Ondra

Creator and Creator expert wishlist

I was contemplating two particular ideas for Creator subthemes today, one of them done for Expert sets but not for regular sets; the other never before done for either.

The first idea would be for a locomotive subtheme composed of sets hovering around the $50-$70 range. For example, such a set within this subtheme could hypothetically be a 3 in 1 build including a tank engine build, a shunter diesel engine build, and a steam tram build. These sets would include no track but still be done in the "L Gauge" scale, and would include instructions for modifications of the builds to incorporate Power Functions.

The second idea would be for a mini medieval village modular subtheme, made up of sets around the $40-$60 range. They would each sit on a 16 by 16 baseplate as a modular standard and usually be only two stories tall. They would each feature two to three minifigures who, although the Creator theme does not usually do this, would be original designs/new prints. The figures would widely range across feudal classes, from peasants to merchants to nobles.

A medieval theme would be pretty cool, like a jousting track or something. I would LOVE to have a WW2 vehicles theme, with vehicles such as Spitfires, Messerschmitts, Tiger I tank and U boats. The list is endless! 

On 6/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, Globemaster8 said:

A Spitfire would be amazing, something I've always wanted to see as a Lego set. 

Well, the closest Lego has gotten to anything military was 2001's 3451 Sopwith Camel and its 2012 remake set no. 10226. Yes, there are many military fighter planes that would make for some amazing Expert Series sets, but Lego still does and I think is better off straying away from any military related material.

But I think, in lieu of real life examples, Lego should instead produce more fictionalized fighter planes for Creator and other themes too avoid resembling actual military aircraft, making them "flights of fantasy" instead. I've showcased some great MOC examples of "Sky-fi" fighter planes by Flickr user Jonhall18 on the previous page of this thread, which, despite being original designs, still carry a serious feel to the creation.

Now Lego has done some very nice, although colorful, large airplane sets in recent years for Creator, such as 2015's 31039 Blue Power Jet and 2013's 31011 Aviation Adventures.

th?id=OIP.V5pCIVwPCYIfPQUmA4-8JAEsDD&pid=15.131039

2 hours ago, Globemaster8 said:

A medieval theme would be pretty cool, like a jousting track or something. 

Along with Space, yes, Lego should definitely consider Castle for both Creator and/or Creator Expert if a entire theme is not viable at the time. But for that matter, as I've stated many times elsewhere before, Creator can be used as an outlet for so much more.

Yeah I get what you mean about the whole military thing, could cause some upset and is probably easier to stay away from it. To be honest I like the fact that the aircraft Lego make are colourful; gives you the chance to do some MODs to them! 

On 25/06/2017 at 9:26 PM, Globemaster8 said:

A Spitfire would be amazing, something I've always wanted to see as a Lego set. 

+100! 

A i still wait for a new creator expert train...

Going back again to @jonwil's Cyberpunk comments, I was thinking about one of my suggestions for 50's Jetsons style hovercars for Creator, and realized that the hovercar/aerocar genre really is not exclusive to 1950's sci-fi. Obviously, there are the 1980's Cyberpunk Blade Runner hovercars as inspiration, but if you just look up "Lego Hovercar" on Flickr, there are a wealth of amazing MOCs done under the genre.

Here are a few great examples of some modern futurism styled aerocars done by Flickr user Jerac, found under this Lego aerocar Flickr group I've also linked below.

23288402522_301c5143fd_n.jpg23323234572_8a4dd00d5c_n.jpg15856680063_9bb421b243.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2541696@N23/pool/

21 hours ago, sebitsena said:

+100! 

A i still wait for a new creator expert train...

I would love to see the potential next Expert series train be a 1930's American streamlined steam locomotive, perhaps done in either Sand Green or Sand Blue. Here is a great MOC example by Flickr user Tony Sava of a streamlined Dreyfuss Hudson locomotive to serve as an idea.

27311815372_63b27ee1b2_z.jpg

That MOC is great, I especially love the way the front of the train is done. Yeah, that would be really cool as it would be different from the other trains produced by Lego in recent years. 

Fifth Element has hover cars too and is fairly recent.

That train has a bit of a Art Deco feel. I want to see more Art Deco style MOCs!

6 hours ago, danth said:

Fifth Element has hover cars too and is fairly recent.

That train has a bit of a Art Deco feel. I want to see more Art Deco style MOCs!

You and me both buddy! :grin:

I would love to see Expert series Art Deco skyscrapers done, such as NYC's Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building. Even Art Deco modulars would be amazing, though 2013's Palace Cinema did touch upon that a bit. Here are two awesome architectural examples by Flickr user Pete Strege.

Apple Square UniversityLego MOC: Tall Tower

Art Deco is a theme I would love to see TLG tackle more than they have done to date.

I love the techniques used in both of those buildings. The windows in both sets are done really well, especially in the first one! 

On 7/3/2017 at 8:36 PM, jonwil said:

Art Deco is a theme I would love to see TLG tackle more than they have done to date.

How could I ever forget...Automobiles! Lego could do some amazing Art Deco cars from the 1920's and 1930's for their Expert series car subtheme!

1935 Auburn 851 Boattail Speedster anyone? :sweet:

15172094023_dfbd8a61ac_z.jpg

That's a beautiful shade of blue, and I love the tyres! That would be an awesome display piece, with all of the amazing curves. There would also be some amazing techniques used to achieve its shape. 

On 7/1/2017 at 5:44 AM, Globemaster8 said:

That MOC is great, I especially love the way the front of the train is done. Yeah, that would be really cool as it would be different from the other trains produced by Lego in recent years. 

While I myself would prefer an American streamlined steam locomotive, perhaps a British one would have a much more broader appeal internationally, such as the LNER Class A4 4468-Mallard which Eurobricks user @marbleman had recently done a very nice MOC of.

17 hours ago, Globemaster8 said:

That's a beautiful shade of blue, and I love the tyres! That would be an awesome display piece, with all of the amazing curves. There would also be some amazing techniques used to achieve its shape. 

Yeah, the Auburn Speedster is an all-time favorite of mine!

There are a few other Art Deco automobiles I should mention here which I think would make for some excellent Expert series sets, which include a Talbot Lago teardrop coupe, a 1936 Cord 810, a 1936 Cadillac V16 Aero Coupe, and a 1938 Bugatti 57SC Atlantic Coupe.

8436504656_956317d704_n.jpg5396784299_28ca2bed22_n.jpg10637855306_e3da373485_n.jpg  4224543623_a2bfe5a55c_m.jpg

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Old British cars like the Aston Martin DB5, Morgan and Austin Healey just to name a few would be perfect Lego models. 

12 hours ago, Globemaster8 said:

Old British cars like the Aston Martin DB5, Morgan and Austin Healey just to name a few would be perfect Lego models. 

The Morgan 3 Wheeler would make for an iconic set I think, and while it certainly would be nice as a Creator Expert series set, it would also be fitting as Technic set too.

6791889277_5fe8185172.jpg

While I would love to see any sort of space material done for the Creator theme, particularly, I would really love to see a Three-In-One Retro Rocketcraft set, inspired by the spacecraft of the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon comic strips. Unlike the typical Sci-Fi rocket designs of the 1950's, these 1930's Pulp spacecraft took on more of a rounded, teardrop shape at times. Here are a couple pictorial examples:

6066540232_3a18d37e26.jpgtws_3802-2.jpg

As far as MOC examples go, there are not many to go around unfortunately. But here I have linked an older, but still impressive creation by Lego designer Mark Stafford (a.k.a @Nabii) from 2006 inspired after these spacecraft.

MOCpages - Retro Rocket by Mark Stafford

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 7/13/2017 at 3:18 AM, jonwil said:

An E-Type Jag would make an awesome LEGO set.

I second this! While the E-Type would be be the most ideal candidate for an Expert Jaguar set, I would kind of like to see a Jaguar XK120 as a set, something that would be most challenging as far as the construction of the curves would go.

26436656262_2ba0509f84.jpg

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I would love to see any sort of space material done for the Creator theme, particularly, I really would love a three in one retro rocketcraft set, inspired by the ships of the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon comic strips. Unlike the typical sci-fi rocket designs of the 1950's, these 1930's pulp fiction spacecraft took on a more rounded, teardrop shape at times. 

I should mention here Flickr user Chris Giddens (a.k.a. Fazoom) for some of his great retro "Pre Classic Space" creations, probably some of the best rocketcraft MOCs around though they may be older.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fazoom/albums

Spoiler
swoooshSR ZARK-7ZOG-31SR  FAZOOM-O-CRAFTPalomino X-1

7 hours ago, IstakaCiti said:

I would love to see some trikes or reverse trikes, haven't seen a trike in LEGO so far (official).

By "Trike" do you mean three wheeled motorcycle?

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By "Trike" do you mean three wheeled motorcycle?

Yes, that's right.

This is reverse trike...

61758_NEOWING.jpg?x24967

This is trike:

honda-monarchIILLS.png

Edited by IstakaCiti

12 hours ago, IstakaCiti said:

Yes, that's right.

This is reverse trike...

This is trike:

OK, I see. Yeah, that would be cool, particularly a reverse trike could even make for a nice non Expert series Creator set. :thumbup:

Reverse trikes have now just reminded me of three wheeler vehicles such as the Polaris Slingshot and the Campagna T-Rex, which I have pictured below. Those also could make for some interesting Creator sets.

33685447742_ec3e5f56ce_n.jpg14261389977_424c68c876_n.jpg

5 hours ago, Globemaster8 said:

An old school Lamborghini would be amazing! And in a colour like lime green for the real 80's effect! 

Well, their angular lines and edges would certainly be a snap to replicate in Lego!

While there are many subgenres of mecha that could make for some impressive set material, a particular one I would like to see for Creator (both Expert and non-Expert) is the Jaeger subgenre, made familiar by Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim from 2013. 

Here are a few poster examples of some of the Jaegers featured in the film.

th?id=OIP.XjCzB2n2gFPgcHNCdGIhAQDKEs&pid=15.1th?id=OIP.wJit1dPFdoIra1gaiHk5BQDKEs&pid=15.1th?id=OIP.J9DOzWf0YLRnTI1bEolxqwDKEs&pid=15.1

Oh, and while an MOC of this scale could never be done as a set, check out this gargantuan creation of Gypsy Danger by Flickr user JAN LEGO:oh:

Spoiler

17531284496_20f26ba075_b.jpg