Ecclesiastes

Challenge: "A safe haven"- Celebrating five years of GoH!

Winners:

A-1 The Meastro

A-2 Henjin_Quilones

B-1 mccoyed

B-2 Henjin_Quilones

C Exetrius

A side quest that takes place at the end of Book II and start of Book III!

30607501253_83540ced7b_c.jpg

A safe haven: Celebrating five years of Guilds of Historica

Since the betrayal of Revolworld started five years ago, Historica has seen no real peace. Elemental monsters destroyed the landscape so familiar to generations. The king disappeared, civil wars occurred, Raavage rose to power and ancient races claim back their lands.  So it's obvious many are longing for better days. Or better places...

Yes, Historicans are adventurous. But that's mostly limited to exploring the mainland. And yes there's Varlyrio, but that's attainable by foot or small boat when the tide is low. So what lies behind the horizon? Harbor cities are sometimes visited by strange merchants with rare goods. Often speaking strange languages, but that's because they're coming from a different Guild. Or could it be that they are coming from way further?

Categories.

30607496913_ab07493921_c.jpg

A. Homestead(1 and 2)

"Finally! Land! Can't see if it's an uninhabited island yet, but it seems fit for a new and safer life for now. Maybe even for forever... "

Build a newly discovered place to find refuge. Here you are safe for now! It could be just a shed on a small island, a lively unknown city or Ruins from an old civilization which is a perfect shelter to make a new start again. 

1. For those with limited bricks: Max 32x32 studs (1st prize: 7572)

2. For others, no limitations! (1st prize: 7946)

31378665326_36e7bba903_b.jpg

B. New friends

"Races unfamiliar and armor so strong it makes you wonder how to ever defeat someone wearing it. Yes, all these new people you'll meet are nothing you've seen on mainland."

The GoH CMF challenge was one of the most popular ones, so let's do it again! Create 18 new minifigs that fit perfectly in the (new) world of Historica. Each minifig should have a description, front and back photo. And to finish your entry, an overview showing all the figs together.  (1st: 97011, 2nd: 6918)

(Previous contest)

31414556075_78005c1188_c.jpg

C. The journey.

"Unless you own a dragon to ride you will need a ship. Small ones or large ones, it all depends on the journey!"

Build a ship that will get you to your new destination. (1st prize: 70736 )

Rules.

-Entries must be submitted by the 9th of November(Very first GoH post!) 3rd of February! Yes, that's more than plenty of time! So you'll have plenty of time to focus on other challenges as well. And more importantly, you can give it your very best!

-No clone stuff, only Lego!

-You must have build at least 5 free builds to join this challenge. Don't have 5 free builds yet? Start building!

-Questions in this topic! And entries in this one!

-We are free to change any rules when needed.

-Entries will be scored by judges!

- Oh before I forget, feel free to add this logo which represents GoH from now on(it might give you bonus points:wink:):

31270915622_dd1e32a0d4.jpg

Just for clarification, the "B. New Friends" challenge is to create 18 inhabitants of the new land that we discover in "A. Homestead", right? Not 18 minifigs from our lands in the currently-known Historica? That's how I read it, but I just wanted to make sure. And the intent is not to print our own torso prints or anything like that, but to come up with unique and novel combinations of LEGO-issued minifig parts that reflect a new culture, correct?

This sounds epic, by the way. I can hardly wait, but I am also glad you have given us some time to work it all out...

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

The challenge is a great idea and all, and I don't mean to be rude or offending in any way, so I'll start by saying that Ecclesiastes has done a great job setting up this challenge and with his build. Anyways, my concern is that this might draw attention away from Historica itself. What I'm trying to say is that I don't really want a whole exploration boom or something. I mean, we have BoBS for that. My other concern is that this might draw away from the medieval fantasy world that GoH was intended to be. If that is not the case, then please disregard this. I am also not trying to be rude or offensive in any way. In fact, I think this challenge is great, and I will surely build for.

Also, my second question, actually a few questions, is, referring to Category A. Will our sigfig be able to live on the island/place we discover? I actually have an idea that involves this. Is the place we discover going to be incorporated into the story line, or is it just just for this challenge? What I'm trying to say is, can we discover an island somewhere outside Historica, have our sigfig move to it, and continue to live there, as long as we still are associated with a certain guild? 

I love the idea of this challenge, although it will be hard to make an distinguished folk and landscpae from what we already
made in Historica without going off topic too much.

I will take this challenge and hope there will be some great entries.

Ths is amazing! The more challenges, the more fun, and there defenitely is plenty of time to build for them all!

I'm excited to see there's a new minifig sery, I was always so sorry that I missed the first one.

A ship? Comm'on, I just posted a ship :wink: 

13 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

The challenge is a great idea and all, and I don't mean to be rude or offending in any way, so I'll start by saying that Ecclesiastes has done a great job setting up this challenge and with his build. Anyways, my concern is that this might draw attention away from Historica itself. What I'm trying to say is that I don't really want a whole exploration boom or something. I mean, we have BoBS for that. My other concern is that this might draw away from the medieval fantasy world that GoH was intended to be. If that is not the case, then please disregard this. I am also not trying to be rude or offensive in any way. In fact, I think this challenge is great, and I will surely build for.

I know I'm just a newbie to GoH but I have to second this regardless.

14 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

Also, my second question, actually a few questions, is, referring to Category A. Will our sigfig be able to live on the island/place we discover? I actually have an idea that involves this. Is the place we discover going to be incorporated into the story line, or is it just just for this challenge? What I'm trying to say is, can we discover an island somewhere outside Historica, have our sigfig move to it, and continue to live there, as long as we still are associated with a certain guild? 

I guess I understand the concern, but I don't think it'll be an issue. After all, Historica is a kingdom with four regions. But it is ruled by a unifying King, which means Historica has to be unified against...something that's not Historica. If you read the books from a song of ice and fire, or watch the game of thrones, the world there is pretty similar. Westeros has 7 (actually more like 9) distinct regions, all of which are unified under one King. And although some of the story takes place in estoros, the focus is very much on westeros. 

I don't know yet if I'll be able to do anything For the other two categories (although there's plenty of time before November), but I'm so psyched for the minifig challenge again! Thank you for bringing it back!

Edited by MiloNelsiano

20 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:
20 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

This looks awesome Ecc! Can we recolor the horse to our own colors? 

Of course, feel free to spice it up!

16 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Just for clarification, the "B. New Friends" challenge is to create 18 inhabitants of the new land that we discover in "A. Homestead", right? Not 18 minifigs from our lands in the currently-known Historica? That's how I read it, but I just wanted to make sure. And the intent is not to print our own torso prints or anything like that, but to come up with unique and novel combinations of LEGO-issued minifig parts that reflect a new culture, correct?

This sounds epic, by the way. I can hardly wait, but I am also glad you have given us some time to work it all out...

Preferably yes, but it's all about making awesome minifig combinations. And yes, not printing or custom stuff. I've added the link from the previous contest for inspiration.

6 hours ago, narbilu said:

I love the idea of this challenge, although it will be hard to make an distinguished folk and landscpae from what we already
made in Historica without going off topic too much.

I will take this challenge and hope there will be some great entries.

I think that there's a lot of styles we haven't really covered yet. For example Feudal Japan, yes occasionally it comes across in Kalphlin but that's still way more Persian based. And don't forget civilizations that were highly advanced like the Inca's.

5 hours ago, TitusV said:

Ths is amazing! The more challenges, the more fun, and there defenitely is plenty of time to build for them all!

I'm excited to see there's a new minifig sery, I was always so sorry that I missed the first one.

A ship? Comm'on, I just posted a ship :wink: 

Well, a perfect opportunity to boost those shipbuilding skills of yours.:wink:

15 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

I don't really see that problem. It's still fantasy based, but the focus in this challenge just doesn't lies on the mainland. As the reference to BoB's, to be honest I haven't been following that, but that has a more pirate like vibe to me. 

You are free to use your sigfig of course and live there. But the main focus is that it should be a temporary place to live at, a safe haven for the time being. Hoping and waiting for better days to come. And about adding the newly discovered lands, it could be that we add the winner(s) to the map. Like we previously did with the Varlyrio challenge.

