Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

The retaking of Eolas: A hollow victory

The battle had gone terribly. The Drow had ambushed them and caught them unaware. They sliced through us like a hot knife through butter. Though they had smaller numbers the Drow fought savagely. Finally, after the first initial massacre, we at last gained a foot hold. Filled with a lust for revenge, the tides turned and we overwhelmed them. We had won. Although it was not with out loss. 2 out of 5 men had perished that day and many wives made widows and children fatherless. I felt anger rise within me. He would cleanse this entire island of drow before this the coming of summer and... 
"M'lord?"
He was interrupted by a messenger, a scruffy looking fellow holding a small letter.
"yes?" I asked him.
" y-y-you are Lord Maestro?"
He obviously did not recognize me with out my usual beard, which I had shaved off as a sign of mourning. "I believe so, you have a message?"
"M'lord, the true heir to historica has returned, m'lord and he is calling all faithful to his banner. I know you may not believe me m'lord but its true, the sent me too y-"
"Enough" I cut off his babbling and turned to a passing guard "Tell my commanders to meet me in my pavilion immediately". 
Cleansing Eolas can wait, It was time to join the king, and fight the real enemy.

31748275713_834cca8672_z.jpg

32407226982_2b7d3530ac_z.jpg

Not at all really satisfied with this build. The rock work is meh, the layering is meh, and the fig posing is meh :/ The story is also meh as I kinda got carried away :P Oh well, what I lack now I will (try) make up for in my next big build.  
Hope you enjoy :)

Also, yes I did see that arrow that fell out

The previous build in the saga: A heroes farewell

The Next build in the saga: A chilly welcome

Edited by The Maestro

It does show the aftermath of a battle fairly well, whatever you might think about its quality and design. The kneeling Maestro is a nice touch, as are all of your arrows. 

I think you're a little hard on yourself.  I like the detail, especially the use of the antenna in the flower for the blood and the other one in the guy's neck.  I think it does a good job depicting the battle scene.  I also like the story.  The loss of life really comes across, which many times gets lost in the heroics of a story.

You May not like the build, but I do! It has a really grim atmosphere around it, which fits perfectly with your story.

On 1/29/2017 at 5:26 AM, dathil said:

I like the red flower under the arrow to indicate the blood :p

Thanks, its a neat technique and the flower piece works perfectly :classic:

On 1/29/2017 at 5:52 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

It does show the aftermath of a battle fairly well, whatever you might think about its quality and design. The kneeling Maestro is a nice touch, as are all of your arrows. 

Thansk Henjin, I guess compared to some of my previous it doesn't seem like much but im actually coming to like it :tongue: I am rather fond of using levers for arrows.

17 hours ago, Grover said:

I think you're a little hard on yourself.  I like the detail, especially the use of the antenna in the flower for the blood and the other one in the guy's neck.  I think it does a good job depicting the battle scene.  I also like the story.  The loss of life really comes across, which many times gets lost in the heroics of a story.

Thanks Grover, I really wanted to depict it as a grim and hard battle rather than the heroic ones which are more common, glad you like it.

11 hours ago, TitusV said:

You May not like the build, but I do! It has a really grim atmosphere around it, which fits perfectly with your story.

Thanks Titus, I am glad you think it has that feeling as that is exactly what im trying to achieve

This is a well-built scene, Maestro!

The terrain and rocks look quite nice for this scene!  The fig posing and chaotic weapons/arrows make the image quite believable.  The kneeling Maestro really adds to the feeling of the scene.  Destruction and loss from war is not always represented for both sides in heroic tales, but this is more realistic to have losses on both sides.

I agree with Grover! Especially the fig posing is very nice, I really like the guy stabbed in the back and the guy shot by an arrow.

Edited by Isundir

You certainly captured the after math of battle well. Good choice to go with all neutral tones for the landscape :thumbup:

Very nice build, Maestro. The rockwork is good, though I would recommend having it 'step' in a direction, instead of being fairly flat across the whole front.
The RB and dark tan work well for the landscape here too :thumbup: