Renegade Clone

[MOC] UCS Zeta-class cargo shuttle

Greetings everyone! After a couple of months work I am proud to present my minifigure scale Zeta-class cargo shuttle. 

31864295534_bb37383f4f_c.jpg

“Manufactured by Telgorn Corporation with Sienar Fleet Systems, the Zeta-class shuttle carries a modular ‘interstellar orange’ cargo pod for versatility mounted on a 35.5m length frame.”

Ever since Rogue One introduced the design, the industrial mining tug aesthetic appealed to me. It has the kit-bashed sensibility that I love in Star Wars, so I set about a UCS sized build.

The lower cargo deck has space for troops and features a communications patch bay. I’m still working on finishing touches to the upper deck, but it houses the two seat command console and aft tech station.

The gearing mechanism from 10212 locks the wings upright. By simply lifting the top deck away I can adjust the angle if required. The wingspan measures 1.15m, so I have yet to find space to photograph the wings in flight mode!

During construction I used LDD for rapid prototyping. I still need to update the final build into the program, but the current ballpark is 4000 pieces.

The Rogue One ultimate visual guide and Battlefront Scarif DLC were invaluable for determining the proportions.

My personal technique for ‘minifigure scale’ is to calculate in-universe size against stud length. Small craft like speeders and skimmers skew towards 4.0s/m, starfighters 3.5s/m and large craft (e.g. UCS Slave 1 and Lambda shuttle) at 2.7s/m.

Therefore I aimed for 92s long and 75s high. The final model measures 88s (l) 70s (h) 48s (w) / 70cm (l) 56cm (h) 38cm (w).

Finally I threw together a Scarif landing pad for a diorama.

Hope you all like it!

(Link to the flickr album is here.)

Edited by Renegade Clone

Wow ! Sooooooooooo nice !!!
Perfect model ! Can't say anything more, just that now  I want one of this ^^

Ramses25

Hello, Renegade Clone

Fantastic, I love the shaping and especially the top detailing. Definitely makes me want to continue with mine. Get us some more pictures!

I am very surprised the 10212 mechanism holds those huge wings.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Wow. I've seen the work-in-progress pics on your flickr stream, and I knew it was going to be good, but this is even better than I thought it would be.

It looks really, really accurate. I love the balance of studs to studless, and I like how the wings are built - just like the UCS Imperial Shuttle.

Your WIP pictures showed some interior - is that still in the model? Is it accessible?

Thanks for the comments everyone. The cockpit is not quite finished, but the lower deck remains the same as before. It is somewhat tricky to access without taking the roof off. I could probably fit power function lights into the ceiling - that would make it much easier to photograph. 

I know Cavegod is working on a motorised version packing 4 XL motors, but I would struggle to find room in the front to mount anything like that. Maybe someday...

Fabulous model! That is truly remarkable considering its been less then two months since the movie released and now...well this is most likely the best MOC that will ever be made of the good ole Zeta. 

that is fantastic i still cant believe that TLG haven't done this ship as its pretty important to the film 

I would love one of these myself

Edited by roadstermatt

Terrific work - chapeau!

Could you explain or link to an explanation of how you get the fbx models from the Battlefront data please?

Edited by Joemmo

20 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

WOW! That is an excellent model. :wub: I have nothing else to say, except that I want it... But the parts cost would be so high. :cry_sad:

would buy, too if available...

2 hours ago, Joemmo said:

Terrific work - chapeau!

Could you explain or link to an explanation of how you get the fbx models from the Battlefront data please?

I found the extracted fbx file from the Battlefront Scarif DLC here and imported it into Blender without too much difficulty (the wings are not aligned with the main model in that file).

I'm planning to upload some photo/schematic comparisons later. Despite the hefty piece count I only spent £89 on Bricklink, the most expensive being 40 tooth gears and gearboxes, with a few parts 'borrowed' from my Kylo Ren shuttle. 

Edited by Renegade Clone

Didn't realise your in UK aswel, £89? blimey thats good going i've spent double that already ?

Its enormous! This is fabulous, I love the wip pictures on your Flickr. Great to see it has an interior hold.