Aleh

[WIP] International Lonestar Truck, 5000+ parts

Hello everyone! Some updates of the Lonestar truck... Feel free to say what you think. Pictures are clickable, I hope...
e54f4e546319714.jpg c787a9546319701.jpg7c11d1546319684.jpg

Edited by Aleh

You've got a good start, but the grill doesn't taper like the real one. Maybe move the bottom parts of the grill in?

I think the hood is to low, or the trackwidth to large. It looks much to wide.

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

You've got a good start, but the grill doesn't taper like the real one. Maybe move the bottom parts of the grill in?

It's very hard to realise this hood like the original one because of it's curves... 
Trying to do all my best..

10 hours ago, efferman said:

I think the hood is to low, or the trackwidth to large. It looks much to wide.

Hm, you mean to make the hood higher and wider? Or to make the sleeping unit more arrow and the hood just higher without making it wider?
I personally prefer the second choise...

Edited by Aleh

I agree with Efferman, the hood looks to low,. I think the width is ok. Great progress nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Sylvian said:

I agree with Efferman, the hood looks to low,. I think the width is ok. Great progress nonetheless. 

Affirmative. I'll make it a stud or even two higher. Afterall it will look more massive. 
Thank to you guys I'll make this truck better and closer the the original model!

Currently iam talking only about the hood. The mudguard of the original seems more narrow and is getting thicker in directin of the middle. Maybe this it is why your hood looks so flat.

Agreed, very wide and flat. Also the mudguards are far from being that flat. They curve upwards, That may create the impression that the hood overhangs them quite a little, but in fact the top of the hood is almost at the height of 2 wheels stacked on top of each other.

12 hours ago, efferman said:

Currently iam talking only about the hood. The mudguard of the original seems more narrow and is getting thicker in directin of the middle. Maybe this it is why your hood looks so flat.

Making  mudguards like the real ones is a bit difficult challenge you guess..
Maybe I should try to use 3L beams and soft axles like in Red Lotus Hennesey Vemom..  Who knows who knows what I will get in the end...
About the front lights i'm pretty sure the parts like in white Alfa Romeo will match perfectly but I do not own them so will design something..
Thank you Efferman for your critics! 
:thumbup:

11 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

Agreed, very wide and flat. Also the mudguards are far from being that flat. They curve upwards, That may create the impression that the hood overhangs them quite a little, but in fact the top of the hood is almost at the height of 2 wheels stacked on top of each other.

Now I know I need to reassemble this mudguard and create the new one from the beginning.
For that reason I'm building only one side of the truck firsty and if I'm satisfied i buikd the second one.

And the problem is the hood lays in different layouts(?) I mean it is not vertically and horizontly so i didn't find any solution to fix mudguards to the hood. They are permanent and non moveable unfortunately..

The grill is a rather complex shape, and is almost shield shaped, and tapers in at the bottom. If you're having problems with shaping, I have some advice. Sometimes in lego it's better to imply a shape than to have a straightforward replica. For instance, using stepped bricks when a curve or diagonal is not possible. So, if you gradually step in the grille, it will look tapered. Also, the current hood is way too short. On the real truck, it is much higher. But keep it up, a Lone Star is a very difficult truck, and you've got a solid start.

Some update :)

96c56b548104101.jpg a5acbc548104119.jpg 

Make the hood 2 studs higher and add one soft axles at the bottom on each side, been building a new mudguards and the driver's space. 

That looks much better in proportions! Good luck with those mudguards, these look quite tricky to get reasonably right :D You have chosen the most difficult truck to build :D

Has designed and build some interior. Hope driver will feel comfortable. 

327c67549789022.jpg 

9c6186552123275.jpg 2c1ac1552123285.jpg a8964d552123295.jpg a21f6d552123309.jpg 

Good morning! Guys how do you think about this roof? From the one side looks good like the sleeper must be, but from the another side maybe it starts too early and I have to make it becomming higher 2-5 studs deeper from the front..

Looking at the own photo I'm thinking of total rebuilding the roof...

On 6/7/2017 at 8:20 AM, Aleh said:

Good morning! Guys how do you think about this roof? From the one side looks good like the sleeper must be, but from the another side maybe it starts too early and I have to make it becomming higher 2-5 studs deeper from the front..

Looking at the own photo I'm thinking of total rebuilding the roof...

Beautiful truck 

The roof looks a little thick though.

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted image from previous post.

While my wife was away yesterday and it was too rainy outside for biking I spent the whole evening rebuilding the roof. Here is the result.

08493f552317279.jpg 0364d8552317286.jpg ff5815552317293.jpg 379be8552317295.jpg 

Looking good, I really like the new version? :thumbup:

I'm just curious: have you tested the chassis to see how much it bends?

33 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

Looking good, I really like the new version? :thumbup:

I'm just curious: have you tested the chassis to see how much it bends?

Thank you! Very appreciate the comments! Bends? I little yes, no doubt. The weakest place of the chassis is behind the sleeper.

I tried to design the chssis as strong as posible to cope with the 5kg weight of the whole truck...

2 hours ago, Milan said:

@MattL600

Please don't quote pictures from the same page. Thanks.

Hey I'm new here can you elaborate? :classic:

@Aleh your truck has bushy eyebrows!! :laugh:  Very impressive scale and looks are getting better and getter with each set of pics you post.  I really like the fuel tank :thumbup: