Wolfolo

Help for mecha shoulder mechanism

I'm trying to make an improvement to my Macross SDF-1 shoulder mounts.
While they need to be really sturdy to be able to keep in place the Armd carriers, they should also be able to rotate, have the particle cannons on the front/back and the link should be made so it can hold the Armd in the 2 different positions while in battle mode or in ship mode.

Here you can find the pictures of the current built model, and here you can see the replacement I'm working on.

The problem are:

• only 1 stud connection for the shoulder pivot is really weak
  • the link with hinges are right only in ship mode, but not in battle mode, as I can't rotate the Armd any more towards front

The requirements are:

• the parts must exist (in the colour provided and not custom/modified/glued) as it is a real model
  • the size should not be too much different than the one I used
  • OPTIONAL: the external visible parts should exist in white, while the hinge and modified bricks/plates should exist in light bluish grey, as I'm planning a Robotech version of the SDF-1 too

Thanks in advance :)

Have you tried looking at what Nexo Knights has to offer? There are one or two shifting mechanisms in the first wave of sets.

Only on images, but the parts seem the usual ones to me, or maybe is that I have really limited imagination, could you point me towards what you think it could suit my needs?

Well, I was trying to think of decent shifting mechanisms/parts (I adore Macross/Robotech, so I have a few ideas about making an SDF-1)  I had hopes for this rotation joint:

44224.jpg?0  44225.jpg?0

(Images are links) but I realise it may take out some angles of movement and be off scale. Mixel ball-joints are also very versatile.

I'd like to help more, but I work a lot better at solving MOCs with my hands (never got on with LDD).

Mmmh, that's too big, I need to keep it max 3x3x2, the one on the right is already too big and can't be attached firmly.

http://i.imgur.com/ghJsAIZ.png

I already solved the problem in the bigger version (completely transformable too, which is on hold because of missing parts) I'm prototyping, which uses a lot of turntables, the 4x4 big ones, and the hinges you suggested.

I'll try with ball joints, maybe I'll find a good compromise between aspect and functionality :thumbup:

EDIT: with ball joints it looks ok.. now I only hope the single stud on the shoulder is enough to keep it in place

pvuywRr.png

EDIT: I tried the assembly with the real parts, the link arm was too short and I added another segment, the single stud connection instead doesn't work at all, the 1x2 brick modified with studs on both sides pop out by itself even at rest, I tried by replacing it with a similar part (Brick, Modified 1 x 2 x 2/3 with Studs on Sides) to be able to use a 1x1 plate which seem to be a bit more reliable, but the arms still fall down :(

Edited by Wolfolo

It seem a bit difficult to connect it to other parts, maybe I could try with other technic connectors, I want to build it stud-out but if no other solution is possible I'm open to more suggestions.