Sign in to follow this  
Jeffinslaw

9V Motor Slipping

Hey guys, I'm having some major traction issues with my new California Zephyr train. It's three engines, followed by the powered baggage car followed by eight more cars. Each car is 48 studs long. No interiors because I wanted to keep the weight down. Any suggestions to improve the traction? Should I add some more weight to the baggage car to help with traction? What about some new rubber bands for the wheels? Two 9V motors should have more than enough power to pull this train.

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

.........you could always switch over to PowerFunctions..........

But yes, if you can focus as much weight as possible over any/all powered wheels, you should see better traction returns. Also, if the 9v motors still have their original traction tires, it's probably time to get new ones-- I believe O or HO scale traction tires would suffice, as long as they're tubular ones (not the flat kind).

17 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

.........you could always switch over to PowerFunctions..........

But yes, if you can focus as much weight as possible over any/all powered wheels, you should see better traction returns. Also, if the 9v motors still have their original traction tires, it's probably time to get new ones-- I believe O or HO scale traction tires would suffice, as long as they're tubular ones (not the flat kind).

Switching to PowerFunctions is not an option :wink: will never give up my 9V. Especially since I just dropped $600 on some ME Models 9V track and about $250 on some more 9V motors. What kind of weights would you suggest? Also, have any links to some O or HO scale traction tires? 

16 hours ago, asleepatheswitch said:

Try putting the power in the first two engines.  Also run the motors "bare" and put the fastest first.  Sounds like a lot of weight.  Good luck!

Unfortunately, that will not work. The engines are using triple truck set ups so I can't move the motor up to the engines. What do you mean by running the motors "bare"?

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

33 minutes ago, Jeffinslaw said:

Switching to PowerFunctions is not an option :wink: will never give up my 9V. Especially since I just dropped $600 on some ME Models 9V track and about $250 on some more 9V motors. What kind of weights would you suggest? Also, have any links to some O or HO scale traction tires? 

Unfortunately, that will not work. The engines are using triple truck set ups so I can't move the motor up to the engines. What do you mean by running the motors "bare"?

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

I've had some success with these. As for weights, adding a AA battery box or something like that should be sufficient.

Edited by jtlan
+advice on weights

I guess with " running the motors "bare"? " is running the motor alone on the track to see witch one runs faster.

because they are very cheap 'mass produced 3 pole rotor' motors, there will be always a speed difference.

motors with a 5 pole rotor run smoother and have a higher torque too.

you can compare it with a 4 cylinder engine and a 8 cylinder engine.

11 hours ago, jtlan said:

I've had some success with these. As for weights, adding a AA battery box or something like that should be sufficient.

Will have to pick some of those up! Thanks for the link.

10 hours ago, Ludo said:

I guess with " running the motors "bare"? " is running the motor alone on the track to see witch one runs faster.

because they are very cheap 'mass produced 3 pole rotor' motors, there will be always a speed difference.

motors with a 5 pole rotor run smoother and have a higher torque too.

you can compare it with a 4 cylinder engine and a 8 cylinder engine.

Ah, makes sense.

9 hours ago, coaster said:

Load up on some Train/Boat weights: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=73090a#T=S&O={}

All of my engines have 2-4 of these in them.  Never have slipping any more. 

Thanks, will be picking up some of those as well.

-Jeffinslaw