Sign in to follow this  
Blcwo

Suggestions for city diorama

Hello Eurobricks community.

I've been reading Eurobricks for quite few years and have been collecting LEGO for a while. (mostly starwars)

Anyhow, I have a question to the community:

I need some advices on how to plan and start making a... lets start from small urban town.

So the current resources I have now are:

I have a lot of townsfolk, 2 houses, and some handful of bulk parts for sure.

Few city vehicles if I remember it properly too. I have some green plates and plenty of old grey giant plates.

I dont have a normal city, working on a winter themed but beside that.

The best thing i can advice to plan it out is use excel.

Resize a lot of tables to a certain size and plan it out (Use color schemes etc)

And it is quite easy once you want to expand and such :)

Good luck with it !

4 hours ago, kokkie20 said:

I dont have a normal city, working on a winter themed but beside that.

The best thing i can advice to plan it out is use excel.

Resize a lot of tables to a certain size and plan it out (Use color schemes etc)

And it is quite easy once you want to expand and such :)

Good luck with it !

Thank you :D I see a lot of blog updates about people using sheets or excel to plan it :)

On 3/2/2017 at 5:27 AM, Chilis said:

@Blcwo Start with some tables and just start build! After alot of time, thinking, planning and spending you will end up with a proper city I guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqPRI_AENS/?taken-by=chilis_no

Sorry for the late reply. I was quite busy past month.

But, thank you for the advice! Afterall, LEGO collection can only be expanded our dedication and imagination! :D

You don't have a lot for your town so unless you plan on doing some heavy purchasing in a short amount of time there reall isnt anything to plan right now. You haven't even touched on what kinds of things will be in your town; are they going to be creator sets or modular buildings? If modular how quickly will you be buying them? Planning a town for a bunch of modulars and MOCs is going to look empty when you only have two modulars a couple of houses and a few cars.

Why not build a small layout and move around until you are happy, then change it up when you get more stuff. 

Dont worry about a bunch of detailed plans. Start with what you have and expand from there. One things you might want to consider up front is street and sidewalk design. Lego road plates, brick-built or or tiles like mine? Make sure that the sidewalks are at least 4 studs wide. The best things that livens up a layout/diorama are lots of people, trees and plants.

33119487092_3654891611_c.jpgDSC01936 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Best thing to do, is just start. It sounds like you don't have much currently. So, just start with what you have on one table, then just work out as you gain other things. I do a lot of YouTube watching of layouts as well. It'll give you many ideas. 

It is better to start very small.. you will learn how to decorate a street and you can always expand it later.. don't hesitate to replace things later, or for instance sell the fir trees and make brick-built trees later.. You can't have everything at once.. just develop your own style in it!

Hope to see something soon!

I just remembered making this post. Thanks everyone for help! My collection grew a bit more than it was 4 years ago. Still working on a block :P