Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #157: Staking the Flag

heroicaquest15-monalisa.jpg
"Alright, well we'd best be on our way then. Should be a short ride."

As the Destiny's Bounty takes off Umbra pulls Hoke and Germ aside to the front of the ship.
heroicanpc-umbrashadeaux.jpg
"You've boz seen plenty of action and are allies of the union. What are your zoughts on war? Do you zink it is inevitable wiz eizer ze Wolf Gang or ze Alliance?"

Back in the rear of the ship Giaconda ensures everything is in working order, Ezeran, Torald, and Throlar stand by.
"So heroes, this seems like its the first big journey for some of you? Isn't it amazing how some of the factions back in Eubric want to lock all of this out? Imagine, all of this great big world and they want to shut themselves in and simply focus on the needs of a tiny speck of a city sitting in a vast ocean. Don't you think it's time Eubric played a bigger part in this planet of ours?"

33 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Alright, well we'd best be on our way then. Should be a short ride."

As the Destiny's Bounty takes off Umbra pulls Hoke and Germ aside to the front of the ship.
"You've boz seen plenty of action and are allies of the union. What are your zoughts on war? Do you zink it is inevitable wiz eizer ze Wolf Gang or ze Alliance?"

Back in the rear of the ship Giaconda ensures everything is in working order, Ezeran, Torald, and Throlar stand by.
"So heroes, this seems like its the first big journey for some of you? Isn't it amazing how some of the factions back in Eubric want to lock all of this out? Imagine, all of this great big world and they want to shut themselves in and simply focus on the needs of a tiny speck of a city sitting in a vast ocean. Don't you think it's time Eubric played a bigger part in this planet of ours?"

Ezeran looks at the landscape passing by from their elevated position.

"I travelled some earlier in my life but never in an airship. It sure is beautiful to see the world from above. I believe it's a great mistake for the people of Eubric to ignore the rest of the world and it's clear that the Crescent union stands for ideals that could benefit many people around the world. Liberty and progress must be spread to the masses. However I fear that the Alliance might try to consolidate their hold abroad as well. We almost caught thieves from the Ziegfrieds red handed in the doctors lab. It's disturbing developments." Ezeran sighs as the symbiont drools in his sleep. "Cunning is of the essence I guess. We can't let ruffians be in charge." Ezeran casts a brief glance at Hoke in the front of the ship.

Edited by MysticModulus

28 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The dark metallic orb hidden in his glove tingles as Umbra spoke.  It began whispering to Hoke tales of glory, valor, and blood.  Hoke refuses to let it in his thoughts.  The orb's mental intrusion left with a parting shot:

Coward.

Hoke takes in a depth breath to collect his thoughts and slowly releases it through his nostrils.

"I do not believe in being the aggressor, without good cause, and economics is not a good cause.  That being said, I believe in peace through show of strength and actual strength.  I want peace, that's why I prepare and train for war."

Hoke looks Umbra in the eye, un-accusingly.

"Why do you ask Madame?"

41 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Torald thinks for a moment, while Ezeran talks. 

9 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

"I travelled some earlier in my life but never in an airship. It sure is beautiful to see the world from above. I believe it's a great mistake for the people of Eubric to ignore the rest of the world and it's clear that the Crescent union stands for ideals that could benefit many people around the world. Liberty and progress must be spread to the masses. However I fear that the Alliance might try to consolidate their hold abroad as well. We almost caught thieves from the Ziegfrieds red handed in the doctors lab. It's disturbing developments." Ezeran sighs as the symbiont drools in his sleep. "Cunning is of the essence I guess. We can't let ruffians be in charge." Ezeran casts a brief glance at Hoke in the front of the ship.

I do agree with my dear friend. I'd love to travel the world, meet other civilizations, spread the knowledge and technology we have. That would be amazing, to be, well, liberators of sorts. Ofcourse the liberators need protection, and that is where I and other heroes come in. Ezeran and Throlar could protect themself while spreading our knowledge, but others might not. It'd be a great opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

"The Guild of Invision has always been secretive, a stark contrast to the inventions of the Tritech company. Do you think that in order for greater progress to be achieved we must all share our understandings and discoveries with others?"

4 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

Torald thinks for a moment, while Ezeran talks. 

I do agree with my dear friend. I'd love to travel the world, meet other civilizations, spread the knowledge and technology we have. That would be amazing, to be, well, liberators of sorts. Ofcourse the liberators need protection, and that is where I and other heroes come in. Ezeran and Throlar could protect themself while spreading our knowledge, but others might not. It'd be a great opportunity. 

