kennywest

[BUG] Navigation in new Technic Forum

Sorry if this is too off-topic or if this has been asked before, but it's been a while since my last post and it seems the forum software got a major upgrade. Kudos for that.
I am having issues with navigation through pages of threads, however. This has been reported already, please see 

The problem is, when you open a thread, like the one about the 2017 sets, there are 70+ pages. You should be able to navigate to page 2 by pressing the "next" button or the "2" button. None of those work, for me. I have already tried different browsers on different operating systems:
Chrome on Linux, Windows 10 and Android, Edge on Windows 10, Firefox on Android and Windows 10 -> none of them work.

As a workaround, you can click the next button, and then open the address bar and hit enter. But there must be a better way :(

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Thanks!

Same issue for me. I work around it by clicking back and forward on the page numbers a time or two. I have to do that to get to each page.

ETA I'm on a windows 10 machine using chrome browser. 

Edited by SlapNuts
add eta

This problem comes and goes. If you get a faint page of text hit your refresh icon and it should change to the page you want and text returns to normal.

I know that i have every time to refresh, but this absolutely annoying, and why it is only in the technic forum and not in other themes?

Edited by efferman

10 minutes ago, efferman said:

I know that i have every time to refresh, but this absolutely annoying, and why it is only in the technic forum and not in other themes?

I,ve come across the same problem on the Train Tech forum, but definitely happens more often on Technic forum pages.

It happens more in Technic since Technic is more complex.  With more complexity, more things can go wrong.  :wink:

I think there is more behind the scene javascript code for advanced to the next page in the new forum software than the old version.  It could be some timing thing between your browser and the server.  It would be nice if there is an option to turn off the visual transition effects.  :classic:

I've been having the same problem, but not even refresh is working. I can get to the first page and the last page of any topic, but none of the ones in between. It's happening on my mobile device as well.

It happens to me as well on multiple browsers and devices, but only in the threads. If I click on a particular index, technic or otherwise, it will load each page properly when pressing next or selecting the page number. But in any thread, regardless of page count, pressing a button does nothing, and I have to select the address bar, hit enter, then it takes me to page I selected.

No idea why, though.

Same issue here.  Not to mention I used to browse daily simply looking at where I left off of the previous day from my mobile device.  Now I have to jump 30 pages every time just to see the newer posts in a single thread.  I don't follow along nearly as much as I used to say the least....  I probably missed a ton of fantastic creations because of this site update....

Edited by 750ACE

Yup, similar problems here, I'm sorry to say.  Refresh button works eventually, but sometimes slow.  Also going back to the main forum page from a thread is sometimes incredibly slow (30 seconds or more).

Edited by aeh5040

By now I'm consumed by the habit of dragging the page links into the tab or address bar. Refreshing the page is no good because it breaks forward / back navigation - this was a huge black mark against AJAX in the early days, but coding practices and browser support improved. It's terrible to see basic usability like page navigation ruined because some devs at IPS wanted to tart things up. In contrast, using the in-thread new posts notification has never timed out when fetching new content.

5 hours ago, nychase said:

Same....I didn't want to report it because I thought I was the only one.   Its utterly annoying. 

Exactly the same here.

I also experience this phenomenon; when a page number or 'next' is pressed, instead of the requested page the same page reloads, but behind a light grey 'veil' and uninteracterble. However, this only happens to me in this forum; Train Tech, Town forums etc. all work perfectly.

It's a problem from the board not on the user end... So I guess each and everyone of the 60,000 EB members will come here to post the experience the same...

We're looking into this issue, please be patient, thanks.

The only place I never experience the next/previous page loading issue is between pages in the Technic index itself. In every topic I get the issue like 99% of the time.

We are looking into this problem, but it's not an easy one. Our server Admin is currently looking at possible causes, and solutions. The problem has been reported all over the board, and yes it's very annoying. I think it happens in Technic more often, because there's more activity, more topics, more posts, etc. My best guess is that it's some sort of database lock. 

I will keep you informed.

Not here. I have no issue in the other themes, only at Technic - whatever device I try. I think it caused by the fading effect, it freezes.

Idea: can we get rid of this fading? It doesn't add much anyway in this forum.