"Surprise, I'm back!"

It's been quite a while since I've posted on Eurobricks, and I just couldn't call my Koenigsegg project officially finished until I made a post on here. What better way to do that than to take you along for the whole journey of the build!

The Journey

This project started well over a year ago - October 2015, to be exact. The Arocs' long pneumatic cylinder was a perfect fit for an accurate Triplex suspension, and that's exactly where I started.

22054724686_fbb7206590_c.jpg
Version 1 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

The first prototype had several problems, notably the 4L differential's odd geometry and the stubby wheel axles. Along with the revision of the rear axle came the first front axle prototype, which despite being very slim had problems with the suspension travel.

22073388126_35f0dcaee5_c.jpg
Version 2 + Front Axle by VKTechnic, on Flickr

The next logical step was to build a mock chassis and hook up some motors to test the speed. The logical step, however, turned out to be a roadblock, as I realized the front suspension was two studs too wide.

22271706556_d7a8efc684_c.jpg
Back to the drawing board... by VKTechnic, on Flickr

After this roadblock came a long 11 month hiatus, during which work, school, and participation on a Formula SAE racing team kept me busy. During that time, my Facebook page surpassed 1000 likes, and BrickCon 2016 was steadily approaching. The imminent threat of a MOC-less convention spurred me to start livestreaming builds again, and with that, we saw significant progress on the chassis:

28784127494_7f438deacf_c.jpg
Shady's Back by VKTechnic, on Flickr

At this point, the front suspension was rebuilt to use the torsion of axles in place of shock absorbers, mainly to keep the assembly compact and simple. A functional door assembly and the start of the active rear wing mechanism was also taking shape, and an order of electronics from TLG finished off the engine bay.

29598325975_3d675f1403_c.jpg
Quick update by VKTechnic, on Flickr

The next livestream marked a key feature off my checklist: a remote controlled, active, top-mounted rear wing. Not only that, but the rear engine cover could also be opened to reveal the technology below.

29849545576_ceaf79ed63_c.jpg
Taking Shape by VKTechnic, on Flickr

At this point, I began running out of white pieces, but progress went on with any colored piece I could find. Capturing the iconic front end required a lot of creative building techniques and some compromise, but by the end of the next livestream, I saw the finish line in sight.

29282135963_2018fd23bd_c.jpg
A Unicorn Pooped on my Car! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Only one livestream came after that, in which I completed the rainbow car. Five Bricklink orders and two small LEGO sets later, and the model was displayed in all its glory at BrickCon 2016. Despite an amazing crowd response, the Koenigsegg took home no awards. Nonetheless, the final model was a massive success, and it surpasses my Mustang as my best model I've built.

The Final Model

31381014835_64a5aa1695_c.jpg
Koenigsegg One:1 Photoshoot by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Let's get the specs out of the way first.

• Full suspension, with Triplex SLA rear suspension, rear Z-shaped sway bar, and front torsion bar SLA suspension
  • Remote controlled drive and steering, with 2XL motors for drive geared 1.191:1 and steering powered by a servo motor with a working steering wheel and Ackermann geometry
  • Remote controlled top-mounted active rear wing powered by 1 M-Motor
  • Opening engine bay and working synchrono-dihedral doors
  • Adjustable seat angle (just for fun)

As the specs list shows, this is my most technical model by far, and seeing all of those features working on the final product is extremely satisfying. A few drives around the convention floor at BrickCon showed very minor problems with the car, most notably the tendency of LEGO's CV joint axles to slip out of the differential. Aside from that, the suspension was very responsive and balanced, steering radius was adequate, the rear wing worked, and overall the model was very solid.

31381014685_4957e629c3_c.jpg

As always, a few things could be improved. Quite a few bits of the model were "floating", i.e. not fully secured. The taillights are a prime example of this, since the only piece holding them in place was the stud end of a 3L axle with stud. This meant that the taillights were not only prone to falling off if handled poorly, but they had to be occasionally adjusted to be symmetrical. Aside from that, the roof line was slightly too flat, and the studded wing bugs me ever so slightly. Despite all this, I'm very, very happy with the final product, and to this day it sits assembled right by my build area.

31381014195_0bf728e2f5_c.jpg

Media Coverage

Despite the Koenigsegg not taking an award at BrickCon, it managed to get a large amount of media attention. I do need to begin by personally thanking Ben Dominguez Studios, a good friend and local photographer, for the professional photos of the finished model you see in this post. I myself couldn't have achieved the same level of professionalism and quality that he did, and the final result speaks for itself.

The next piece of media happened at BrickCon itself: an interview with Beyond the Brick. Having this interview released to the public was my excuse for not making my own video covering the Koenigsegg's functions, since it was a very well done video!

This video was later noticed by Koenigsegg's own social media team, and seeing them share the video absolutely made my night. That social media post resulted in a request for the purchase of a copy of said model, which necessitated the creation of an LDD model. Should this commission fall through, I will most likely release the LDD file for public download!

While the Koenigsegg video was shared around, the model made its way to a blog I had never been able to reach before: The Brother's Brick. Seeing my model among the cream of the crop of LEGO creations of all themes just leaves me speechless, just wow.

Conclusion

31236917522_9a3521bd0c_c.jpg

This model easily takes the title of my best model to date, and I could not be happier with the result. Each bit of media attention has brought a massive smile to my face, and I think I can confidently say that my inspiration to build has been rekindled. I hope you all enjoy the model, and I look forward to your thoughts and feedback!

Well done,  I love it.  Especially the attention to detail on the little things like getting the suspension right :) 

Very nice to read this background story and a great end result. One of the details I like: the way the flex axles underneath the headlights flow into the wheel archs. You've achieved something to be proud of!

Congratulations on all the new experience, fun and media coverage this model has brought to you. This is something you deserve as model is very nice!

Looks amazing! For some reason I see a little bit of Dodge Viper ACR in there - maybe it's the red colour scheme. Definitely looks sufficiently aggressive, and congratulations on getting noticed by Koenigsegg!

Congrats on the media coverage.  I like the use of the pneumatic cylinder but am not a fan of the system bricks studs showing.  Although it looks great, I personally like the one which was created by pvdb.

Great job replicating the exterior of the vehicle, I think one of my favorite bits is how the doors function so smoothly. For the pneumatic suspension dampeners, did you just seal the end of the cylinder, or is there some control of the pressure in them, for softer/harder dampening?

22 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Great job replicating the exterior of the vehicle, I think one of my favorite bits is how the doors function so smoothly. For the pneumatic suspension dampeners, did you just seal the end of the cylinder, or is there some control of the pressure in them, for softer/harder dampening?

There is a switch on the driver's side where I can hook up a pump to pressurize the cylinder.

This is a really great model.  I saw it briefly at BrickCon, but sadly I was in the middle of a move during that weekend so I could only attend for a couple of hours.  I would have liked to spend more time looking at the details.  When you finish the LDD, I'd be happy to make a cutaway render showing everything going on inside.

Nice one (pun intended :wink:)

The door mechanism is particularly cool. A bit too much systembricks for my taste though.

And of course congrats on being spotted by Koenigsegg, I can imagine that totally made your day

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

This is a really great model.  I saw it briefly at BrickCon, but sadly I was in the middle of a move during that weekend so I could only attend for a couple of hours.  I would have liked to spend more time looking at the details.  When you finish the LDD, I'd be happy to make a cutaway render showing everything going on inside.

I've already got the LDD made, minus the flex axles and a few other pieces that just barely don't fit. I can still send it over if you'd like :classic:

Amazing looks, I especialy love those red stripes and I think this car needs/deserves a more detailed presentation, since I'd really like to see how well it performs. Fantastic job on the chassiss as well. Congratulations on media coverage.:thumbup:

Best regards,

miha

Nice model! :wub:

The only area I am not crazy about is the connectors in the front sharing 2 flexible axles. They look like they are ready to fall out.

Really cool that Koenigsegg noticed this epic creation, I was there for some of the live streams, they were fun to watch.

I have a question about the anti roll bar (applies to the real car too, this lego version is identical to the real thing - great job!).. the Z-shaped anti roll bar creates a direct mechanical connection between left and right sides, so if one side moves, the other one has to also - this means there is no independent suspension?

The more common anti roll bars have a long section that acts as a torsion spring, so each can move independently, but force is transmitted via the long torsion element of the anti roll bar.. the Z version has zero flex. left hand side goes up, right hand side has to also - i've watched Koenigsegg video on youtube, and as mentioned above, this moc is totally correct... i think i must be missing something? 

8 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

I have a question about the anti roll bar (applies to the real car too, this lego version is identical to the real thing - great job!).. the Z-shaped anti roll bar creates a direct mechanical connection between left and right sides, so if one side moves, the other one has to also - this means there is no independent suspension?

Not quite. the anti roll bar should have a certain amount of give, like a large shock absorber of sorts. The give of the roll bar simply isn’t as large as that of the standard shocks on both sides, so there is independent suspension but if the car goes over a large bump, depressing the independent shocks and therefore the roll bar to more than it can withhold it acts as a solid connection between both wheels, preventing rolling. Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

The more common anti roll bars have a long section that acts as a torsion spring, so each can move independently, but force is transmitted via the long torsion element of the anti roll bar.. the Z version has zero flex. left hand side goes up, right hand side has to also - i've watched Koenigsegg video on youtube, and as mentioned above, this moc is totally correct... i think i must be missing something? 

In the One:1's anti-roll bar (ARB), instead of using a long bar in torsion to transfer energy, they use the central beam (in the MOC, it's a #2 connector) in bending to transfer the energy during roll. Essentially, the Z version has flex, just in that central member. :classic: 

3 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Not quite. the anti roll bar should have a certain amount of give, like a large shock absorber of sorts. The give of the roll bar simply isn’t as large as that of the standard shocks on both sides, so there is independent suspension but if the car goes over a large bump, depressing the independent shocks and therefore the roll bar to more than it can withhold it acts as a solid connection between both wheels, preventing rolling. Hope that helps.

Also not quite :wink:  While you're kind-of right about the 'give' of the roll bar, it's less about bumps and more about cornering. Essentially, the more a car rolls or leans in a corner, the less grip you have on the inside tires, which decreases your maximum cornering speed and the stability of the car. The anti-roll bar transfers part of the load from the outside tire to the inside (minimizing the roll), while having enough 'give' (storing energy via twisting (or in this case, bending the central link of the z-bar)) to allow the car to go over rough patches in the road and also roll a slight amount (some roll is good for mechanical grip).

Hope this clarifies it a bit :classic: 

4 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

In the One:1's anti-roll bar (ARB), instead of using a long bar in torsion to transfer energy, they use the central beam (in the MOC, it's a #2 connector) in bending to transfer the energy during roll. Essentially, the Z version has flex, just in that central member. :classic: 

Also not quite :wink:  While you're kind-of right about the 'give' of the roll bar, it's less about bumps and more about cornering. Essentially, the more a car rolls or leans in a corner, the less grip you have on the inside tires, which decreases your maximum cornering speed and the stability of the car. The anti-roll bar transfers part of the load from the outside tire to the inside (minimizing the roll), while having enough 'give' (storing energy via twisting (or in this case, bending the central link of the z-bar)) to allow the car to go over rough patches in the road and also roll a slight amount (some roll is good for mechanical grip).

Hope this clarifies it a bit :classic: 

As the centrifugal force during cornering could be compared to uneven traction therefore abnormalities in the driving surface causing uplift of one of the wheels I simply chose the bump example for simplicity. Some students I have tutored found the idea of centrifugal force in an object not tied to a stick by a string difficult to grasp, and I wish to make no assumptions about TeamThrift’s age or grasp of the subject. :)

Ha! don't worry about assumptions! My only query is the flex (or lack of) in the Z element... i'm totally happy with how more conventional anti-roll works, i just couldn't see the 'flex' in the z version... but it appears the central element does have some flex on the real thing. How does that translate in the lego version, the #2 connector is a pretty rigid piece?

By the way, i started down this route as i'm currently building a Peugeot 208 T16 pikes peak moc that uses something similar - torsion bar springs and a rocker arm onto a Z-type anti roll mechanism. Your life like implementation of the suspension is exactly what i'm aiming to achieve.. adding suspension is easy, life-like geometry not so! Its great to be able to discuss it though..