Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

Chapter V, Book II: Searching for Hope

Lord Byron could hear the soldiers plodding along and bantering carelessly well before he saw them. He didn't even need to think twice why there were approaching his manor - years of farming the Avalonian countryside hadn't completely overcome his soldier instincts.

Lady Elspeth was no stranger to such things either, not after a decade of marriage to one of Cerdica's former generals. She approached her husband and grabbed his hand.

"These men, they are here for you, are they not?"

Bryon squeezed her hand and looked into her eyes.

"We knew this day would come. It must happen."

Before long the column of soldiers appeared around a bend. The leading man, wearing the insignia of an Avalonian officer, quickened his pace upon seeing Lord Byron and Lady Elspeth. A smile beamed across his face.

"Ah Lord Byron, I see life on the farm has been good to you and especially your waistline. Strange to see your hands dirtied by mud and not the blood of your enemies."

Lord Bryon glared at the man.

"Mention my waistline again and I will remind you of what these hands are capable of."

The man threw back his head and laughed. He moved towards Lord Byron and embraced him like that of two old friends.

30638013123_46bbb02b78_z.jpg

"My friend, your sense of humor has not changed - in fact, it's as non-existent as ever. How many years has it been? Ten? Fifteen?"

Lord Byron grabbed the man by the shoulder. "Too long. I see the lords of Albion finally made you a captain. Those silly fools."

He turned to Lady Elspeth. "Dear, this is Gregori Davignon, my old friend and comrade-in-arms."

"Welcome to Konigsfeld Manor Captain Davignon, it is a pleasure to have your company."

Davignon removed his helm and glove and took Lady Elspeth's hand.

"My Lady, the pleasure is all mine. Please, call me Gregori. No doubt you are Bryon's greatest accomplishment."

Byron kissed Elspeth on her head. "Indeed she is. But I'm sure you're not here to compliment my lovely wife. The Lords of Albion have sent you on some great mission, no doubt?"

Davignon looked at Elspeth and then at Byron.

"In fact, I come bearing news of a most sensitive manner. Would be able to speak alone?"

"My wife is lord of this manor as well. She too has the right to hear what you say."

The smile had left Davignon's face, replaced by a look of grave concern.

"So be it, but what I'm about to discuss must not leave here. It's been a long time since you've seen Albion, but I'm sure you know the troubles there. The Pearl City is flooded with refugees fleeing the plague and Drow raiders. Rumors tell of Spire agents in the city and disappearances. The armies of Historica are preparing to push against Raavage but each remain consumed by their own troubles, unable to commit the might of their forces into the fight."

These events were not unknown to Byron - even in retirement his connections to Albion and Cerdica were well-maintained. He knew Albion was in chaos, leaderless and laid prostrate by internal turmoil. The other Guilds were faring no better.

Davignon continued.

"But there is a new and encouraging development, two in fact. Sir Trian Burress has returned to Albion, free of the Spire's yoke."

This even Byron did not know. Could it be true? His old friend and the greatest commander of Avalonia was alive again? How many years had it been?

Davignon could see Byron loose himself in thought.

"My friend, there is more. The heir has been found."

Byron was snapped from his reminiscing.

"By the gods, you speak the truth? The High King has returned?"

"Not yet, but soon my brother. Breggan of the Dragon Masters brought word of the heir's existence. That is why I am here. Sir Burress has given us the task of finding the heir and returning him safely to Cedrica. He asked specifically for your assistance."

Elspeth, who had followed the discussion with uneasiness, could not contain herself any longer. She knew her husband would not decline.

"Byron, you said this day would come, but why must it be today? The children… the fields, it's almost harvest time… and me… how will I live without you?"

Byron pulled her in and held her closely.

"My love, my life, this is the trouble with marrying old, foolish soldiers. At some point, they are always drawn back in. This is the day Historica has prayed for, the day we knew would come, the day you knew I could not escape. Without a king to unite the guilds, the peace we enjoy will not last. I must go, for Sir Burress, for Avalonia, for you."

Elspeth looked up at Byron.

"You are a good man, and an even better husband." She wiped several tears from her eyes. "You should go know and keep Captain Davignon waiting no longer. The future of Historica is know your task."

Hesitantly, Byron entered the manor. It took him several minutes to find the old chest. Wiping dust from its cover, he opened it and began removing several items. The armor, unworn for 10 years, still fit. He removed the sword and swung it as effortlessly and deftly as ever.

Bryon returned outside. He embraced Elspeth and their children and then left with Davignon.

Elspeth watched as her husband left their home, possibly never to return. She held back her tears until he disappeared from sight.

"Go soldier of Cedrica and return with peace and hope for this land."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konigsfeld Manor:

31446060505_e30c4a40e3_z.jpg

31446029925_5d394580fd_z.jpg

31409291256_d3602564a7_z.jpg

31446010325_fcf26887a1_z.jpg

Hello! Hope you didn't mind the long read! This was originally meant to be a prelude but I just didn't get the story done on time. I really meant to include a few story photos, but I ended up needing the pieces for another build so those pics never got done...:sadnew: In any case, the story was slightly edited to follow the wonderful preludes by ZCerberus and Ecclesiastes. This is not for any of the challenges, just a little filler for the chapter.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by MassEditor

Very nice scene, ME!

The colorful foliage and landscape is a great depiction of Avalonia!  The columns around the understructure of the main building look really nice!  Including the framed building under construction is an interesting idea and is well-built.  I really like those small birch trees with the tan trunks, reddish-brown stripes, and dark red foliage!  I would love to see more views of that bridge!  The ornamental stonework looks beautiful.  As usual, spilling the landscape over the border makes for a wonderful effect!

I am looking forward to the continuation of Byron's story.

What an excellent manor !

And I like the way the landscape is escaping the border of the build ! I like the way you're depicting a settlement being under construction. The unfinished houses are great and the bridge is brilliant. I would agree with Slegengr and would ask more pictures of it.

This is an excellent job !

A wonderful build as usual, but I am really impressed with the house design. It's unique but so clean and inviting at the same time. The foliage is spot on as usual sir, great job!

The manor itself is lovely, Avalonian with a hint of Mitgardia at the eaves, but for me it is the vegetation that is the highlight here. The large trees to either side of the manor are superb, and the others are nice, too, though the small birches are a bit too flat-topped for my taste. The way that it all spills over the side, as Faladrin has said, is a nice touch. And this is one of the only builds I have seen where the flower stalks as grass did not bother me, perhaps because they are balanced by the presence of so many other plants. Excellently done!

What a stunningly fantastic build ME, the overflowing base is perfectly executed and wonderful countryside scene.  Despite the vegetation however there seems to be something Mitgardian about it... I think it's the gables (? or whatever they're called) curling up at the roof ends.  Great work, looks like it would be a really nice place to live! :thumbup: 

This is such a wonderful build in so many ways that people mentioned already. My own take on it from the story is this general has travelled the length and breadth of historica and his mansion represents reflections of what he has seen. The pillars at the base remind me of Arabic and Indian ... cough... sorry Kaliphlim pillars and arches recreated with local avalonian timbers. A traditional avalonian structure sits atop this but with a steeply sloped practical mitgardian inspired roof. The powerful black of that roof is reminiscent of Nocturnan roofs. The general may have stopped traveling historica. But he didn't leave historica behind.

This is fantastic.  I love the landscaping especially the trees.  The stream is also done very well.  I really like the frame work on the house being built and the stable is unique.  The roof of the main house on stilts reminds me of Asian architecture and I like all of the windows very creative.  Also great story.  Overall great job. 

I have long admired this on Flickr, and it's great to finally see it posted, with a very nice story!

The vegetation and lanscaping is great, but the best part is defenitely the border-style. Absolutely jaw-dropping! :wub: 

Gorgeous Avalonian setting! The building under construction, lovely trees, and stream are some of my favorite details :wub: The stone foundation/porch around the building is a unique and excellent design too :thumbup:

Gorgeous!  I really like the way everything looks like it's well-maintained.  The stream winding through looks fantastic, and the entire build really captures what my imagination of Avalonia looks like.  I love it!

Astonishing work, ME! :wub: The colors, the layout, the winding stream, all the little details, everything is so well made. The grass/path spilling out of the border is fantastic as well, definitely one of the best looking bases I've ever seen. I think one of my favorite parts is the bridge; it looks ornate, and yet quite rugged. :thumbup:

This screams Avalonia. Everything about it is great, the house, shed and bridge look amazing. The border is neat with the landscape (which is fantastic) breaking it up. You continue to impress ME :thumbup: 

Beautiful build all around ME! There's too many nice details to point them all out, but I will mention that I greatly appreciate the in-construction building. we don't get too many of those. :thumbup:

On 2/7/2017 at 11:26 AM, Slegengr said:

Very nice scene, ME!

The colorful foliage and landscape is a great depiction of Avalonia!  The columns around the understructure of the main building look really nice!  Including the framed building under construction is an interesting idea and is well-built.  I really like those small birch trees with the tan trunks, reddish-brown stripes, and dark red foliage!  I would love to see more views of that bridge!  The ornamental stonework looks beautiful.  As usual, spilling the landscape over the border makes for a wonderful effect!

I am looking forward to the continuation of Byron's story.

Thanks a lot Slegengr! I would certainly share some more pics of the bridge but this MOC has since been demolished, sorry man!

Hopefully I will be able to continue Byron's story soon!

On 2/7/2017 at 0:30 PM, Faladrin said:

What an excellent manor !

And I like the way the landscape is escaping the border of the build ! I like the way you're depicting a settlement being under construction. The unfinished houses are great and the bridge is brilliant. I would agree with Slegengr and would ask more pictures of it.

This is an excellent job !

Thanks Faladrin! Unfortunately I don't think I have any other pictures and the scene has already been disassembled :(

On 2/7/2017 at 0:52 PM, Lazer said:

What the others said before me! :laugh: Nice! Very nice! Congrats!

Thanks!

On 2/7/2017 at 1:02 PM, Blufiji said:

A wonderful build as usual, but I am really impressed with the house design. It's unique but so clean and inviting at the same time. The foliage is spot on as usual sir, great job!

Thanks a lot dude!

On 2/7/2017 at 1:11 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The manor itself is lovely, Avalonian with a hint of Mitgardia at the eaves, but for me it is the vegetation that is the highlight here. The large trees to either side of the manor are superb, and the others are nice, too, though the small birches are a bit too flat-topped for my taste. The way that it all spills over the side, as Faladrin has said, is a nice touch. And this is one of the only builds I have seen where the flower stalks as grass did not bother me, perhaps because they are balanced by the presence of so many other plants. Excellently done!

Thanks Henjin, the trees and overall vegetation was definitely my favorite part of this build. I hadn't thought of it before, but those eaves are rather Mitgardian aren't they? Either way, thanks for the praise!

On 2/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, Kai NRG said:

What a stunningly fantastic build ME, the overflowing base is perfectly executed and wonderful countryside scene.  Despite the vegetation however there seems to be something Mitgardian about it... I think it's the gables (? or whatever they're called) curling up at the roof ends.  Great work, looks like it would be a really nice place to live! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai, I can certainly note the Mitgard vibe now that you mention it!

On 2/8/2017 at 0:22 AM, Isundir said:

Wow fantastic, a gorgeous build :classic:

Thanks!

On 2/8/2017 at 3:14 PM, Muakhah said:

This is such a wonderful build in so many ways that people mentioned already. My own take on it from the story is this general has travelled the length and breadth of historica and his mansion represents reflections of what he has seen. The pillars at the base remind me of Arabic and Indian ... cough... sorry Kaliphlim pillars and arches recreated with local avalonian timbers. A traditional avalonian structure sits atop this but with a steeply sloped practical mitgardian inspired roof. The powerful black of that roof is reminiscent of Nocturnan roofs. The general may have stopped traveling historica. But he didn't leave historica behind.

Wow, thanks for this awesome comment and perspective. Yes, that's exactly what I intended...:laugh: Seriously though, thanks a ton for looking and for the comment!

On 2/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, zoth33 said:

This is fantastic.  I love the landscaping especially the trees.  The stream is also done very well.  I really like the frame work on the house being built and the stable is unique.  The roof of the main house on stilts reminds me of Asian architecture and I like all of the windows very creative.  Also great story.  Overall great job. 

Thanks a ton!

On 2/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, TitusV said:

I have long admired this on Flickr, and it's great to finally see it posted, with a very nice story!

The vegetation and lanscaping is great, but the best part is defenitely the border-style. Absolutely jaw-dropping! :wub: 

I appreciate it Titus!

On 2/9/2017 at 10:40 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Wonderful build ME! I love how parts of the build flow over the border, as it gives the build a sense of expanse.

Thanks UM!

On 2/9/2017 at 10:06 PM, Windusky said:

Oh my Gosh Mass, you've done it again! Freaking amazing build!!!

Haha, thanks!

On 2/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, en_zoo said:

awesome build, touching story!

Glad you liked the story!

On 2/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Gorgeous Avalonian setting! The building under construction, lovely trees, and stream are some of my favorite details :wub: The stone foundation/porch around the building is a unique and excellent design too :thumbup:

Thanks a lot SK!

On 2/11/2017 at 10:02 PM, Grover said:

Gorgeous!  I really like the way everything looks like it's well-maintained.  The stream winding through looks fantastic, and the entire build really captures what my imagination of Avalonia looks like.  I love it!

Thanks Grover, I know I'd like to live here!

On 2/13/2017 at 8:19 PM, LittleJohn said:

Astonishing work, ME! :wub: The colors, the layout, the winding stream, all the little details, everything is so well made. The grass/path spilling out of the border is fantastic as well, definitely one of the best looking bases I've ever seen. I think one of my favorite parts is the bridge; it looks ornate, and yet quite rugged. :thumbup:

Thanks so much LJ, glad you liked it man!

On 2/13/2017 at 9:55 PM, The Maestro said:

This screams Avalonia. Everything about it is great, the house, shed and bridge look amazing. The border is neat with the landscape (which is fantastic) breaking it up. You continue to impress ME :thumbup: 

Thanks Maestro!

On 2/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, mrcp6d said:

Beautiful build all around ME! There's too many nice details to point them all out, but I will mention that I greatly appreciate the in-construction building. we don't get too many of those. :thumbup:

Thanks dude, I too thought the framed building came out nicely. Glad you liked it!

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I couldn't miss a chance to comment on this build again here - beautiful work, MassEditor, the vegetation and the colors it gives are splendid, and the architecture is really unique and excellent as well!  Great job with those trees as well, and the overflowing landscape really gives this build the finishing touch! :wub:  

Very nice accompanying story too - excellent job as usual! 

Excuse my rebump too please as I only commented on this in flickR.

The way the border is broken at some parts and the landscape flows out of it is just lovely... Not to mention the main buildings which are great as expected from you. The black tips at the main building add some much at it.

:wub: :wub: