brunojj1

[MOC] Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 DTM manual and RC in 1:10 scale

Those who are building the manual chassis - please pay attention at step 23 on page 38: the DBG 1L beam attached to the red shifter is barely visible in the instructions and ideally should be shown in another separate sub step.  

800x716.jpg

Yet another great model from you!

It's difficult for me to judge this car as I had been seeing whole progress from the very beginning but there is one thing I can say - it is a very sexy looking sports car! All mechanical functions work without any hiccups (engine, gearbox, shifting mechanism, doors, steering), it is visually striking model, instructions are great and easy to follow and no semi-advanced Lego Technic builder should have any problems with them and there are even professional stickers available for it. The only "decent" thing (it's not bad by any means, just not as great as the rest of the car) are front headlights. They look good from front view but a bit empty from side view. But I have seen quite a few different versions of them and I have no idea how to make them look any better, so I'm not really in a place to criticize here.

Here are some pictures:

I5hI22a.jpg

n2aiCNx.jpg

And pictures of whole DTM lineup - Audi RS5 DTM 2013 by Lipko, BMW M4 DTM 2014 by BrunoJJ and Merceds-AMG C63 DTM 2015 by BrunoJJ:

f9qCi9p.jpg

VK31hrV.jpg

2ekrLq1.jpg

Great job, Bruno, and I can't wait for your next project!

I would say the models look awesome together but clearly Bruno's models look much better...

4 hours ago, filuS said:

I5hI22a.jpg

Amazing looking model.  I really like the gunmetal wheels.  Hopefully the seller of these chrome parts is OK, it seems they have been in the hospital for quite awhile.

@Lipko don't sell yourself short, your Audi is still an amazing model, it is just different style of building (which I am glad for - it gives this tiny DTM collection a bit of diversity).

@technic_addict I want to give my cars a bit of individual touch so usually I add some chrome parts here and there. I ordered 4 sets of chromed wheels from Gabor a year ago, one set for each chrome color he was offering at that time - red, orange, silver and titanium black. I immediately loved titanium black chromed wheels so I decided to wait for the right model to use them for. And thanks to Bruno I found that right model.

I'm sorry to hear that Gabor is in hospital - hopefully he will get well soon.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:32 AM, Lipko said:

I would say the models look awesome together but clearly Bruno's models look much better...

It is hard to compare them.  Your Audi model uses a totally different construction style for the body which is more open with fewer panels.  This means you can't really put stickers on it which makes it look very distinct when you see them together.  This is still the first photo I have seen of all three together though and it is really cool to see.

I have just finished building the Silberpfiel manual version but I am still waiting for the stickers to arrive before I take photos.

Just now, LvdH said:

I'm curious how it looks without stickers. Would you mind taking a before and after picture for comparisons?

Sure, I can do that.  It looks a little plain without the stickers, but still pretty good.  I actually think the AMG version would be a better looking model if you are going to omit the stickers because of the 3 colors, but the Silberpfiel is the better looking model with stickers IMHO.

Here is a picture with my car.  It doesn't have stickers either!

800x625.jpg

7 hours ago, Blakbird said:

...  It doesn't have stickers either!

This made my day :laugh_hard: :thumbup:, thanks Eric!

I almost prefer it without sticker, it looks awesome. It really shows off the technical connections you had to do to make this work! Thanks for sharing Eric, I'd love to see some more sticker less pics. 

3 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

I almost prefer it without sticker, it looks awesome. It really shows off the technical connections you had to do to make this work! Thanks for sharing Eric, I'd love to see some more sticker less pics. 

+1  It looks incredible without stickers. Love the small exhaust sticking out. Front bumper is well done. You've outdone yourself Bruno!

I got these pictures from a guy in South Korea, he is waiting for his stickers too. Cool modifications on the lights (I admit they are not my best design part in this model) – it seems he used some third party LED. Even more interesting part which I couldn´t figure out yet – where the white “Fiorano” wheel caps come from, just can´t imagine that somebody would paint the originals in white color...

640x437.jpg

640x386.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Blakbird said:

Here is a picture with my car.  It doesn't have stickers either!

Although I personally like the AMG model better,  this picture shows the excellent design by Bruno and that the stickers are an extension of his work.  I have seen models "depend" on the stickers to look good and this is clearly not one of them.