"Exactly, though it is sad to see the backlash against technology at times. Take the automatons for instance, do you have any idea how much they could save in terms of labor and protection costs alone? And yet they are accused of striking fear in the public. How different are they than the magical spells of a wizard?"

25 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"I do not believe in being the aggressor, without good cause, and economics is not a good cause.  That being said, I believe in peace through show of strength and actual strength.  I want peace, that's why I prepare and train for war."

Hoke looks Umbra in the eye, un-accusingly.

"Why do you ask Madame?"

"For years my Fazer has failed in his attempt to rightfully establish himself in Eubric, ze Hinckwell's pay to raid us, we do likewise in an endleez cycle. What's needed iz a decisive declaration of strengz. Somezing zat cannot be ignored. Ulric wants war, I'm sure some in ze Alliance do as well, gods know ze Bonepartes are itching to use zat fleet of zeirs. I don't know what ze future will look like, but as long as our leaders are pussyfooting around ze subject nozing concrete will ever be accomplished. Ze Wolf Gang alone has done plenty, shouldn't we be assembling a strike team to clear zem out of ze sewers once and for all?"

4 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"For years my Fazer has failed in his attempt to rightfully establish himself in Eubric, ze Hinckwell's pay to raid us, we do likewise in an endleez cycle. What's needed iz a decisive declaration of strengz. Somezing zat cannot be ignored. Ulric wants war, I'm sure some in ze Alliance do as well, gods know ze Bonepartes are itching to use zat fleet of zeirs. I don't know what ze future will look like, but as long as our leaders are pussyfooting around ze subject nozing concrete will ever be accomplished. Ze Wolf Gang alone has done plenty, shouldn't we be assembling a strike team to clear zem out of ze sewers once and for all?"

"Preparing, I have not problem with, but if you're going to make a decision, if you're going to spring a trap, it has to be with 100% certainty at exactly the right time.  Doing it to early may paint us as blood-lustful butchers and lose us support from the people and therefore strengthening our enemies.  Doing it too late..."

Just now, UsernameMDM said:

"Preparing, I have not problem with, but if you're going to make a decision, if you're going to spring a trap, it has to be with 100% certainty at exactly the right time.  Doing it to early may paint us as blood-lustful butchers and lose us support from the people and therefore strengthening our enemies.  Doing it too late..."

"Is sticking our heads in ze sand and zinking zey won't hit us first... You've trained as a Dragoon, no? Iz zere a reazon you do not travel as one currently?"

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The Guild of Invision has always been secretive, a stark contrast to the inventions of the Tritech company. Do you think that in order for greater progress to be achieved we must all share our understandings and discoveries with others?"

"Exactly, though it is sad to see the backlash against technology at times. Take the automatons for instance, do you have any idea how much they could save in terms of labor and protection costs alone? And yet they are accused of striking fear in the public. How different are they than the magical spells of a wizard?"

Ezeran takes in the breeze across his face and ponders the questions. 

"The Guild of Invision are wise to be secretive, I see myself as a member of the Guild because they understand the need for cunning and information in gaining the upper hand. I would love to see a world where new experiences, discoveries and knowledge could be shared freely and help make a better world. However, as things stands now the old aristocracy represented by the Bonapartes, Ziegfrieds and Hinckwells feels threatened and will use anything they can against us. That means that even if we don't share information with them directly we must be very careful which parties we involve in our efforts, they could turn against us. Now take this:

Ezeran points to all of the airship.

"A wonderful, beautiful creation. A true symbol of what the union is all about. Let's show that to people and factions all over the world and make them unite under our banner for shared knowledge and technologies. In that you kill two birds with one stone: we gain allies for our cause and spread the ideas and dreams of liberty and progress as well. Tritech must be protected though, it is an edge against the might of the alliance that we must keep for ourselves. Ah, regarding the automatons, I know to little of that technology but it is vital that they are safe to use. We wouldn't want people to think that mindless killing machines are the way of progress and liberty. Have you at Tritech taken precautions in the likely event that there will be a heating of the conflicts in Eubric sooner than later?"

Ezeran smiles at Torald. "What we really need is more of the likes of Torald. Sound and able with his feet firmly rooted in the solid ground. Dependable."

Edited by MysticModulus

25 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran smiles at Torald. "What we really need is more of the likes of Torald. Sound and able with his feet firmly rooted in the solid ground. Dependable."

Torald seems to grow an inch by the compliment. Not so rooted right now, Torald says as he looks over the edge of the ship, feeling his stomach protesting. But don't forget yourself. Quick of thought, more then able with magic. You remember in that lab-set, where we were shrunk down to the size of our pinky's. You were able to just form roots out of thin air, so we could climb further. 

