stebai

[MOC] Lego Bumper Cars / Dodgems (Motorized)

Since Lego have kinda gone quiet on the Fairground rides, I've been busy!

I'd long since decided that I wanted some dodgems in my funfair to accompany my Carousel, Ferris Wheel & Mixer, so about a year ago a started doing some research. My favourite "existing" set was one on Ideas. So rather cheekily I contacted the designer, skcheung, and asked him for any advice, or tips. I liked what he had done but wanted to "bling" it up and redesign the mechanism to accommodate my own ideas. Anyway he helped immensely, I even asked him if, when finished, we as a team should re-submit my plans to IDEAS and share proceeds if we were fortunate enough to get over the line. Sadly the response put a rather large hole in any plans for Ideas, they are super unlikely to manufacture any design containing magnets as young kids have been known to swallow them... 

Anyway after about 6 months designing, 3 months collecting/buying parts and another 3 months tweaking once built, i finished.

It shares the same footprint as the Carousel (something i am determined to be non-negotiable for all my funfair rides.) and uses the standard Power Functions battery pack, motor and polarity switch.

My photo skills are a bit rubbish so there's a video at the end too.

Once again a big thanks to SK Cheung - Without his advice I would not have made a set that I am as happy with, as I am playing with this :)

32655653646_97609eed3d_b.jpg

32317120920_aaf7997c05_z.jpg 32543664732_d08a29884e_z.jpg

31853595344_b3da2c1798_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.... Now on to that GHOST TRAIN!!!

Edited by stebai

Oh yes this is very cool!  The movement is fantastic, it really looks real.  This would go down extremely well on display at a Lego show.  It's a very solid and attractive design too.  I like the stickers, the wings, the lights and checkers along the sides, the grill in the roof, the corner supports, the little garden.  It would be great to see a photo of it in situ alongside the other sets.

Ahhhh this is amazing! The movement of the carts as mentioned above looks real, jolty but also smooth! I like the way they switch direction too! The whole layout has a really good vibe to it which re-enact the feeling and looks of the bumper cars just right. This really should be made into a set, but it's a shame they won't due to magnets... 

I love it. The best part is that it really works. Would go perfectly with any carnival midway at the fairgrounds or even a theme park.

Hahaha the video is great all I can do is laugh thats how cool and realistic this is. Absolutely amazing and very fun to watch. Lego Ideas is more often than not a letdown but at least there are many Lego fans who are willing to share their ideas even if they won't get a very small piece of the Lego sales pie or fame. In a way I think its better and I end up remembering the creator and where I saw a design moreso than if its an official Lego supported idea. The free sharing of ideas ends up being better if it doesn't get the support, which few do, and or Lego winds up not approving it anyway. 

Simply fantastic MOC throughout. Very fun to watch and I would love to build something like this someday.

This is very impressive! I love the random motion of the cars. Their design is very realistic too. I would love to add amusement rides to my layout but do not have the space. Some of the motorized MOCs that AFOLs have created are amazing.