And don't apologize for saying your thoughts, it's an open community and we are always open for feedback and suggestions of all sort!:thumbup:

hehe I suspected you were up to something like this when you posted that (awesome) castle of yours on Flickr, glad to see you actually did it! ^^ 

Looking forward to trying out a new style of building outside of the four guilds...maybe a resurgence of the pre columbian civilizations..

I can't believe it's been five years! This looks fun though, and timed long enough that I can probably get something in.

A very interesting challenge indeed, look forward to seeing all the new styles and architectures we'll get through the first category :classic:

As soon as Challenge V is over, can't wait to get stuck into this!

:excited: Very exciting contest opportunities! It reminds me of the 5th Guild Challenge, which was really fun. Great to have so much time too!

Do sails for the ships need to be official Lego sails? Or can we make our own custom sails? I am assuming the latter, since Lego sails are relatively hard to come by and have very particular shapes, but I just wanted to make sure before I started daydreaming up a ship for the contest. 

And I don't mean to presume, but shouldn't this topic (and the posting page, too, probably) be pinned among those on the first page, like the current Challenge V thread is? It would make it easier to find and reference, rather than having to search through pages of builds, especially with all of the challenge builds. It's just a suggestion, so feel free to take it or leave it. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Is this going to be an official challenge?

Just wondering, I have plenty of idea's.

Official for sure!:wink: 

Gives us some time to have a look at all the fantastic entries of the last book and make up a story towards the next one!:grin:

Too bad I need to start packing my Lego now for the move to a new house and won't have it back until we move in at the start of October.
(I think however that right after the move is also not very appreciated by my wife if I dive straight into challenge crunch-time building :wink:)

20 hours ago, Gideon said:

Too bad I need to start packing my Lego now for the move to a new house and won't have it back until we move in at the start of October.
(I think however that right after the move is also not very appreciated by my wife if I dive straight into challenge crunch-time building :wink:)

@Gideon This was Oct 16 through April 17 for me, so I can feel your pain. You will however have time to build for Brickworld 2018, correct?

17 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

@Gideon This was Oct 16 through April 17 for me, so I can feel your pain. You will however have time to build for Brickworld 2018, correct?

Somehow both my wife and the real estate agent agree that an oversized Lego collection is not something that increases the value of the house when we take photos of the rooms :wink:

Brickworld 2018 would be great to go to, the idea is already brewing in my head! Need to justify the flight with something more than Lego for a few days however :wink: 

On topic I had almost forgotten about this challenge but can't wait to see the expanded environments we will see in Historica! (I just hope most builders stay fairly close to the spirit and general time period of GoH :classic: )

How on earth did I miss this!? *huh* Some quick questions for:

1. Do all 18 figs need to be unique from one another? Or would it be okay to have "soldier 1, soldier 2" cases?
  2. Do all figures have to be new, as in: never published anywhere until the start of this contest? Or can we add (a few) older, published, figures as well?

To be honest, I think 18 completely unique and never-seen-before minifigs is tough to reach, so that's why I'm asking. However, I understand that the focus is to come up with something new and inspiring, and that it's definitely not an army building contest. Having said that, I would like to include some of my proudest figure creations from throughout the years (this is a celebration after all).

Two more things: I assume one entry per catagory, and no digital entries? 

Questions aside, this is a great contest, cool concept! Even with Historica's current diversity, it should be possible to come up with some inspiring new areas! :classic: A nice choice of categories, a great selection of prizes, and a royal deadline! :thumbup: I may need to revise my building plans for the summer holidays... :wink:

On 2017-5-26 at 4:31 PM, Rogue Angel said:

I just finished last month... am already starting to trial build again. 

Any idea when the fate of Historica is determined? 

For category B, how important is the backside picture of each minifigure? Some combos I'm trying out look strange with the second face printed on the back of the head. Are we allowed to swap the heads for that picture? Or what is the judges' preference?

Oh, and is this a purist contest like the last minifig challenge (no 3rd party)?

Edited by MiloNelsiano

This is a very interesting challenge I may take part in Cat B because I have a verry interesting set of combinations and some characters that I feel will blow you away(Some, depending on how the final chapter in book 2 results in, may be in the future story). :)