Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

If you were a new user to Classic-Pirates.com - which threads would in

newusers-signup.jpg

The upgraded Classic-Pirates.com has a New Users page which is to intended to introduce the Pirate Forum and Classic-Pirates.com to anyone that may have "surfed in".

Check out the New Users page.

What I'd like to do is compile a list of 5 to 10 threads which would generally appeal most to a new user. This is to encourage them to jump into the discussions faster.

So far I've thought of:

1. Which official Pirate Lego sets do you have?
  2. The Pirate LEGO Test
  3. Would you open a Mint in Seal Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO set?
  4. How did you become a Pirate LEGO Fan? Tell us your story
  5. A-Z of Pirate LEGO creations to build

But what other threads would generally appeal most new users?

Hmm... Existing threads and popular ones as well as relevant. That's tricky...

I think the thread on What's your story? could be good as new members would tell how they came to love Pirate lego and thus why they are here... It's the sort of thread that lends itself to newbies but I realise it's not one of huge discussion.

One of the threads showing a bit of rivalry between the fractions like Pirates vs. Islanders or the poll on what people consider themselves as if people come in as old fans of pirate lego they will have a prefference and make want to make themselves an introduction that way. That bit of tongue-in-cheek rivalry we have around here between reds and blues and pirates etc might get them interested in showing their persona and getting active in here... A little like how Green Hair came in, made it clear he was a Dutch pirate and emphasized his character through his creations from word go... Most of us have been like that.

If we're talking about 5 newer/newish threads then Ka-Boom is probably on the right track... a thread on building techniques etc could invite creativity and thus more interaction from visitors.

How about a link to the latest frontpaged MOC? I could do this... ;-)

And also I'd think that the n00b Pirates in the image should look a little more n00bish, using the Timmy face e.t.c... :-)

Off topic, but every time I see this, I think he should be saying "I have problems!" X-D

faq-i_have_questions.gif

Edited by SlyOwl

A-Z list of pirate definitions

A-Z of things to build

I was going to create a list of pirate definitions - or a "glossary" page, but the A-Z of things to build is actually a quite good idea. I think I shall add a page for that.

I think the thread on What's your story? could be good as new members would tell how they came to love Pirate lego and thus why they are here... It's the sort of thread that lends itself to newbies but I realise it's not one of huge discussion.

We do have such a thread already so putting a link to it would be a very good idea!

One of the threads showing a bit of rivalry between the fractions like Pirates vs. Islanders or the poll on what people consider themselves as if people come in as old fans of pirate lego they will have a prefference and make want to make themselves an introduction that way.

I've just linked to the whole Poll Archive Page for now.

a thread on building techniques etc could invite creativity and thus more interaction from visitors.
Yes, this could be a good idea...
How about a link to the latest frontpaged MOC? I could do this... ;-)

I don't think that's necessary because they should have already seen the frontpage News Items before getting to the New Users Page.

And also I'd think that the n00b Pirates in the image should look a little more n00bish, using the Timmy face e.t.c... :-)
They're Imperial Regard recruits, not pirates. But whatever! *wacko*

I don't even know what a Timmy face is, but if you'd like to design a better image for the page then you're most welcome to.

Hmm..how did I miss this thread! Anyway their have been some interesting points and idea's raised in this thread, so my contribution is this:

14d3_1.JPG

That is Timmy, and that is his face. :-P

AAHHHHH! Timmy from the Time Cruisers theme. Ya know, I think I actually have a Timmy mini-figure in my Flying Time Vessel or whatever it's called.

Nonetheless, I'll wait to see if SlyOwl wants to create his own version of that image. It's definitely not going to be a priority of mine for a long long time.

How about a thread detailing the best (and worst) Pirate sets? Someone could collate the data from lugnet, brickset, et al.?

That might be of interest to new fans, who are looking to expand their collection with quality sets.

Steve

Clickable names? What happens when the names are clicked upon?

Sent to an encyclopedia (Wikipedia) and/or a dictionary, probably.

How about a thread detailing the best (and worst) Pirate sets? Someone could collate the data from lugnet, brickset, et al.?

Yes, this is another good idea! Or maybe we could collate our own data.

Sent to an encyclopedia (Wikipedia) and/or a dictionary, probably.

I think each item in the list should have a brief definition underneath it and then perhaps links to the reference websites you mention.

I think you should also add the lego pirate films directory.

And maybe the string rigging tutorial as well.

Regards, Captain Zuloo ;-)

Edited by Captain Zuloo

A thread about non-pirate sets that are good for pirate MOCing would be good.

Also one about non-pirate figures that can be used in pirate MOCs.

Yes, this is another good idea! Or maybe we could collate our own data.

I think each item in the list should have a brief definition underneath it and then perhaps links to the reference websites you mention.

I think both your data and lugnet and brickset's data would be good. The more info the better.

Steve

That might be of interest to new fans, who are looking to expand their collection with quality sets.

Also pricing - although the original price is a rough guide, many sets have a new approximate value, such as the BSB at

I think you should also add the lego pirate films directory.

And maybe the string rigging tutorial as well.

Regards, Captain Zuloo ;-)

How about a link to page on the forum that shows all the indexes and tutorials?

A thread about non-pirate sets that are good for pirate MOCing would be good.

Ya mean like a thread that's about Sets containing piratical and/or complimentary elements? ;-)

P

All these ideas are superb! I've updated the page again.

Also one about non-pirate figures that can be used in pirate MOCs.

This would be a good idea, I don't think such a thread exists yet - anyone want to create it?

But if it goes into the realm of customisation then it'll get moved to a different forum and that will not help our cause.

I think both your data and lugnet and brickset's data would be good. The more info the better.

Agreed

Also pricing - although the original price is a rough guide, many sets have a new approximate value, such as the BSB at

This would be a good idea, I don't think such a thread exists yet - anyone want to create it?

But if it goes into the realm of customisation then it'll get moved to a different forum and that will not help our cause.

I was thinking about a non-custom thread, similar to this one about the Wild West. I'll start one.

Though, I'm not sure a thread involving customs should necessarily be moved to the customs forum. Since C-P is trying to be the site for all your Lego pirate needs, it might be permissible to have the thread here. Or if not a link to such a thread in the custom forum.

Steve

Thanks for creating that thread Athos! Perhaps there should be a corresponding page for it on Classic-Pirates.com - but creating it won't be a while.