aminnich

Thoughts on reverse engineering someone else's MOC

Hi guys, 

I have seen a ton of great MODs/MOCs on this forum for the time I have been a member.  A lot of those creations, IMO, are better than the official Technic sets; whether the official set is just heavily modified or the creation is built from the ground up with no instructions at all.  I am inspired by these builders like many other fellow members of this forum are too. 

That all being said, I want to know your opinion;  What do you think of people trying to recreate the "professional grade" builds?  Or even just amateur builds? 

Some of these creators do post instructions, but not everyone wants to buy the instructions to build their model.  Other creators post a lot of pictures of their model with video of how the functions work.  Just by going through these pictures/videos thoroughly, you can pretty much build whatever it is.   (depending on the level of detail) 

Me personally, I like to go through MODs/MOCs and see how to build different mechanisms and try to implement them into my models.  Some times, that does mean trying to copy that part of the model  I am looking at.  

I don't see any issue with it so long as you are not taking credit for a design you have purposefully copied from someone else.

I have tried reverse-engineering many MOCs before and thought of this. I haven't posted them all here (yet) because they aren't exactly the same or as good as the original. And for another reason, out of respect for the original builders. I can see that some wouldn't like their MOC posted again, so when I do decide to post someone else's, I always credit them with the original design.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

39 minutes ago, allanp said:

I don't see any issue with it so long as you are not taking credit for a design you have purposefully copied from someone else.

Yup. +1

And if the original builder for some reason did not want their creation r. Engineered,  then out of respect it should not be. Other than that I see no problem

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

And if the original builder for some reason did not want their creation r. Engineered,  then out of respect it should not be. Other than that I see no problem

I don't see why I would have to follow this. If the original builder doesn't want others to reverse engineer MOC he shouldn't share it.

Reverse-engineering and profiting without permission is another story though.

Reverse engineering of a MOC it has no sense for me, in any case we have to improve them because sure we have new pieces to make them better, new turntables, pneumatics, connectors, panels to use are good examples for me. In fact when I build old Lego sets to take a rest I improve them with new parts but respecting the exterior aesthetics.

39 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Reverse engineering of a MOC it has no sense for me, in any case we have to improve them because sure we have new pieces to make them better, new turntables, pneumatics, connectors, panels to use are good examples for me. In fact when I build old Lego sets to take a rest I improve them with new parts but respecting the exterior aesthetics.

:thumbup: +1 for Jorgeopesi.

I have reverse-engineered a lot of MOCs and ideas from a lot of other builders, gearboxes, axles, body-works, suspensions and many other things, and as well, i know people who have used some of my MOCs and ideas, for me, both cases are acceptable as long as these actions don´t affect the original designer, i would try to avoid posting instructions of models which include designs of other builders which are meant to be sold, that way i wont affect the original designer and in both cases i also expect credits for the original designer; and backing to reverse-engineering a MOC or idea, i think it is also a good practice for every builder and it is like some kind of tribute for the original designers, it also trains your skills and your knowledge about building techniques, and this can also be possible with official sets, i have seen many people who have made whole official sets from only a few pictures or videos, for me this shows how skilled and experiences one can be at the time of recreating a set, so, i think reverse-engineering can be accepted with the previous conditions.

19 hours ago, zux said:

I don't see why I would have to follow this. If the original builder doesn't want others to reverse engineer MOC he shouldn't share it.

Reverse-engineering and profiting without permission is another story though.

I wouldn't pretend to tell you that you "have to" follow this...... Just my opinion, that is all.  :wink:

I don't share the opinion that just because something is online it is free game for anyone to do with it as he/she pleases.  I get that is the reality.  No question there. But we often place responsibility on people who post things online, and undoubtedly there is responsibility, but often neglect to consider the responsibility of viewers.  My comment was more directed to a simple respect of the poster thing.  If someone posts something, and says they don't want it copied - I wouldn't - but just as kind of a respect, gentleman's agreement kind of thing.  But I get that others may not follow it.