ElectroDiva

2017 Lego Trains

What about a whole theme on trains?

You could have global trains (e.g. The Mallard, Stephenson's Rocket, a much better Hogwarts Express, Eurostar, Flying Scotsman), assorted buildings (e.g. signal box, engine shed, train wash, gantry crane, coal hopper), special track pieces (e.g. crossover, t-junction, turntable, diagonal crossover, figure of eight).

Edited by Vilhelm22

Remember that Lego still produces toys and is not a model railroad company:wink:

Since the My Own Train sets didn't sell well and Lego nearly went into bankruptcy in 2004, they only produce sets which they think sell well. Unfortunatly trains are a niche market, there might be a small demand from Afols but not from children. Talking about making toys for children, there has to be some action in it, like helicopters, cars or trucks. You can play on the floor with them and often one can play a lot of scenes with the minifigures included in the sets. Trains need some track and space, especially if you own several trains.

I count myself to the train enthusiasts on the forum, but I wouldn't think of buying a train related directly from Lego, of course there can be exceptions. I like to design trains and buildings myself and this forum is a great place for inspiration. I guess everything you said, like an engine shed or a coal hopper has been built by an Afol here and (that's my personal opinion) they look a lot better than the official sets. As for tracks, there are third party options like 4D bricks who want to start selling 3D printed switches this autumn

I hope I could help and I also hope for new trains in 2018, but only for the parts:grin:

Don't forget, in the winter village theme, the Winter Holiday Train should reappear this year because these sets often return for several years.

My only real hope for trains outside of the City theme are 1) the Lego Ideas Tram currently in review, or 2) maybe a large Creator set of The Rocket, similar in scale to the VW Van/Car/Mini/London bus sets, or the Sopwith Camel. The latter s a long shot based on nothing at all, but it's a lovely idea!!

Edited by PeteM

Hm, wondering why nobody mentioned a "Speed Champions Train". Shinkansen, JR-Maglev & Co :laugh:

Set 60052 is not marked as retired or soon to be retired in the Austrian LEGO store, is this just a rumour or has anybody settled info about this?

13 hours ago, PeteM said:

My only real hope for trains outside of the City theme are 1) the Lego Ideas Tram currently in review, or 2) maybe a large Creator set of The Rocket, similar in scale to the VW Van/Car/Mini/London bus sets, or the Sopwith Camel. The latter s a long shot based on nothing at all, but it's a lovely idea!!

That would be brilliant, and also highly unlikely. It has given me an idea for a small (LDD) project though, and there's plenty of others who have built them (google images link).

It's clear we're not getting anything else this year, but many think we are next year, as these 4-year patterns (4 years? Already?) seem to indicate such. I'm hoping they release another level crossing individual set, the 7936 was what got me into trains. It seems unlikely however, as the theory is they are cutting down on train stuff.

The next question therefore is what type of train would we expect (not want, we all want to see x/y/z, but what we can expect) to see in the next City trains release? These are the points I see are up for discussion: what type/colour of loco and wagons can we expect for the freight train, and what type/colour for the passenger train?

Perhaps a green electric for freight, (we've had yellow, blue and red a lot recently) but EU or US? And are LEGO more likely to do another high-speed passenger, or a slower local design? Region does not have to be so specific with passenger trains. It's all just pointless speculation anyway! :laugh:

19 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

Perhaps a green electric for freight, (we've had yellow, blue and red a lot recently) but EU or US?

Electric frieght rules out the US.  I suspect we will get a different color NA frieght with different cars that some will hate and others love.  What about an Asian (Japan) electric frieght?  Oh and some sort of high speed train with a complete nose cone in a color other than white. 

Generic enough guesses?  :)

P.S. I hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, pirzyk said:

What about an Asian (Japan) electric frieght?

That sounds like a plan, there is some material that might (just about) suit EU/US too: google images link. I quite like the colour scheme of that one, but it may be too much for City. The same in a plain or two-tone colour, with the red pantographs, might work.

As I'm British, I'm automatically thinking about two-cab locomotives for freight, but as we haven't seen many single-cab ones (even though the last one was) we might get another. Trains are evidently hard, as finding prototypes with universal is difficult, and they've used many of the generic shapes now.

Regarding wagons, as long as we get something more interesting than differently-shaped flat wagons with unsecured loads, I'm happy. But they do provide good play value (you can transport whatever you want on them). I don't know if any exist in real life, but how about flat wagons with foldable sides so they can be used for loose goods as well?

And yes, passenger trains in a colour other than red or white would make a change. I'm instantly thinking yellow for some reason, but grey or dark blue would be more prototypical. (what about that Metroliner re-release someone suggested earlier? I'm not so sold on that as a good idea for either us or LEGO.)

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Regarding wagons, as long as we get something more interesting than differently-shaped flat wagons with unsecured loads...

A sample assortment from Lionel:

(ignore that random coal tender)

ec3da565715c9aa57d326b970e0a0337--car-pr

It's not that there's no inspiration to be had from real life trains or other toy train manufacturers, it is just a question of how to translate this into lego form in a robust and cost-effective way. Unfortunately TLG usually chooses the cheap route by making okay tertiary vehicles that can be transported by a flatbed train car. I wouldn't be as mad about this as I currently am if TLG at least provided decent ways for such vehicular cargo to be loaded & unloaded.

In terms of engine colour predictions, I'm thinking either green, yellow, or orange~~ say, orange freight diesel + green passenger electric, or yellow freight diesel + green passenger electric. While I'd love to hold my breath for something steam next year, I fear that i'd pass out way before anything was even leaked online.

Basically if you want to buy a large variety of locomotives and rolling stock that are realistic and readily available, get into HO scale (or N, or O or something).

If you want a robust collectible toy with infinite customization options, stick to Lego. :wink: Some of us do both, but I have long lost faith that the Lego train catalog will ever be as varied as what can be seen in other mediums. 

Is anyone counting on some sort of train set for the Friends theme in the near future, or would you think that theme's target demographic might not be interested in such a set?

Personally, I go back and forth, not sure if that would ever be viable for Lego. But one thing I know for sure, is that we would never see a freight train for that theme. :wacko: :tongue:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of train within Friends at some stage, although obviously in line with the theme - so white with dark pastels or magenta or similar. I imagine it would come without track, more like the Monster Fighters ghost train than a true train set.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of train within Friends at some stage, although obviously in line with the theme - so white with dark pastels or magenta or similar. I imagine it would come without track, more like the Monster Fighters ghost train than a true train set.

Possibly such a set could be just like 2014's high speed passenger train, probably done in a white, lilac, and trans. light blue color scheme like the passenger plane in 2015's Heartlake Airport.

th?id=OIP.YqCeLoyqBMczXvkVOcIn5gEsDx&pid=15.1

Now as far as track coming in such a set, maybe they would exclude it due to its color choice of Dark Bluish Grey, which would not be fitting for the theme's color palette. I know that is an awfully superficial reason for excluding track, but I think that would definitely be considered in that decision. But hey, maybe they would consider recoloring the track in Light Bluish Grey for the theme, that I think would be cool. :classic:

53 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But hey, maybe they would consider recoloring the track in Light Bluish Grey for the theme, that I think would be cool. :classic:

Errrr.... Nope.

Right now I'm envisioning light azure rails. And this makes me freak out. Please stop it, this is definitely rustling my jimmies.

33 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Errrr.... Nope.

Right now I'm envisioning light azure rails. And this makes me freak out. Please stop it, this is definitely rustling my jimmies.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that a Light Bluish Grey recolor would completely replace the current Dark Bluish Grey variant, only to be done alongside the current one only for the Friends theme. That is, unless you're suggesting that you wouldn't want to see such a recolor altogether.

Personally, the one recolor I would like to see for L-Gauge track would be in Brickset color Dark Brown, for a rusty, worn look.

1 hour ago, Capparezza said:

Errrr.... Nope.

:laugh: I don't think it would be that bad! At the very least it would be "unique". :grin:

Like most AFOLs on here, I hope LEGO will release a bunch of trains wih separate locomotives and rolling stock, just as they did in the 80s and 90s and even in the early 00s with the My Own Train range, Santa Fe and BNSF.

Unfortunately, we all know this is not going to happen and LEGO will most lickely release the following:

- a main cargo train with some sort of crane, depot or other freight oriented building. I'm guessing they will go back to electric, since the last 3 cargo trains were all diesel. This set will most include one or two extra switches to make little shunting area. I hope this train will be a euro type, but not the generic diesel/electric like the 60098. Something along the lines of the RC 7989 would be nice.
- a cheaper passenger train consisting of three compartments with a small platform and an oval loop. Once again, I hope it will be of the euro type.
- a station
- the usual extra track
- MAYBE a rail crossing with some sort of MOW vehicle
- MAYBE an extra train set which will probably be cargo oriented. On other shunter-like engine would be cool.

I don't think any of these train sets will be holding a steam engine as it is just not modern enough. Also, LEGO seems to keep the steam train for their other themes (Lone Ranger, Winter, Toy Story).

Furthermore, I have a feeling there won't be any creator train soon as they released a steam, electric and diesel engine and they covered passenger and freight.

I think we need to get out there and get kids to love and want trains and more trains...especially the little ones that participate in LEGO's focus group studies.  :wink:

You know, perhaps we could see a train set done for the Juniors theme in the near future, probably utilizing Lego narrow gauge track. Now maybe you are thinking "what use could a Juniors set be to us train fans, it's really no different than a Duplo one". Well I think one possible upside would be the possibility that such a set could finally introduce a narrow gauge straight track, something I've seen a few people voice as part they are hoping to see. 

By the way, since everyone in pretty certain we will be seeing the return of the train subtheme for City next year, along with the fact that it seems unlikely 2017 is holding anything else in store for trains at this point, does anyone think that a 2018 thread should be started? :shrug_oh_well:

On 20/07/2017 at 11:30 AM, Capparezza said:

Set 60052 is not marked as retired or soon to be retired in the Austrian LEGO store, is this just a rumour or has anybody settled info about this?

All this is is that there have been a cargo train and a passenger train every four years (2006, 2010, 2014), so a passenger and a cargo train would be expected in 2018 too.

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Possibly such a set could be just like 2014's high speed passenger train, probably done in a white, lilac, and trans. light blue color scheme like the passenger plane in 2015's Heartlake Airport.

I think there could be something. Friends don't have a lot of public transport sets compared to city but the ladies somehow need to get to the ski slope or to the beach. Maybe a two car E/DMU with a restaurant car and a sleeping car? I think this would also fit the lifestyle in the friends series. To save costs it would come without PF, also leaving more space inside the cars.

What I would also like is a streamliner consist with a dome car, since these trains not only took you from A to B but also provided good on-board service.

Friends don't have to travel far to reach their forest camping or beach or ski slopes.  If you look at the map of Heartlake City, they're just at the outskirts of the city.  A regional DMU or EMU would service just fine.

I think a Friends push trolley with some tracks would have some play value.

On 7/21/2017 at 2:29 PM, *thomas* said:

Like most AFOLs on here, I hope LEGO will release a bunch of trains wih separate locomotives and rolling stock, just as they did in the 80s and 90s and even in the early 00s with the My Own Train range, Santa Fe and BNSF.

Furthermore, I have a feeling there won't be any creator train soon as they released a steam, electric and diesel engine and they covered passenger and freight.

Well, it could be possible to see an annual non-Expert Creator train subtheme, composed of $50-$70 three in one sets whose main builds would be a single, small L-Gauge locomotive, with two freight and/or passenger car alternate builds. This was something I proposed on @Ondra's Creator and Creator Expert Wishlist thread I've linked below.

On 7/22/2017 at 6:16 AM, Stefaneris said:

I think there could be something. Friends don't have a lot of public transport sets compared to city but the ladies somehow need to get to the ski slope or to the beach. Maybe a two car E/DMU with a restaurant car and a sleeping car? I think this would also fit the lifestyle in the friends series. To save costs it would come without PF, also leaving more space inside the cars.

What I would also like is a streamliner consist with a dome car, since these trains not only took you from A to B but also provided good on-board service.

I've always felt that the Friends theme would be perfect outlet for the introduction of a new monorail system. Besides, what could be more sleeker than a high speed bullet train than a monorail?

But having that said, I don't think Lego would ever introduce a whole new track system under the Friends theme, something more likely to happen under the City theme instead. And it has been said before elsewhere, that apparently a monorail concept was tested unsuccessfully with kids in more recent years; but I do wonder if it had ever been tested with girls for the Friends theme as an option. :shrug_confused:

On 30/01/2017 at 5:08 PM, dr_spock said:

It made it to the review stage. It's wait and see if it makes it to production.  :classic:

Unfortunately the vintage tram didn't make it :sadnew:

So that rounds off a pretty disappointing year as a Lego train fan

Roll on 2018...

With all those wonderful MOCs around here, it was only a pretty disappointing year in regard of official sets :laugh:

But as more and more Train MOCs even on LEGO Ideas are coming up, LEGO is not going to completely forget about us. That's for sure.

BTW, I'm really digging that Ship in a bottle...

23 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

Unfortunately the vintage tram didn't make it :sadnew:

So that rounds off a pretty disappointing year as a Lego train fan 

Roll on 2018...

It's a shame really, Ideas is such a golden opportunity for fans of classic themes, and many amazing projects have been submitted with not much significant success. I'm pretty sure Lego Ideas staff would love to approve of many of these original creations if they reached 10K, since they aren't based upon any intellectual properties; but AFOLs don't seem to make up for the majority of 10K votes. :sad:

At least original modulars have some success there, everyone (fans and non-fans alike) seems to love those.