Sign in to follow this  
uefchen

Mechanical Chain Counter

Because I did not feel like each time to count the individual chain links, I built a device that makes it easy for me.

I could not believe myself that the counter counts 100% accurate. Have fun reverse engineering, Greeting üfchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NphWEtmI8MU 

Edited by uefchen

That is great!  I especially don't like counting out the smaller type of links, since even weighing them on a gram scale is hard because they're so light.  Nice (and useful) build!  :classic:

why don't you flip the hubs/numbers around the other way? then you could read the numbers correctly?  maybe build a mask/frame, so that only the correct number is visible?

other than that.. well done!  I too have an insane amount of tracks, for use in GBC's.. so this would sure come in handy!

this is the most useful build I've seen you do!  Great job!

one thing though, how about some bionicle teeth to point to which number to read to make it easier for those of us who are visually challenged? :wink:

Great mechanics, bravo! :thumbup:

It would be nice though, if You could use embedded videos. It is just copying the link here, and it wil be automatically converted.

18 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

why don't you flip the hubs/numbers around the other way?

For most counts below 100, a German would find it more convenient the way he's set them up.

20 hours ago, suffocation said:

For most counts below 100, a German would find it more convenient the way he's set them up.

Just because numbers written differently doesn't mean numerals are easier to read in the wrong order.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:35 PM, deraven said:

That is great!  I especially don't like counting out the smaller type of links, since even weighing them on a gram scale is hard because they're so light.  Nice (and useful) build!  :classic:

I think it would be rather simple to make one for smaller tracks, just use a 40z gear for counting the gears, then have two 16:8 ratios = 4:1, so every time the 40z gear moves 10 teeth, the output counter moves one full rotation.

I think it would be possible to make a combined mechanism for both track sizes, just us a 16z gear for counting the tracks, then have a 16:8 ratio, then the large 8 tooth sprocket, and finally a 16:20 ratio for the output to the counting mechanism. as you would get a 1:1.25 for the large sprockets, and a 2:1 for the smaller chains.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky