Sign in to follow this  
Marishka

41183 The Goblin King's evil Dragon - Review

Hello! I already happened to get first of new elves sets - it appeared in some shops in Russia. So I can't wait to share my impressions with you :) Hope you'll like it too!

In my opinion this year designesrs really succeed to make a bit more gender-neutral buildings in this series - as I began to unpack the box, my husband grabbed bags and started to build, he said this will be his dragon :D (to mention, he is not intresed much in other dragons) 

So, here's what is inside the box:

20c21e4a0535a5534becda6de43bcfe1.jpg

And what it become:

9dda1c7328e78e2f94227b4f7afeca8e.jpg

It's look really dangerous because it's horns, claws and thorns, and I liked curved design and how posable it is. Leg joints is solid and move only in one dimension, it is made as Draqon Queen legs with "+" holes in it. Earlier I worried that new color combination is not very harmonic, but in real it looks better than on photos, so as most of Lego sets. Also bionicle ball joints and details makes it different from good dragons, and this is fresh but still keeps familiar style.

View from the top:

87bd9d4e83e936e2e0ee2e4442aaee13.jpg

There are whole 5 horns on it's head! Also nice printed symbol of Goblin King. 

af2d15cdafabce23eb68556288fa6e4e.jpg

5495a44fa7cd4ebc14060880c1ee6cc9.jpg

Comparision to Zonya, the fire dragon, thay are the same size. Wyvern may fold it's wings and stand on them like on front limbs. That's epic!

b769d141df8b33f4264aa55cf8b6299a.jpg

Some intresting steps from instructions:

5ab42c02b977533dc3b57bda0e05cae9.jpg

And new illustration in the end of book:

e15caff323ee2a6546e53d7116aed105.jpg

There is some images from new app, and  characters are depicted in the old realistic style :)

And this surprised me a lot! 

561303c1998cd57ee4d9947edea2c0fa.jpg

A piece of rocky enviroment has simple and elegant mechanism that tosses up the crystal plate. 1x1 crystals is nice new feature. And there's new little blue piece with rounded corner:

f6781893c46f7386e8686a54ae61a28b.jpg

All characters:

d332190badada2c0aea860d11a8d1127.jpg

Goblin hair and shirt are not printed, it's moulded from different colours of plastic like baby dragons. Also, King's crown made with same method. I liked textile used for coat, it's dense and hanging under its own weight.  I just a little worried why King and wyvern don't have names :(

Little bear and her baby will complement the zoo of cute animals! By the way, squirrel, fox, pigeon and others are favorite charachers of my young sister :)  

And at last, I have such diorama of dark elves! I rebuilded green pool to make it look as it is in movie. By the way, ninjago ghosts became castle guards :)

95b746e7145d5c720a8922385e0d543e.jpg

And so, I glad that new set gives feeling of new turn of elves' story and adds depth to it - that is most important :) 

Edited by Marishka

Great review! I had been hoping for an evil dragon set to be released this year, and this one is certainly a big change from the four-legged dragons of last year. I appreciate the reuse of the technique the Queen Dragon used to add friction to its legs, which is necessary on a model like this since despite being smaller its bipedal anatomy means each leg has to bear more weight.

The picture of the new dragon by the fire dragon makes me wonder what the latter might look like with the former's lower jaw, considering that it would match its underbelly.

The array of goblins at the back of the book is interesting, and seemingly confirms the number of goblins for the year. I say "seemingly" because Brickset still lists a fourth unidentified summer set (possibly a store-exclusive) that could potentially include one or more unique goblins.

The Goblin King's dragon actually does have a name—Ashwing. No word on the Goblin King's name yet, but I wouldn't rule out getting one over the course of the year. The two bears are named Blubeary and Lil' Blu.

If possible, I'd love to see a picture of the parts list in the back of the instructions!

Thanks! :)

28 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

If possible, I'd love to see a picture of the parts list in the back of the instructions!

Yes, here it is:

c784b92867a814488bba40bcc3e03df7.jpg

It's ineed looks better on pictures than Lego art! I'm going to use the Dragon as Ragana form though.

The figures looks outstanding! Can't wait to collect all that goblins!

It's cool all the sets when you see them together.    It'll be fun when they come out here.   I still need to get Skyra's Mysterious Castle, if I can still find it in the stores.   And I'm also still working on getting the sets from 2016.

I'd like to know which pieces work great for making the dark magic fountain look better than how it was in the Fire Dragon's Lava Cave Set, please.

Thanks fo comments! :)

I gathered all of 2016 sets =)) Childhood me would be extremely proud for such achievement =D Most difficult was to find Precious crystal mine - before New Year it disappears from stores very fast, so I had to purchase it through webstore. I hope I'll get Skyra's castle too, it has nice discounts and still aviable. Now I build MOC variation of expanded Dragon Sanctuary.

1 hour ago, SWNELoveAngel said:

I'd like to know which pieces work great for making the dark magic fountain look better than how it was in the Fire Dragon's Lava Cave Set, please.

Of course! :) For round borders I used bricks form star wars set with droids capsule (I'm not fan of SW at all, so I think I'll never build it back), and half-round green plates are from Dragon school. Green dish is all that left from my childhood lego collection, it was from a space-themed set of 1996 year. Dragon's head construction used as is from Lava Cave set. Crystal is from Ninjago Wu's Dradon, by the way, I think it's great set - it sponsored cool weapons for my elves :)))

Also I added writing table to hall of Ragana's castle. It don't allow to open the door, but turns that space into working room. Sorry for bad quality I shoot it with slipper. 

a281e938843f04f2cb883b14f7e9c230.jpg

ea74cdb8d3b7dbde55ee63d38611043d.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if they sometime add a Dragon with a hot pink body and a lavender bottom jaw, along with lavender as the underbelly color?  [Because one of the noticeable differences between the build for Gust and how Gust appears in the two-part mini movie is her/his bottom jaw is lavender, and yet the pieces for making her/him included an aqua bottom jaw.

Of course, my idea is from the stand point of buying two of each set to make each location/building a bit more like their animated and artwork appearance.  So, that said, one would be ending up with two of each Dragon, and able to make changes to the second Dragon of each element, to make male or female to match with the 5 main adult Dragons. Like I said, I'm still working on finding some or most of the 2016 sets [some I just need to buy my second copy of; while others I still need to get 2 of each].   Hopefully sometime, when I've gotten all caught up, I can, at some point, take and post pictures of how the sets look expanded.

It makes for a fun challenge, right?

Thank you for a fantastic review.  I love the clear images you took and how you posed the dragon.  I also like that you have all the sets together to show us the entire antagonist side.  It looks like a great set to get and now I'm probably going to buy it when it comes on out here.  Here is wishing Elves a long and successful series : ).  Great Review!!!

Great review Marishka! Your pic of all the dark elves sets together has made my little girl want to do something dark for our next moc :laugh:

Hey Marishka, did you notice a code for the LEGO Worlds game anywhere in the box or instructions?

On 14.02.2017 at 0:14 PM, FortNerd said:

Hey Marishka, did you notice a code for the LEGO Worlds game anywhere in the box or instructions?

Hmm, no. I didn't noticed something like code or that logo anywhere.

Fantastic review! It is great to see pics of these sets out in the wild already; your pictures show them better than what I have seen in official pics so far. I am looking forward to picking them up here when I am able.

Thanks again!