Automatons. Yeah. Don't really have much experience with them. But from what I heard, they can be used for heavy, dirty work. And they are good fighters. But they do need to join our course. 

"Is sticking our heads in ze sand and zinking zey won't hit us first... You've trained as a Dragoon, no? Iz zere a reazon you do not travel as one currently?"

"There's a difference between sticking your head in the sand and being on guard Madame.  Why are you so eager to strike?  As far as my dragon goes,"Hoke looks thoughtful for a moment, lost in time,"let's just say she, and well, she and another dragon companion of mine, are making allies and restoring the glory of her kind.  We may have more help than we think if it comes to war."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I certainly think it's true that Eubric needs to pay more attention to the world around it, but at the same time it shouldn't loose sight of it's own problems. The city is a powder keg just waiting to explode and as long as it keeps trying to ignore it's problems in the hope they'll go away they'll just keep getting worse."

"However, if you do want to build more bridges to the outside world, or need any outside help with your own problems, then I'm certain Titaan will be ready to help."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Standing their just listening for a little bit. My thoughts on war?! The only one who really profit off any war is the "persons" that play both sides or the arms dealers (especially the ones that sell to both sides). As for what is going on with the crescent and sungold, it seem more of a lovers spat. If I could I would throw bout of them in a room and force them to have sex with each other, just to get it out of their systems. 

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

From what I gather from this Ulric is that he is just some power hungry "Radio Flyer". What he is probably doing is going to start a war between the two "groups". And them come in clean up the mess just so he will have a better chance to become this "king" he wants so badly. 

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Doing it to early may paint us as blood-lustful butchers and lose us support from the people and therefore strengthening our enemies.  Doing it too late..."

Of course if they are just crazy, I wouldn't worry what any one thinks. They are probably be on any sort of reasoning. That is why I usually try to strike first and then keep striking. 

On 2/17/2017 at 0:22 PM, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran takes in the breeze across his face and ponders the questions. 

"The Guild of Invision are wise to be secretive, I see myself as a member of the Guild because they understand the need for cunning and information in gaining the upper hand. I would love to see a world where new experiences, discoveries and knowledge could be shared freely and help make a better world. However, as things stands now the old aristocracy represented by the Bonapartes, Ziegfrieds and Hinckwells feels threatened and will use anything they can against us. That means that even if we don't share information with them directly we must be very careful which parties we involve in our efforts, they could turn against us. Now take this:

Ezeran points to all of the airship.

"A wonderful, beautiful creation. A true symbol of what the union is all about. Let's show that to people and factions all over the world and make them unite under our banner for shared knowledge and technologies. In that you kill two birds with one stone: we gain allies for our cause and spread the ideas and dreams of liberty and progress as well. Tritech must be protected though, it is an edge against the might of the alliance that we must keep for ourselves. Ah, regarding the automatons, I know to little of that technology but it is vital that they are safe to use. We wouldn't want people to think that mindless killing machines are the way of progress and liberty. Have you at Tritech taken precautions in the likely event that there will be a heating of the conflicts in Eubric sooner than later?"

"Tritech stands ready to aid the Union however it can. We are ready for the day when the old no longer holds back the new. If that should come by way of conflict, then our expertise will be put to good use in protecting the people of Eubric."

On 2/17/2017 at 1:04 PM, UsernameMDM said:

"There's a difference between sticking your head in the sand and being on guard Madame.  Why are you so eager to strike?  As far as my dragon goes,"Hoke looks thoughtful for a moment, lost in time,"let's just say she, and well, she and another dragon companion of mine, are making allies and restoring the glory of her kind.  We may have more help than we think if it comes to war."

"I am not eager to strike, I am eager to plan for ze worst. My fazer may zink that zese zings will be sorted out peacefully, but he is blind if he does not see ze storm coming ahead of us." Umbra pauses as Hoke mentions Torc. "Zat is good to hear. Dragons are one of ze few creatures zat can match a wizard in strengz of magic."

On 2/17/2017 at 1:33 PM, Lord Duvors said:

"I certainly think it's true that Eubric needs to pay more attention to the world around it, but at the same time it shouldn't loose sight of it's own problems. The city is a powder keg just waiting to explode and as long as it keeps trying to ignore it's problems in the hope they'll go away they'll just keep getting worse."

"However, if you do want to build more bridges to the outside world, or need any outside help with your own problems, then I'm certain Titaan will be ready to help."

