kiwileaguefan

How do you store your trains when not in use?

Hey All,

Me and the kids are relatively new to lego trains and we currently have four sets with a fifth set on its way...

We have a small set so we can't have all the trains on the track when not in use....so it got me thinking of how we can store the trains when not in use....

Any chance you guys could share your methods or photos of storage of your trains and rolling stock when not in use??

I store them in clear plastic 20 litre tubs. I found a bunch at the local discount store for cheap. With a cardboard divider, I can stack two levels in one. The smaller cars fit the short direction and they hold quite a bit each.

Mine are stored in the bottom 3 drawers of this unit from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-art-40196241/) - two for locos and carriages/wagons and one for track/accessories.

I have to store some of the locos on their side rather than upright due to the height, but otherwise it's a good solution that allows you to store quite a lot.

Keeps them relatively dust free and out of the light too.

For home trains, I reused a LEGO box that sets were shipped in.  Roll in/roll out...

box.jpg

For LUG events, I use banker boxes and plastic tubs to store and transport those trains.

I display my train MOCs in made-to-measure acrylic glass showcases from Sudu (some standard sizes are available on ebay, too).
Yes, they're quite pricey, but quality is top-notch, and they offer both dust and UV protection.

800x533.jpg

If anyone has wondered how I get my trains to and fro all over the place, here is my secret: cardboard paper boxes. Fourteen (14) of them from all different places and companies. I tried asking for the empty ones at the Office Max / Office Depot stores, but they can't sell or give them away due to some corporate policy.

28849541936_d2d799d981_z.jpg

I had been getting them from my dad's work, and more recently, different offices I have been to / worked at. They are them cut-down by Xacto knife and hot glued back together with opening lid and section dividers, which allows for me to store trains a number of different combinations.

Most of the passenger cars are 24 studs long, with 1 studs of overhang over each coupler. However, the Spirit of Legoredo is an older 28 stud long design, and most steam locos are longer than 30 studs. Nevertheless, I have maximized space whenever possible.

Below you will see several variations on these boxes, and maybe they will help you with your train storage problems.

28263537464_eb3709a6ed_z.jpg

The left-to-right method

28805652071_f0dc56c8bb_z.jpg

The all-over-the-place method

28805652021_43089e3218_z.jpg

The front and back method

Their are many more (around 11) boxes, but most fit into these three types.

You may want to invest in a series of shelving units that are short wnoufh to fit underneath your trains' table(s). This way, you not only have storage space for whatever but also a blocker of sorts that'll keep bricks & people from straying underneath the table(s).

In the case of shelves that are the same height as the tables' height, you could then use the top of the shevles as extra surface area, thus increasing the size of the layout as a bonus.

hope this helps!

Large plastic totes. Shoe boxes inside of the totes house anywhere from 2-3 cars or locomotives. I also pull the batteries when I store them for any given amount of time.

I use Rubbermaid Roughneck totes in the 3, 10 or 14 Gallon size and the use foam wrap to prevent rubbing and rolling around.  Orientation is very dependent on the rolling stock.

These work well for taking the trains to shows.

Edited by pirzyk

Most of mine are wrapped in cling film (I think 'mericans call it Saran wrap) and then stacked in shopping crates between events. I've recently put a few shelves up to have one or two on display in the Lego room.

I've been meaning to make some proper transport boxes for a long time but sofar they haven't made it to the top of the todo list...

Piled into plastic tubs, 20L or so.  Each tub is growing a layer of parts in the bottom, but eh.  The kids are slow-motion smashing the trains up anyway just by playing with them, and that's fine because it's Lego eh?

7 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Piled into plastic tubs, 20L or so.  Each tub is growing a layer of parts in the bottom, but eh.  The kids are slow-motion smashing the trains up anyway just by playing with them, and that's fine because it's Lego eh?

LEGO trains are much easier to fix than superdetailed brass trains.  :wink:

I have enough rolling stock and unused engines to fill an entire room, so I bought some metal rod racks to keep them on, and the wheels fall right into the gaps so they are extremely stable and reliable. Most of the time I keep semi-actively used rolling stock on large sidings and unused lines on my layout.

Copy paper boxes are my storage mode of choice. 28-32 stud cars fit comfortably on the short dimension while longer equipment fits well the other way. I typically stack the cars two high in the box. Most of my old stuff is simply loosely packed with bubble wrap stuffed in the ends just to keep the trains from rattling around. For somewhat more recent builds I now place a sheet of bubble wrap between layers too. This type of packing should be sufficient for any lego set, they are pretty sturdy. I have a few wire shelves spaced to stack copy paper boxes two high, both to keep the boxes from crushing and to make it easy to pull out any given box. For my steam engines I put those in a large plastic tub to ensure I catch any parts that fall off (only happens occasionally) and built "football helmets" to protect delicate detailing on the nose. Some of my recent builds have very loose parts, e.g., the running boards on the end of this model. The parts will fall off, so I toss the entire car in a large ziploc bag before putting them in the copy paper boxes to keep the parts from getting lost. They quickly snap back on.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, dr_spock said:

For home trains, I reused a LEGO box that sets were shipped in.  Roll in/roll out...

box.jpg

For LUG events, I use banker boxes and plastic tubs to store and transport those trains.

The cardboard runners are brilliant.