David loss

Hello, my name is david

hi there, just signed up as been looking at photos of setup and decided it was time to start getting organised,

been prepping to create a large vintage town setup for close to ten years now, I have most of the sets, the room is nearly empty, it time to get get started.

if anyone has any pre building advice, not is the time ! the rules will be as follows : only vintage lego town/train/boat sets, upto about 1999.

the set must be as complete as possible with and many original stickers as possible.

that is about as far as I I`ve got, I have some nice later sets, but I want this to be authentic, I used to love those old lego catalogs that showed massive setups that no one could ever build or afford.

Welcome to Eurobricks, David loss!

I also enjoyed the catalog scenes, so I am looking forward to your massive catalog setup that no one could ever build or afford!

Hi!

I'm a big fan of the vintage stuff myself. I usually just keep the vintage part of town on one side, and the modern stuff on the other, like it was built over time just like in the real world.  I also like original MOCs with that vintage look.  The only advice I have planning wise is to figure out your monorail/trains first and building the town around that. Its nearly impossible to do that in reverse.

Are you going to try using vintage road plates and 9v trains as well?

Edited by Criosphynx

11 minutes ago, Criosphynx said:

Hi!

I'm a big fan of the vintage stuff myself. I usually just keep the vintage part of town on one side, and the modern stuff on the other, like it was built over time just like in the real world.  I also like original MOCs with that vintage look.  The only advice I have planning wise is to figure out your monorail/trains first and building the town around that. Its nearly impossible to do that in reverse.

Are you going to try using vintage road plates and 9v trains as well?

I Really like the 9 stud baseplates, probably because these were what was available when I was little, I could never understand why the 7 stud roads were introduced. my first train was a 7720, It was my favourite thing for years, but sadly the battery car brook and a replacement was very expensive, I later bought a 4563 9v which I liked a lot, I love the simplicity of the 9v rails, but I also love the 12v signals / points. I have a basic layout in mind, based on the shape of the room etc, I'm even considering running the trains underneath the table, sort of a holding area, that way the layout won`t look to busy. I plant to build a mountain to the rear, with seaport / divers setup on the front, been looking at some of the great layout on here and on the net, there are some great setups out there. I wonder what the most `official` sets have been used as one time ?

7 minutes ago, David loss said:

I Really like the 9 stud baseplates, probably because these were what was available when I was little, I could never understand why the 7 stud roads were introduced. my first train was a 7720, It was my favourite thing for years, but sadly the battery car brook and a replacement was very expensive, I later bought a 4563 9v which I liked a lot, I love the simplicity of the 9v rails, but I also love the 12v signals / points. I have a basic layout in mind, based on the shape of the room etc, I'm even considering running the trains underneath the table, sort of a holding area, that way the layout won`t look to busy. I plant to build a mountain to the rear, with seaport / divers setup on the front, been looking at some of the great layout on here and on the net, there are some great setups out there. I wonder what the most `official` sets have been used as one time ?

I actually saw an entire city layout for sale on Ebay last month that was 100% vintage original town! (they wanted like $1200 IIRC) The photos were of it all set up and it was pretty interesting to see.  I haven't seen any on youtube however, if you find any I'd like to know!

4563 was my first train as a kid (still have it). I did just recently acquire some 12v stuff from a big bulk purchase and I am now in love with those as well.

I'm a fan of running the trains underneath or even into another room. I wont have anything that big until I move to a new place so I don't have any experience actually doing it. The train guys on this board are great with that sort of stuff and I'm sure they'll have tons of tested ideas for you.

Edited by Criosphynx