership in the MCTC!”

“Haven’t I?  I do it all myself.”

Guy colored slightly.  “True, true, Uncle, you are a tremendous help, but, for all that,” (with a pitiful sigh) “I’m incredibly overworked!”

Uncle looked at him quizzically.  “Am I to understand that you are giving up your very prestigious and very easy position as Secretary of State and head of the MCTC so that you may have more time with a wife that you don’t even know exists?”

“Well, Uncle, if you put it that way… and, of course, I may have other, secondary reasons… you know…”

“Yes, such as going on a hunt to find what is rumored to be the greatest treasure of the New World?”

“Uncle!” Guy’s face was a complete blaze of astonishment.  “How on earth did you know?!?”

“Maybe by dropping the map in front of your face?”

Guy looked also a little crestfallen seeing the march that had been stolen upon him.  Then suddenly a new thought intruded itself and he jumped up as he exclaimed, “Uncle!  Was it you?!? – you that added those lines, that made me retire?!?!  Oh!  I’m sure it was!  Uncle!  Why ever did you do that?!?”

“Well,” he drawled, “I didn’t want the press of business to have an ill effect on your health.”

“Pshaw!  Uncle, you know well enough that… well… umph!”

“Oh, you’ll forgive me.  Treasure hunting is a full time job, and I do think you’d have too much to do if you were leader of MCTC on top of that.  Besides,” with a twinkle in his eye, “now, you know, you might have a bit of time to devote to that wife you’re so eager to find…”

“But is that map really authentic?”

“Oh, it’s authentic all right.”

“Wherever did you get it?”

“That is my secret.”

“Why aren’t you following it yourself?”

“Bah!  These treasure maps are all humbug.  Probably the old Captain was woozy.  Buried an old neck cloth and now the world’s been on a wild goose chase for sixty years.  – Go get yourself lost.”

Later that night, Uncle was sitting with his wife Elaine, listening to his youngest daughter’s efforts on the piano.  “How did your time with Guy go, dear?”

“Pretty well.  He wants to get married.”

Elaine looked at him in complete astonishment.  “Get married?!  Your nephew?  The one with the crazy hair?  I can’t believe it.”

“He said it.”

“To whom?”

“He doesn’t know yet.”

“Oh!”  Elaine laughed.  Then she added more gravely, “But was he serious?”

“It wasn’t spoken in jest, if that’s what you mean.  I dare say he’s not in a hurry, however.”  He gave his wife a sidelong glance.  “But I wouldn’t advise you to meddle!”

“No, no… of course not…” she replied absently.

Here are a few more pictures of the hall!

32820762392_4b5263284f.jpg

32594138860_8fce4b307f.jpg

C&C welcome!

A regal hall to be sure. It's just a shame you have all those nasty commoners loitering about when they should be off serving the crown.

The build is great. The gold accents are well done and make the hall look far more majestic. The pattern in the floor is very nice as well and adds some excellent details to the long, open hall. The painting looks a little tall and narrow (but then again, we can't expect some greenie to have an Oleander's refined sense of art and culture:tongue:), but it doesn't detract from the rest of the build.

In the first picture, is the lady playing a harp? If so, it is a clever design, and if not, well, I really don't know what it is.:grin:

I sure hope that Guy's gallivanting through New Terra doesn't deny us Uncle's humor.

Well done on the great harp. The lady playing looks to be one of the nine High Priestesses of the Crahaish neh Triuri. There are a number of songs praising the Triuri written for the great harp.

The hall itself is elegant, as befits a state building.

A very elegant hall, and a fantastic build! And the harp is quite clever!  :thumbup:

I would love to see an overall view just to get a sense of the size of the build.

And Guy's Uncle gave him the map. Hmm... Very interesting...

On 2/18/2017 at 6:33 PM, Captain Genaro said:

A regal hall to be sure. It's just a shame you have all those nasty commoners loitering about when they should be off serving the crown.

The build is great. The gold accents are well done and make the hall look far more majestic. The pattern in the floor is very nice as well and adds some excellent details to the long, open hall. The painting looks a little tall and narrow (but then again, we can't expect some greenie to have an Oleander's refined sense of art and culture:tongue:), but it doesn't detract from the rest of the build.

