Garmadon

Challenge V - Princes of Garvey - RESULTS POSTED!

On 18.5.2017 at 11:21 AM, Bregir said:

personally I would like people to be a bit more critical when commenting on my builds. Of course, it should always be constructive, and not all things to change,but it is nice to have something to work with. Many comments do tend to be focusing on mainly the things to praise. :)

I'll try to keep that in mind. Usually I do not want to be offensive or confrontating - at least I try to be :grin:

Just now, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Usually I do not want to be offensive or confrontating

I'd definitely like you to continue not being offensive! ;) But some suggestions for improvement is always appreciated! :)

On 18/05/2017 at 11:30 AM, Ayrlego said:

lol, the military is the same world over! Down here it's known as the 'bath tub' method.

We call it praise - criticism - praise, which in Danish goes "Ros - Ris - Ros" :pir-grin:

Just now, Bregir said:

But some suggestions for improvement is always appreciated! :)

What if I just like your MOC and there is nothing to improve from my pov?

Just now, Captain Braunsfeld said:

What if I just like your MOC and there is nothing to improve from my pov?

In that case, I will be happy! ;) (One could suggest trying new techniques, of course)

I am not asking anyone to "invent" areas to improve, but if you see something that isn't up to par, or have a suggestion, don't be afraid to share,  :)

Pou zwit fa. Thwamm chipi nhoh vaklehahk.

In other words: Whatever. Kiss the bricks for me.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, Bregir said:

Well, Maxim, personally I would like people to be a bit more critical when commenting on my builds. Of course, it should always be constructive, and not all things to change,but it is nice to have something to work with. Many comments do tend to be focusing on mainly the things to praise. :)

Yes! You mentioned this before, I am glad you brought it up again.

This is a good reminder, because I appreciate constructive feedback myself. And most of the time I try to get better with building techniques, positioning (not so much skill with photography yet...). But some times, I build just for fun. It is relieving to let go of the perfectionism/achievement pressure I so easily lay on myself sometimes. Actually, many of those builds are what I have been most satisfied with. Still, constructive feedback are always welcome.

I find it easier to comment on things to improve, if it is mentioned in the post that constructive feedback is welcome.  I will put that in the back of my mind, and see if I remember it when posting myself. Actually, any suggestion to what may have looked good in any given build does not even need to be critique. But it may be scary to suggest things, out of fear that the recipient will take it as critique. But I've learned that this forum are mild mannered and lighthearted, even when things are on fire, so no need to worry. If anyone was worried. :tongue:

40 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Can we expect the challenge result soon?

Yes.

Challenge V Results: Princes of Garvey

It is the end of an era – one which began with the discovery of a few islands and rapidly transformed many of the old regimes into colonizing powers. It has seen the birth of new rivalries and the rekindling of old, and the world of the Brick Seas has forever been changed…

01a_full.jpg

(Thanks for the scene above to Capt Wolf!)

The greatest war of our days thus far has been fought and won in the Brick Seas, and no nation may truly say that it has been unchanged or unaffected.  Mardier has been staggered and left reeling at the might of its rivals, and her king mourns that the days of its unequaled glory and power are no more!  The troops have begun an honourable retreat from the Isla de la Many Names, leaving the Eslandolans in sole possession of the island.  

The Eslandolans, with the aid of some Corlanders and some open-minded freelancers from the Sea Rats, have managed to come out victorious!  Cheering is to be heard in all the cities of the Empire - freedom and safety on the high seas have been restored!  What new challenges might await it as it joins the other factions in more thorough exploration of its now enlarged New World colonies?...

Overall Winning Side:

1st Place: Eslandola (3 Categories – Total Score: 107.92) - and as such it wins,

• The war...
  • the Isla de Many Names,
  • microbuild licenses (5 small, 3 medium, 2 large - free choice of category) to be placed in an extra settlement (if possible use one of the existing MAR locations) on the island,
  • a royal fort license (to be placed anywhere on the island, three microbuilds required, showing different parts of the fort, or one large microbuild, license doesn't count against the fort limit of the corresponding settlement)

2nd Place: Mardier (2 Categories – Total Score: 97.61)

Overall Faction Winners:

1st Place: Oleon (7 in Categories – Total Score: 87.34) - Prize,

• microbuild licenses (5 small, 3 medium, 2 large - free choice of category) to be placed anywhere, which are the results of the efforts of those trying to escape the Mardierian war to settle in other nations' territory,
  • a royal fort license (to be placed anywhere, three microbuilds required, showing different parts of the fort, or one large microbuild, license doesn't count against the fort limit of the corresponding settlement),
  • 3000 FIPs

2nd Place: Sea Rats (11 in Categories – Total Score: 79.09) - Prize;

• microbuild licenses (3 small, 2 medium, 1 large - free choice of category) to be placed anywhere, with the same reasoning as above,
  • two large fort licenses (not upgradable, to be placed anywhere, one microbuild required per license, license don't count against the fort limit of the corresponding settlements),
  • 2000 FIPs

3rd Place: Corrington (12 in Categories – Total Score: 64.55)

• microbuild licenses (2 small, 1 medium - free choice of category) to be placed anywhere,
  • one large fort license (not upgradable, to be placed anywhere, microbuild required, license doesn't count against the fort limit of the corresponding settlement)
  • 1000 FIPs

Individual Winners:

Prince of Garvey - @Maxim I (Total Score: 70.6) - Prize, Title and a 40% greater gain when trading in any GAR or ESL ports during the next four months/MRCAs or a 30% bonus on all landbased properties in ESL or GAR settlements built during the same period (the bonuses would not go away afterwards - just any new builds after that time would not be eligible for the bonus).

Special Mention: @Captain Braunsfeld (Total Score: 67.5)

Mardierian Ambassador(s) - @Kolonialbeamter (Total Score: 64.9) and @Ayrlego (non-leadership winner - Total Score: 33.7) - Prize, Title and a 50% trading bonus in MAR ports for four months/MRCAs or a 40% bonus on all landbased properties MAR settlements built during the same period.

Special Mentions: @MKJoshA (Total Score: 59.5 - leadership), @SilentWolf (Total Score: 28.5), and @Bodi (Total Score: 26.7)

For all the other individual prizes, please see this spoiler below (note - please include a note with you licence webform whenever one of these bonuses applies, or post in the Account Thread when an MRCA plus is given - it'll be you're job to see that these bonuses are counted):

Spoiler

Plus, all the following folks win:

A 20% greater gain in the MRCA whenever visiting an ESL port for the next three months after the results of the challenge are posted or a 15% greater gain on any landbased properties placed in either Garvey or Eslandolan settlements built in the same time period (but the bonus would stay in place for those properties for all the foreseeable future).

@Bregir

@Mike S

@SilentWolf

@Ayrlego 

@Captain Braunsfeld

@Legostone

@Faladrin

@Capt Wolf

@Elostirion

@Sir Stig

@Garmadon

@Kai NRG

@kaiju

@Professor Thaum

@MKJoshA

And all the following folks receive:

A 25% greater gain whenever visiting MAR ports for the next three months after the results for the challenge are published or a 20% greater gain on any landbased properties placed in Mardierian settlements which are built in the same time period (but the bonus would likewise stay in place after that).

@Phred

@Puvel

@Bodi

@Captain Genaro

@Mpyromaxos

@Mesabi

@Bregir

@Gideon

@SilentWolf

@Brickwolf

@blackdeathgr

@robinnilsson403

@Franco Clarke

@Brandon Stark

@dr_spock

@pombe

@MKJoshA

Category Results Summarized:

Category A:

"Mardier started off the war on a bad foot (though, of course, I doubt it has a good one anywhere), losing its already haphazard control of Terraversa, which is now recognized as an independent realm by everyone! - except for Mardier, of course...  But what with it's other - erhm - problems and affairs, Mardier has stopped actively trying to reclaim control, and  - well, maybe even King Alphonso XIII will be more tactful when it comes to the Death Guard..."

~ E. T. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois of the Eslandolan Continental Council

Read more about those results here!

Category B:

"No, no, no, no, no!!!  What's that, general??  You - you dare to burst into my palace with such bad news!  What do you mean two of our three cities on the Isla del Medio are utterly ruined by the attacks, and that the other has been taken whole by Eslandola?  What do you mean, the people are fleeing?  What!?!  The fort fell too!  They're - evacuating?!?  Enough!!  You, my dear sir, are FIRED!  Now begone, and never see my face again, you scoundrel!"

~ King Alphonso XIII of Mardier

Read the category results here!

Category C:

"Ha, ha, ha!  Who doesn't love the sight of terror-stricken greenies!  Yes, believe it or not, that's still the only thing we're talking about over here at the KPA - though, mis-fortunately, we did just have to evacuate... again.  Well! - we may have lost the war, but we still firmly believe the sea is on our side: those Eslandolans and there allies will pay dearly yet!  We hear there is fear in those dishonest hearts of theirs, and they think that Mardier is likely dealing in dark arts and sacrificing to Oleon's Poseidon...  We haven't yet heard back from the King on these rumours, but we'll go ahead and say that they're probably true!"

~ Editor in chief of the King's Port Advertiser

Read the category results in full here!

Category D:

"Mardier's maritime power is crushed!  And good riddance, we say! - and we're sure every good lover of liberty is with us!  The infamous Bumbel Tuna Trading Company has just declared bankruptcy, and apparently its owner has decided to try his hand in the snail business instead - he calls them something like Los'cargó... Honestly, we over here just think his recent calamities have probably turned his mind."

~ Eslandola's Pontelli Daily

Read more about the category D results here!

Category E:

"King Alphonso hadn't eaten much since he heard of the loss of the war until he received a letter this morning.  Suddenly his appetite and spirits seemed to return (with a vengeance!  I'll say!), and since breakfast he's been pacing up and down his balcony excitedly, muttering something about a second golden Mardierian age.  His territories may have dwindled, but (oh yeah - I did glance at that letter when he wasn't looking, you see) the general's letter regarding the discovery of the city of gold provides good hope that Mardier can now rebuild itself from the ashes of the now concluded civil war.  But will King Alphonso be able to guide the nation as Mardier seeks to redefine its future?  The people will be eagerly awaiting General Higery's heroic and golden return.  It's a pity he's too late to change the war's unfortunate end..."

~ Joshmy Briddel, Confidential Secretary to King Alphonso of Mardier

Read the result details here!

Category Prizes Summarized:

Category A Winners:

1st Place: Ayrlego (ESL) - Prize, 1 battalion of Terraversan mercenaries, free of charge and upkeep

Runner-up: Gideon (MAR) - Prize, 1 company of Terraversan troops, free of charge and upkeep, and 41149 Moana's Island Adventure

Category B Winners:

1st Place: Faladrin - Prize, 500 PIPs and a free medium fort (activated by a micro-build) to be placed anywhere, and 31063 Beachside Vacation

Runner-up: Kolonialbeamter (MAR) - Prize, 300 PIPs and a free small fortress (activated, likewise, by a micro-build) 
And - Ayrlego - Prize, 300 PIPs and a free small fort (activated by a micro-build) to be placed anywhere

Category C Winners:

1st Place: Kolonialbeamter & MKJoshA (MAR) - Prize, Learn ahead of time the location of the Kraken (either to chase it or to run away!) for the first two MRCAs, and possibly cooperate somewhat with the gamemasters as well!
And - Franco Clarke - Prize, Cooperate with with the gamemasters in moving the Kraken in the upcoming quest!

Runner-up: Kai NRG (ESL) - Prize, Learn ahead of time the location of the Kraken (either to chase it or to run away!) for the first two MRCAs - and, as highest scoring build in the category, 70623 Destiny's Shadow

Category D Winners:

1st Place: Garmadon (ESL) - Prize, 41150 Moana's Ocean Voyage
And - Legostone - Prize, A life-time supply of Bumbel Tuna!!! :laugh: :grin:  Reap a 300% profit next time you go on a Bounty Run (you'll have to let the automaters know after the KPA is published to triple the amount, or make sure they have already done so)!

Runner-up: KolonialBeamter (MAR) - Prize, Reap a 200% profit on your next bounty run! 
And - Bodi - Prize, Reap a 200% profit on your next bounty run!

Category E Winners:

1st Place: Ayrlego (MAR) (again!! :grin: :laugh:) - Prize,  A new island (of the Prio seas) of your choice for your faction and 600 DBs, and 31065 Park Street Townhouse

Runner-up: Faladrin & Captain Braunsfeld (ESL) - Prize, 500 DBs (/2 = 250DBs each)

A hugely impressive show, folks, and a great way to end the war! :pir-laugh: (I would say so :pir-grin:)  Once again, congrats to the winners and to all the entrants - you've done the Brick Seas proud!  I don't think we'll have another challenge quite this exhausting or lengthy for a while (:innocent: :laugh:), but I assure you that there's more coming soon!  See you in Era II! :pir-sweet: :pir-wink:

Nice write up and great build by Capt Wolf.

Just a quick genuine question, originally this was stated in the rules:

On 1/25/2017 at 9:35 AM, Garmadon said:

In the case of no decisive win, one way or the other, the island would be peacefully (well, not really... but the war would be ended) split in half between MAR and ESL.

With only 10 points between the sides, I'm not sure Eslandola can claim a decisive win...

Was the stalemate option considered? Just curious...

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Just a quick genuine question, originally this was stated in the rules:

With only 10 points between the sides, I'm not sure Eslandola can claim a decisive win...

Was the stalemate option considered? Just curious...

Yes, that was something we (I, and another leader had some questions about that too) had thought of, but you know, in terms of a contested competition where the winning side involves calculating averages, the probability of having a knock-out win is very small - the results are the added averages for each category, so if we were just calculating a straight total, the difference would be a great deal more.  

But if you want a clearer look at what I'm talking about, you can check out the total scores for the other three factions - the placing of Oleon and the Sea Rats is definitely no stalemate (or even close), but the difference in total score (added averages for each category) is less than the difference between Eslandola and Mardier.  It was fairly close with a 3-2 category win - so not a Mardier-is-destroyed-forever thing or anything - but an honorable retreat from the island as the rules provided for if Eslandola came out on top seemed like the right way to go given the end results.

And no problem, feel free to ask whenever! :thumbup: :classic:

There was some discussion in the Eslandola PM when the numbers came out for Chal. D, and some math was done. For Mardier to make it close with an averaging spread, they would have had to win Chal. E by more than four points. Without an average spread, Mardier would have needed six points or more. As it stands, Mardier got a less than one point victory in Chal. E. It wasn't an overwhelming win, but enough to be decisive.

Everyone who entered did their chosen side justice. To the winners, enjoy the prizes.

Great write-up Garmadon, and that's a really cool build to kick it off by Capt Wolf!  Congrats to all the winners, no use even trying to name them all. :pir-grin:  Did I understand correctly that I need to pick whether I want a 20% additional MRCA gain or a 15% additional property gain?

Go Eslandola, go!

Though I didn't do anything for the war (Elysabeth's still angry at me :wink:), I can only like the outcome!

Also, congratulations to @Maxim I for winning the title "prince of garvey", but also to all other contestants...

10 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Did I understand correctly that I need to pick whether I want a 20% additional MRCA gain or a 15% additional property gain?

Yes, exactly :pir-wink:  I'm not sure you need to post it here or something (though you could if you like, of course), but just make sure you consistently claim one bonus or the other :grin:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Yes, exactly :pir-wink:  I'm not sure you need to post it here or something (though you could if you like, of course), but just make sure you consistently claim one bonus or the other :grin:

Okay, got it.  I don't really know which one I prefer right now anyways... :pir-grin:

On donderdag 18 mei 2017 at 11:21 AM, Bregir said:

Well, Maxim, personally I would like people to be a bit more critical when commenting on my builds. Of course, it should always be constructive, and not all things to change,but it is nice to have something to work with. Many comments do tend to be focusing on mainly the things to praise. :)

A useful tool for constructive commenting (for me) is to start out with something positive, then some suggestions for improvement, and lastly, some more positive. That helps avoid people being left with the impression that it was all bad, and that people only come to be critical. :) ( It is the same feedback system we used in the army, and it worked well there :) )

This is a very true comment Bregir. I concede that I don't do it always myself, but it's quite handy to receive a comment which not only points out the good things (which you could probably point out yourself. You'd need the community to point out the little things you missed, or could improve next time).

Wait. When did Corrington get an army? :grin:

Congrats to all the winners ! And to all the participants !

That was a great Challenge !

@Garmadon : Do you need me a PM to have my adress to know where to send the prize ? Or is it to be sent to Phred ? 

Just now, Faladrin said:

@Garmadon: Do you need me a PM to have my adress to know where to send the prize ? Or is it to be sent to Phred ? 

Yes, please do shoot a PM with your address to @Phred :wink:  (I know he is busy today, though, so it might take a bit for him to respond).

2 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Yes, please do shoot a PM with your address to @Phred :wink:  (I know he is busy today, though, so it might take a bit for him to respond).

Thank you for the rapid answer !

On 6/14/2017 at 6:46 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

Excellent work Eslandolans! We kicked Mardier (Or Oleon #2) into a previous century!

Please dear sir revoke at once! :laugh:

4 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Oleon's #1 investment, then? :pir_tong2:

What's wrong with you eslandolans these days?!?!?! Can't a nation be friends with another one?!?!?!??