Lalla

Construction trouble with LDD

Hi all!

I'm Miriana, from Italy.

I'm new here. I've a trouble with my Millenium Falcon model. When I try to insert a part (photo 1) in the engine (photo 2), part become "ghost" and I can't insert it (photo 3).

How can solve this trouble?

Tutorial1- Feb. 01, 2017 09.4001.jpg

Tutorial1- Feb. 01, 2017 09.4002.jpg

Tutorial1- Feb. 01, 2017 09.4103.jpg

Hi Miriana.

The "ghost" issue appears when there is a collision problem, due to a partial overlap of a brick with another (usually due to a wrong built or to an error in brick's geometry) or when LDD don't find a connection and try to place the brick in the wrong place.

As you problem seems to be the second one, I second KamalMYafi's suggestion: use a scaffolding. A scaffolding is a structure that allows you to place a brick where you want and, once the brick is placed, have to be removed. You can find many exaples of scaffolding in this forum, for example this one: click.

6 hours ago, Calabar said:

Hi Miriana.

The "ghost" issue appears when there is a collision problem, due to a partial overlap of a brick with another (usually due to a wrong built or to an error in brick's geometry) or when LDD don't find a connection and try to place the brick in the wrong place.

As you problem seems to be the second one, I second KamalMYafi's suggestion: use a scaffolding. A scaffolding is a structure that allows you to place a brick where you want and, once the brick is placed, have to be removed. You can find many exaples of scaffolding in this forum, for example this one: click.

I know how, but I can't find something that allow me to scaffolding... :( ...

2 ways (one that can work elsewhere, the other, simpler, that will work there but not necessarily elsewhere):

1. Put the brick to rotate without the plate. Rotate it. Elsewhere, prepare two plates, one a plate-height higher. Select these two plates together to put one on top of the rotated brick and the other one on the longer plate behind (hence the height difference). Grab the selection by the plate that will end on the longer plate behind. (If you grab the selection by the 1x1 plate that goes on the rotated brick, all the selection will rotate to match the rotation.)

2. Remove the longer plate behind, rotate the brick, then rotate the plate, then replace the longer plate behind.

Happy Big Ben building ;)

23 minutes ago, Lalla said:

Have same trouble here (photo 1), how can I rotate brick below without rotating plate 1x1 up?

Tutorial1- Feb. 02, 2017 20.5601.jpg

Temporarily connect 1x1 with that long 1x plate using another brick and then try rotating the brick blow.

Edited by inkpanther

14 minutes ago, inkpanther said:

Temporarily connect 1x1 with that long 1x plate using another brick and then try rotating the brick blow.

LDD doesn’t want to rotate bricks that are connected at both ends. (Rotate tool has no effect. The bricks are blocked.)

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

LDD doesn’t want to rotate bricks that are connected at both ends. (Rotate tool has no effect. The bricks are blocked.)

Oh, my bad... I quickly put together a couple of bricks but apparently didn't use any plate underneath.

12 hours ago, inkpanther said:

Oh, my bad... I quickly put together a couple of bricks but apparently didn't use any plate underneath.

Have same trouble here (photo 1), how can I rotate brick below without rotating plate 1x1 up?

Solution? I'm stuck for this...

2 hours ago, Lalla said:

SylvainLS posted a solution above. :)

17 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Put the brick to rotate without the plate. Rotate it. Elsewhere, prepare two plates, one a plate-height higher.

First pic: 3 plates, dark tan one is the target, red one is the helper to place dark tan, yellow one helps to place red higher.

Select these two plates together to put one on top of the rotated brick and the other one on the longer plate behind (hence the height difference). Grab the selection by the plate that will end on the longer plate behind

Second pic: Select both red and dark tan plates, then grab the red one and place it. Dark tan follows and keeps its orientation.

a.jpg

b.jpg

One day I'll understand why people find LDD more user friendly than - say - LDCad...? :classic:

Edited by Philo

1 hour ago, Philo said:

One day I'll understand why people find LDD more user friendly than - say - LDCad...? :classic:

Ldd is more useful than ldcad...

3 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

First pic: 3 plates, dark tan one is the target, red one is the helper to place dark tan, yellow one helps to place red higher.

Second pic: Select both red and dark tan plates, then grab the red one and place it. Dark tan follows and keeps its orientation.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Big thanks for help!!! :) :wub:

8 minutes ago, Lalla said:

Ldd is more useful than ldcad...

Big thanks for help!!! :) :wub:

Tutorial1- Feb. 03, 2017 18.5004.jpg

It’s not very easy to see on your screenshot but what parts are you holding and what parts are already placed?

If I remember the instructions, the white telescope is placed first, the corner plate + panels + gold round plate with shaft are put together and then placed on the telescope.

That construction doesn’t need scaffolding. You should even be able to place the parts one by one. The white telescope, then the gold round plate with shaft, then the corner plate and the panels.

Maybe you forgot the plate under the telescope? Or a brick is a little bit out of place and causes a collision?

Screenshot_20170204_154515.png

Just now, SylvainLS said:

It’s not very easy to see on your screenshot but what parts are you holding and what parts are already placed?

If I remember the instructions, the white telescope is placed first, the corner plate + panels + gold round plate with shaft are put together and then placed on the telescope.

That construction doesn’t need scaffolding. You should even be able to place the parts one by one. The white telescope, then the gold round plate with shaft, then the corner plate and the panels.

Maybe you forgot the plate under the telescope? Or a brick is a little bit out of place and causes a collision?

Screenshot_20170204_154515.png

What number has the gold round plate? I not found this...maybe is that trouble. I use a plate 1x1

20482, in modified plates (plate with clip icon). The shaft/pin on top of the plate inserts into the hole of hollow studs (or clips, hands, etc.).

Only available in LDD Extended mode (menu View | New themes | LDD Extended).

LDD Extended has more bricks (especially the newest ones) but you need to color your parts (either you choose the color before picking or you use the paint tool). It also allows to paint any brick in any color (even legacy ones, like old grays).

(You know what mode you are in with the color of the tool bar: blue for “LDD,” brown for “LDD Extended.”)

Edited by SylvainLS

20482, in modified plates (plate with clip icon). The shaft/pin on top of the plate inserts into the hole of hollow studs (or clips, hands, etc.).

Only available in LDD Extended mode (menu View | New themes | LDD Extended).

LDD Extended has more bricks (especially the newest ones) but you need to color your parts (either you choose the color before picking or you use the paint tool). It also allows to paint any brick in any color (even legacy ones, like old grays).

(You know what mode you are in with the color of the tool bar: blue for “LDD,” brown for “LDD Extended.”)

Thanks, you are so precious for me... :)

What number has the gold round plate? I not found this...maybe is that trouble. I use a plate 1x1

The left figurine shouldn’t be there. You can’t turn because of it.

Else, the rotation tool on the lower brick should work for both.

(Have you tried the “Outlines on bricks” option? (not available everywhere))