Sign in to follow this  
bitbamboo

Technic Product Range 2015-2017

Hi

As I am a visual person I put together this image. Prices are in euros and images are not at scale. If you spot any error just say it, please

32510763442_9923acc583_z.jpg

At a first glance, I am frankly surprised to see so little "old" yelow, red and blue around.

The main motivation was the people complaining in the 2017 thread about a dissapointing year for Technic and I wanted to see the full picture.

I had the feeling that there were less sets at the mid-range price, but it is not the case. I think that people just dislike each of this year's sets over 80 € because looking twice, the overall offer looks good. 

A point I dislike is that we are getting more sets in the expensive side than before

I think your 50 category is waaay too wide, the yellow dump truck was €26 over here IIRC, 42036 €40, 42037 €55, as was the fire plane.

Looking at the pic, two of this years mid range sets are really similar, one is a reach-loader, the other is a slightly smaller reach-loader with a container truck.. I might be alone in this, but i really dislike compound sets, id much rather have one big vehicle/machine then two smaller ones, as you really lose a lot of complexcity.

And if you group the 50 and 80 categories as mid range, we've gone from 6 very distinct varied sets, to 4, two of which cover very similar subjects, and one of which is just a PF parts pack with no mechanical complexity.

Also, 42000 and 42039 getting a (poorly proportioned) jet as a succesor kind of saddens me

Several prices look off - the Porsche's RRP, for instance, was €300. Same goes for the Arocs, the Volvo, the BWE, the Claas and the ship.

Shown are upper limits of price ranges. Porsche is in price range with prices from 250 to 400 euro.

Nice graphic, but as others mentioned the prices ranges are bit misleading as there's a big difference inside the groups, and between sets in groups next to each other sometimes a much smaller difference. Maybe you could make a continuous scale for price and place every set on the exact high? But sure it already shows that we are not getting less this year.

1 hour ago, Cwetqo said:

Shown are upper limits of price ranges. Porsche is in price range with prices from 250 to 400 euro.

What's the point of putting €400 if the RRP is €300 and most shops sell it for less? Incidentally, there are plenty of chances to get it for 1/3 off.