I have the stickers but have decided to post pictures without them for anyone that may be interested in seeing it without them applied.

I built the manual version which works flawlessly using two liftarms in the rear of the car.  It uses a system which I have not seen before using springs for pressure / return.  Overall I am extremely happy with the results and the looks.  The build was fairly straight forward if you build MOC's often.  I am missing a few small pieces for front lights which will hopefully arrive soon!

Thanks Bruno for another beautiful car and Thorsten for well done instructions.

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

Thanks for your kind feedback, Joe!

If you are missing 4 x white 2L tubes on the roof, you can put the hindmost pieces there and replace by black tubes - IMO it still would look right.

4 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Thanks for your kind feedback, Joe!

If you are missing 4 x white 2L tubes on the roof, you can put the hindmost pieces there and replace by black tubes - IMO it still would look right.

Indeed I did; and it is so glaringly obvious now!

I was getting a little tired near the end of the build last night and had some trouble inserting the flex axles into the tan 3L pins under the roof.  I switched to LBG 3L pins and they worked much better.

I must say this model handles the wheel well areas much nicer than the BWM did.  I never liked the look of the rear wheel wells on the BMW with the three hoses.  Hope you don't mind the use of beams, it was an idea Dugald (brother of Lox Lego) suggested for the Mercedes but I thought the BMW would benefit from; so I tried it.  To me it looks a lot more realistic now, and I plan to try it on the Mercedes as well on the back wheel wells.

I must say, the unbroken roof line on the Mercedes is stunning; even better than the BMW (which I didn't think was possible at the time).

I've not got much else to say - it's already been said by many - so hopefully I'll get the chance to build this soon...

Really a well made model!

What kind of wheels are you using?

Edited by tismabrick

7 hours ago, technic_addict said:

I must say this model handles the wheel well areas much nicer than the BWM did.  I never liked the look of the rear wheel wells on the BMW with the three hoses.  Hope you don't mind the use of beams, it was an idea Dugald (brother of Lox Lego) suggested for the Mercedes but I thought the BMW would benefit from; so I tried it.  To me it looks a lot more realistic now, and I plan to try it on the Mercedes as well on the back wheel wells.

It´s a question of taste, of course I don´t mind if you like it this way. Although it could be considered as inconsistent to have difering front and rear wheel wells. I´m curious how the Merc will turn out. I had tried it at the front fenders in an early version, but couldn´t get it right because the wheels scrubbed at some areas while steering.

1 hour ago, Jay Psi said:

I must say, the unbroken roof line on the Mercedes is stunning; even better than the BMW (which I didn't think was possible at the time).

My original BMW DTM MOC doesn´t have the thin pneumatic hoses, but thick rigid 4mm custom ones, which appear to have less "broken" lines - look at my brickshelf for comparison. The model wasn´t created with the intention to be shared via instructions, but after publishing it, too many people went crazy about building it, so Thorsten and I did it. Honestly, it hurt me a bit when I saw how much could have been improved at that model, so it became a factor too for my decision to build the AMG DTM and design it more carefully.

5 minutes ago, tismabrick said:

Really a well made model!

What kind of wheels are you using?

Please look at the partslist here and here. These are just normal standard 56mm wheels with the caps of the Ferrari Fiorano set which btw have become very rare (recomended custom substitutes). 

Edited by brunojj1

Thanks for the links. I could swear I checked the parts list before and couldn't spot the caps. Pretty reare and expensive. Out of my range unfortunately.

On 2017-03-14 at 5:24 PM, brunojj1 said:

It´s a question of taste, of course I don´t mind if you like it this way. Although it could be considered as inconsistent to have difering front and rear wheel wells. I´m curious how the Merc will turn out. I had tried it at the front fenders in an early version, but couldn´t get it right because the wheels scrubbed at some areas while steering.

Finally applied the stickers and applied the liftarms on the rear wheel fenders.

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

1280x854.jpg

Bruno, I really like your models, compact design, all these functionalities and ... that feeling by assembling :-)

I've collected already your BMW, Ferrari and Mercedes. Thx for passion :)

Link to my collection of MOCs:

Mylegotechnicmocscollection

20690127_1359917234062128_7669014008555421753143_1388025921251259_3427460505065621731332_1388026104584574_38601030996862

21740685_1388029141250937_43407681535018

Edited by Enricott666