In the first picture, is the lady playing a harp? If so, it is a clever design, and if not, well, I really don't know what it is.:grin:

I sure hope that Guy's gallivanting through New Terra doesn't deny us Uncle's humor.

Thanks! :pir-grin:  The painting is actually supposed to be more of a tapistry but it didn't turn out quite as I had envisioned... I was kind of running out of time by the time I got around to it, actually!

Yes, that's a harp! :laugh:

Oh, I'll have to find a way to keep Uncle around!

On 2/18/2017 at 8:22 PM, gedren_y said:

Well done on the great harp. The lady playing looks to be one of the nine High Priestesses of the Crahaish neh Triuri. There are a number of songs praising the Triuri written for the great harp.

The hall itself is elegant, as befits a state building.

Thanks gedren!

On 2/18/2017 at 9:24 PM, Capt Wolf said:

A very elegant hall, and a fantastic build! And the harp is quite clever!  :thumbup:

I would love to see an overall view just to get a sense of the size of the build.

And Guy's Uncle gave him the map. Hmm... Very interesting...

Thanks Capt Wolf!  Here are a couple of behind the scenes shots where you can see how big it is.

19 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fine build, fine development of story and (almost as expected) lots of fine details in the MOC!

:thumbup:

Thanks Captain! 

Ha ha, I was right! :grin:  Excellent build and great story as always, Kai, the pillars, golden decorations, rug, and chandelier give it a very Eslandolan look, and the statues and tapestries definitely capture the regal part as well!  Great job, and looking forward to where this story is going! :laugh: :thumbup:

Great use of colours Kai!! It has a majestic feeling over it!

The tapistry is very neat :D

Great looking hall, Kai. I really like the overall colourscheme and layout. The carpet on the floor is my favourite detail - it has just the right texture and thickness compared to the surrounding floor - and those round gold 1x1's look like the frizzly bits at the end of a carpet. The harp is very nice too, although just a few strings would have improved it even more. I like the pillars too, and you've got some nice minifigs in there. As always, the story is amusing - I wish the young Guy all the best in the hunt for treasures of both heart and mind!

On 2/21/2017 at 0:26 AM, Bart said:

great architecture! love the floor. 

Thanks Bart!

16 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Great work Kai.  That tapestry is quite clever.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Ha ha, I was right! :grin:  Excellent build and great story as always, Kai, the pillars, golden decorations, rug, and chandelier give it a very Eslandolan look, and the statues and tapestries definitely capture the regal part as well!  Great job, and looking forward to where this story is going! :laugh: :thumbup:

Thanks Garmadon! :pir-grin:

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Great use of colours Kai!! It has a majestic feeling over it!

The tapistry is very neat :D

Thanks Maxim!  Those colors are fun to work with!

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Great looking hall, Kai. I really like the overall colourscheme and layout. The carpet on the floor is my favourite detail - it has just the right texture and thickness compared to the surrounding floor - and those round gold 1x1's look like the frizzly bits at the end of a carpet. The harp is very nice too, although just a few strings would have improved it even more. I like the pillars too, and you've got some nice minifigs in there. As always, the story is amusing - I wish the young Guy all the best in the hunt for treasures of both heart and mind!

That's exactly what I was going for with the rug there... though scraping together enough 1x1s and even more, all those cheese slopes was not easy!  Strings... hmm.  I think they would have maybe been too difficult to get in the right place.  But maybe not.  I might try it out, if I use the harp again!

Thanks! :pir-grin:

18 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Fantastic work here!

Thanks Elostirion!

Another beautiful build from you! The columns, gold arches, harp, red-and-gold rug, etc are all excellent. It definitely meets the description of its original purpose.

And the story... hahaha. How convenient!

On 3/17/2017 at 0:02 PM, Captain Dee said:

Another beautiful build from you! The columns, gold arches, harp, red-and-gold rug, etc are all excellent. It definitely meets the description of its original purpose.

And the story... hahaha. How convenient!

Thank you!  What would story-tellers do without coincidences? :laugh: