Kai NRG

Japanese Fortress (MOC)

I don't get a chance to delve into traditional Japanese subthemes very often, but when I do, I enjoy it!  I built this for the set revamp category of the Tourney.  The set I revamped was 6093 Flying Ninja Fortress.

31896878213_5e63b7a3c4.jpg

32557143542_934c3d6d6c.jpg

The Samurais are under attack!

31896921163_c093133fff.jpg

32669294196_f9ac02f9f4.jpg

31896901753_0d10752702.jpg

Under the left tower I added a bit of functionality with a shooting jewel rack... not that there's really much point to a shooting jewel rack, but - well... 

32557088732_16608c8f24.jpg

The build also has an interior:

32557070652_e683c7bd94.jpg

31866889014_5181d203c4.jpg

32669225276_409fcaef4d.jpg

Without minifigures:

31896752333_a3c3fed2c7.jpg

32330117040_fd8fa0ea3e.jpg

Thanks for looking! :classic:

Looks good! Very interesting how you built the stonework on the ground level. There are some really good ideas in it. I also really like the interior. Very realistic :classic:

Seconding what others have said about the stone work on the front walls. Very interesting. Great Work!

Real nice built. I am a fan of classic Ninja especially 3053 and 6093. Those sets are the ones which I haven't laid my hands on. Your design reflect the classic theme with lots of modern touch and advanced techniques such as the wall scaling. When I first saw this, I was very impressed on how you able to capture and retain the iconic details such as the overall colour scheme and the two towers at both ends. 

Brilliant!

I don't know much about these older Ninja sets, but I can see the likeness quite well. Even the roses/plants seem to capture the greenery the original set was supposed to convey. The rockwork is really clever and I don't think my mind can understand how to build in that style. Your MOC takes the cake for sure.

Good luck in the contest!

Looks lovely! The detail/clutter in the basement rooms, as well as the technique on the angled stone walls, are probably my favorite bits. All in all, though, you make wonderful use of texture, and honor the original set well.

On 2/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, peedeejay said:

Fantastic build with some neat play features. I especially like the stonework for the foundation!

Thank you!  The opportunity for that type of stonework was what drew me to this set in the first place!

On 2/4/2017 at 6:17 PM, Littleworlds said:

Looks good! Very interesting how you built the stonework on the ground level. There are some really good ideas in it. I also really like the interior. Very realistic :classic:

Thanks Littleworlds! :classic:

On 2/6/2017 at 11:05 AM, Thebeeze111 said:

Seconding what others have said about the stone work on the front walls. Very interesting. Great Work!

Thanks!

23 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Real nice built. I am a fan of classic Ninja especially 3053 and 6093. Those sets are the ones which I haven't laid my hands on. Your design reflect the classic theme with lots of modern touch and advanced techniques such as the wall scaling. When I first saw this, I was very impressed on how you able to capture and retain the iconic details such as the overall colour scheme and the two towers at both ends. 

Thank you!  Keeping the build recognizable was a big goal for me, and I'm glad you think I've achieved that!

3 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Brilliant!

I don't know much about these older Ninja sets, but I can see the likeness quite well. Even the roses/plants seem to capture the greenery the original set was supposed to convey. The rockwork is really clever and I don't think my mind can understand how to build in that style. Your MOC takes the cake for sure.

Good luck in the contest!

Thanks!  Actually, I think if you tried it you'd find that the rockwork isn't as tough as it cracks up to be... :wink:  It's just a matter of figuring out the basic rules of headlight bricks vs. 1x1 bricks with studs and knowing when to use which one!

52 minutes ago, Nuju Metru said:

Looks lovely! The detail/clutter in the basement rooms, as well as the technique on the angled stone walls, are probably my favorite bits. All in all, though, you make wonderful use of texture, and honor the original set well.

Thanks!  Clutter is so much fun to build... :grin:

Beautiful build!  The photos might be a little more effective with a background color that the white bricks don't blend into so readily.

Neat build, very true to the original, Kai!

As others mentioned, I really like how you did the angled stonework on the main wall!  The whole build is a perfectly updated depiction of the original set!  The black roof tiles work well atop the wall, and I also like the use of round plates in the white towers to show texture variation.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:25 PM, Luke Styer said:

Beautiful build!  The photos might be a little more effective with a background color that the white bricks don't blend into so readily.

Yeah... I kind of went with what I had as far as backdrops large enough to photograph something this size, but another color would likely have made it stand out more.  Thank you though!

On 2/9/2017 at 5:50 AM, Legoman123 said:

Awesome!  Really cool build.  I've always had a thing fore ancient Japanese Architecture.

Thanks!  Japanese Architecture is really neat - it has such an awesome and distinct look to it!

On 2/9/2017 at 6:47 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

Nicely done Kai! The stonework on the front is a highlight!

Thank you UM!

On 2/12/2017 at 4:38 AM, Lordofdragonss said:

Spectacular, but you put wings on the flyer wrong way :P
My favorite part are the good colorsheme and well designed stonework!

:tongue:  He probably wouldn't get very far anyways. :grin:  It was actually intentional, as I thought it looked even sillier (if that's possible!) the other way.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Neat build, very true to the original, Kai!

As others mentioned, I really like how you did the angled stonework on the main wall!  The whole build is a perfectly updated depiction of the original set!  The black roof tiles work well atop the wall, and I also like the use of round plates in the white towers to show texture variation.

Thanks!  That style of angled roof with 2x1 tiles is a pretty useful one and I was glad to see that it worked well with Asian architecture... getting it to look okay from the back was more of a challenge, but in the end, all I really needed were a few angling pieces.

Great build, Kai, the colors work very well, and I particularly like the black tiles and jumpers topping off the walls and that excellent interior!  Awesome figs too, and that bridge between the towers is really great as well!  

And congrats on the well-deserved frontpage! :wink:

On 2/14/2017 at 3:26 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a beauty! :wub:

Thank you!

On 2/14/2017 at 3:50 PM, Garmadon said:

Great build, Kai, the colors work very well, and I particularly like the black tiles and jumpers topping off the walls and that excellent interior!  Awesome figs too, and that bridge between the towers is really great as well!  

And congrats on the well-deserved frontpage! :wink:

Thanks Garmadon!  The bridge was fun! :grin:

I am late in replying to this but you did a really good job of redoing and updating the Flying Ninja Fortress. I am particularly fond of the SNOT sloped front walls. The interior is also well done, with the staircase being of particular notice. As always, you portrayed exceptional minifigure posing. Great job and look forward to future builds!

4 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

I am late in replying to this but you did a really good job of redoing and updating the Flying Ninja Fortress. I am particularly fond of the SNOT sloped front walls. The interior is also well done, with the staircase being of particular notice. As always, you portrayed exceptional minifigure posing. Great job and look forward to future builds!

Thanks Silent Wolf!  That staircase managed to use those weird bar pieces which I've found precious few uses for so far!

On 2/22/2017 at 2:48 AM, LegoFanfromPR said:

Top tier castle. Love the ninja and the samurai. Excellent job!!!!!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Blufiji said:

As I said on flickr, this is an excellent build!

Thanks Blufiji!

5 hours ago, sander1992 said:

A very nice recreation of a very nice set. :thumbup:

Great job. :thumbup:

Thanks sander1992! :classic:

Well, I’m very late to this party…

But….WOW! This is a piece of beauty! I hope TLG would bring the classic ninja theme back one day because I love this one!