Carefree_Dude

What's a good alternative color scheme for the 10219 Maersk Train?

The Maersk Train was one of my favorite builds. Several months ago, I lost most of my Lego due to a storage unit theft. The set itself is too expensive to buy, but I was thinking I could build a similar train. What is a good alternate color scheme for the original model that I could do for under $100? I already have train baseplates, wheelsets, all the PF, etc so most of the expensive parts are already covered. 

What color parts do you have a lot of?  You could try Conrail blue or Norfolk Southern black.

53 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

What color parts do you have a lot of?  You could try Conrail blue or Norfolk Southern black.

Currently I have a ton of red and green. The southern black looks lovely! 

Actually I just saw this in another thread, and I am in love! 

IMG_4317

Edited by Goldenmasamune

You can easily do a Southern Pacific (Dark Bluish Gray with red ends) that would be cheaper because DBG is so common. There is also the blue Conrail versions by @zephyr1934 that looks amazing. If you get creative you could do a CSX or old blue/yellow Santa Fe with a Warbonnet but those parts and build are a little harder. 

There is also the orange BNSF or the Green/Back BN color scheme.

If you get creative you could probably do a UP version too.

The real life engine that the Maersk is inspired by is the SD40-2 and is one of the most widely used diesels ever made so there are plenty of alternates to base a re-color of the maersk on. I have the blue/yellow Santa Fe and the Gray/Red Southern Pacific already made in LDD. If you would like the files to make ordering from BrickLink easier, let me know. If you can wait a little bit I could probably even manage some instructions as well. 

I personally am diggin' that Canadian National version, the Illinois Central Operation Lifesaver is nice as well!  But lets get real folks, shouldn't we call this what it more closely resembles, a GP40-2?  I know Lego had their constraints when doing the Maersk SD40-2 but there are alternatives out there.  Sorry to get a bit off topic and it's obviously just my opinion but Lego made a GP40-2 and tweaked it at that.

13 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Currently I have a ton of red and green. The southern black looks lovely!

Actually I just saw this in another thread, and I am in love!

Canadian Pacific has an all red colour scheme that looks pretty nice with black trucks and underframe.  With lots of red and green, it is possible to freelance a holiday version for next Christmas.  :wink:

3 hours ago, Dansharos said:

I personally am diggin' that Canadian National version, the Illinois Central Operation Lifesaver is nice as well!  But lets get real folks, shouldn't we call this what it more closely resembles, a GP40-2?  I know Lego had their constraints when doing the Maersk SD40-2 but there are alternatives out there.  Sorry to get a bit off topic and it's obviously just my opinion but Lego made a GP40-2 and tweaked it at that.

Yup, with B-B trucks instead of C-C trucks (and one dynamic brake cooling fan instead of two), it's a GeeP.  

All these are so beautiful! If I were not so interested in steam a fleet of SD's in different liveries would be something I could really get behind for myself.

I gotta say, I'm really impressed. I ran through the parts for the CN color scheme, and if I exclude the yellow base plate (have it) train bogies (have them) and the long black tubes, I can get all the parts via bricklink for a mere $33 plus shipping.

Hi guys! this CN engine is mine! and I really like it! I am from Canada and it reminds me of my childhood. I printed the stickers myself at home. I had bought some off eBay  but they looked way too pink and I could not use them. So, do not buy those off eBay. I do not remember who the seller was but he never aknowledged the important color inaccuracy of his stickers (even though I had sent him clear pictures of the color problem...he said my bricks were the wrong red, not his stickers...) The white stickers are just plain white sticker sheets that I cut with an X-acto.

Oh, and the base is black, I just applied one long, thin yellow sticker on each side of the plate.

Edited by legocharles

2 hours ago, legocharles said:

Hi guys! this CN engine is mine! and I really like it! I am from Canada and it reminds me of my childhood. I printed the stickers myself at home. I had bought some off eBay  but they looked way too pink and I could not use them. So, do not buy those off eBay. I do not remember who the seller was but he never aknowledged the important color inaccuracy of his stickers (even though I had sent him clear pictures of the color problem...he said my bricks were the wrong red, not his stickers...) The white stickers are just plain white sticker sheets that I cut with an X-acto.

Oh, and the base is black, I just applied one long, thin yellow sticker on each side of the plate.

You did a wonderful job on the stickers! I gotta say, using a black plate with yellow stickers was genius. Those yellow plates are expensive, so I'm thankful I already have one. I don't really have the means to print my own decals so I may have to go for one of the ebay sellers. 

I'm curious, what would container cars to match the train look like? I have several of the long/lowered train plates in black, yellow, and light bluish gray I could easily turn into container cars. 

Also, is there a good alternative to those black hoses used on the sides of the train? I can't justify $5-$8 each for those things. 

There are all sorts of obvious color schemes. The large tiles are the obvious limiting factor, but you could probably work around those too. Beyond the liveries already mentioned, D&RGW also comes to mind. I've done up instructions for a Conrail build (here) as a gateway MOC/MOD for AFOLs looking to build beyond the sets or simply to have a copy of the Maersk at a much more affordable price. It gets most of the train specific parts from set 60052. I've sell stickers for CR, UP, SP and CSX so far. I made a special CN print for someone so I could probably be talked in to making a CN variant too. I've built up some well cars to go behind my GPs, posted here. There are some subtle building tricks to get cars this long able to negotiate standard lego curves. Nothing too complicated though. I want to make up instructions for these cars, but at the time I built them I had to buy up all of the available lots on bricklink for a few of the parts in the build. So I would likely make the instructions for a different color and owner, but I have not had time to think much about that.

On 2/18/2017 at 1:16 PM, legocharles said:

For the yellow sticker on the baseplate, I have used Automotive Striping tape to good effect before - they come in all sorts of widths, including one that is almost an exact match with the height of a baseplate, and cost less than $5 for an entire roll (you can do 100s of baseplates with a roll). Check your local auto store.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:16 PM, supertruper1988 said:

You can easily do a Southern Pacific (Dark Bluish Gray with red ends) that would be cheaper because DBG is so common. There is also the blue Conrail versions by @zephyr1934 that looks amazing. If you get creative you could do a CSX or old blue/yellow Santa Fe with a Warbonnet but those parts and build are a little harder. 

The real life engine that the Maersk is inspired by is the SD40-2 and is one of the most widely used diesels ever made so there are plenty of alternates to base a re-color of the maersk on. I have the blue/yellow Santa Fe and the Gray/Red Southern Pacific already made in LDD. If you would like the files to make ordering from BrickLink easier, let me know. If you can wait a little bit I could probably even manage some instructions as well. 

On 2/16/2017 at 10:16 PM, supertruper1988 said:

The real life engine that the Maersk is inspired by is the SD40-2 and is one of the most widely used diesels ever made so there are plenty of alternates to base a re-color of the maersk on. I have the blue/yellow Santa Fe and the Gray/Red Southern Pacific already made in LDD. If you would like the files to make ordering from BrickLink easier

I apologize for the unnecessary quoting, I can't seem to get rid of them. 

Anyways the parts for my CN train and two yellow container cars are slowly coming in! Should have it all by Saturday 

4 hours ago, dxpert said:

@supertruper1988 could you share those LDD files?

Sure thing! 

Here is a link to my bricksafe which I have just uploaded the files to https://bricksafe.com/pages/supertruper1988/

You will want to check them over carefully for part availability and price. I know that the yellow windows I used in the Santa Fe version might be very costly. I would recommend switching them for the 1x2x2 version instead of the 1x4x2 ones. 

Share some pics if you build them! 

For the Southern Pacific version, I worked with @zephyr1934 to make some decals and I believe that he has them in his bricklink store.