The Doctor smiles at Throlar.
"Thank you kindly. Yes, you are right in that we must ensure that the problems at home are seen to as well, but thankfully the two objectives are not mutually exclusive, and with heroes like yourselves, I'm sure there is much that can be accomplished."

On 2/17/2017 at 2:35 PM, samuraiturtle said:

Standing their just listening for a little bit. My thoughts on war?! The only one who really profit off any war is the "persons" that play both sides or the arms dealers (especially the ones that sell to both sides). As for what is going on with the crescent and sungold, it seem more of a lovers spat. If I could I would throw bout of them in a room and force them to have sex with each other, just to get it out of their systems. 

"Your philosophy of love-making, I'm sure it has won you many ladies.

From what I gather from this Ulric is that he is just some power hungry "Radio Flyer". What he is probably doing is going to start a war between the two "groups". And them come in clean up the mess just so he will have a better chance to become this "king" he wants so badly. 

"All ze more reason to pay him ze attention he is due. Every day he earns more of ze poor to his side wiz empty promises."

Of course if they are just crazy, I wouldn't worry what any one thinks. They are probably be on any sort of reasoning. That is why I usually try to strike first and then keep striking. 

"Ah a man of action, I'm sure you will see it soon enough."

At this point the Destiny's Bounty banks northward and the coast line of Babeleth becomes visible.

"Wailing Warf, dead ahead chaps."

32860065921_4f7ff3851f_z.jpg

"We'll touch down about a mile outside of town. The village itself is pretty quiet, been here for at least 200 years and it's been constructed out of the carapaces of giant sea monsters the ships bring in. I've got a map if anyone wants to have a look."

32860064701_11ee28d6f1.jpg

"While the Automatons can handle construction, it probably wouldn't hurt to employ some locals to look after the place and keep out any miscreants. Your best bet is probably the Tipsy Tortoise, though feel free to look around the town if you want. Any questions? We'll be landing soon." 

"I'll be going wiz you heroes, we can offer up to 500 Gold, but ze more we can save ze better. Plus we'd best keep ze exact nature of our business low key, we don't want to be attracting any more attention zan is necessary."

Tipsy Tortoise sounds good, but let's not visit it immediately. I'm kinda interested to see more of this place. Let's go to Shett Tower first, and work our way to the Tipsy Tortoise. Give every place a go, meet some interesting people hopefully. 

"Your philosophy of love-making, I'm sure it has won you many ladies.

"Ah a man of action, I'm sure you will see it soon enough."

32860064701_11ee28d6f1.jpg

Any questions? We'll be landing soon." 

He couldn't help but just chuckle at the comment. 

I am sure some wish I was just, silent but deadly. As he look at some of the others "Heros". 

What are these three places? The Seastar Square, Cruster's Castoffs and Hostels? Is that what I think it is or some sort of hotel. 

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The Shell Tower is the seat of the local weather mage stationed here in Babeleth, Augusta Wynn." 

"A weather mage? That's someone we need to see and hopefully we can convince her to join our cause. Torald is right, let's start there!"

"I also feel like the Shell Tower is a good choice, but while we're on the subject of locations what's this 'Madam Mhims' place?"

21 hours ago, samuraiturtle said:

He couldn't help but just chuckle at the comment. 

I am sure some wish I was just, silent but deadly. As he look at some of the others "Heros". 

What are these three places? The Seastar Square, Cruster's Castoffs and Hostels? Is that what I think it is or some sort of hotel. 

"Seastar Square is simply the center of the village. The Hostels are the lodging place of most of the sailors when they're ashore for an extended time. Cruster's is a trading post of sorts and mercantile."

12 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"I also feel like the Shell Tower is a good choice, but while we're on the subject of locations what's this 'Madam Mhims' place?"

"I've never actually been in there myself, it's a rather gaudy building made out of the hide of a giant dried cephalopod."

The Destiny's Bounty slowly lands and the automaton begin to remove equipment and parts from the hold of the ship. The party bids the doctor farewell and makes off for town heading to the shell tower first. After an hours walk or so, the spiral of opalescent shell dominates their view.

32623757380_ef873d13da_z.jpg

"You have a plan, heroes?"

19 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"You have a plan, heroes?"

I don't, unless I try to become a "Weather Mage". But maybe someone else should try that, like Ezeran, that seem more like his wheel house. 

Just go in, talk to whoever is in there, try to convince him or her or them to join our course. That about sums it up.

On 2017-02-19 at 9:18 AM, Alfadas said:
3 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Just go in, talk to whoever is in there, try to convince him or her or them to join our course. That about sums it up.

Ezeran smiles. "Actually, my father was a weather mage and I have thought about training to become one myself so it wouldn't be a lie."