Sign in to follow this  
Jayoheazy

Harry Potter chances?

I've been really interested in acquiring more HP sets seeing how I missed the first runs (was too old and didn't think it was cool). Now that I'm older it's so tempting to spend money on the inflated prices of HP sets on places like eBay and Craigslist. Just curious to see what everyone's opinions is on Lego possible re-releasing a new line of Harry Potter sets. Don't want to blow so much money only to have them create newer bigger and better versions of Hogwarts!

I think the chances are fairly low but not nonexistent. Harry Potter's presence in Dimensions shows at least a little bit of willingness to revisit the franchise - and the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean D2C suggests a willingness to make exclusives even without an accompanying line of regular sets. So, best case scenario is probably a standalone D2C Hogwarts (or, if I had my way, an expanded Diagon Alley) a few years down the line coinciding with one of the Fantastic Beasts movies. :shrug_oh_well: Your best bet for now would probably be piecing one together through Bricklink and your own collection of parts rather than springing for a complete set.

Thanks for the input TB. I actually purchased 4842 a week ago and wanted to expand with Battle of Hogwarts. I thought about BL'ing a few of the sets but i find I spend just as much due to using various stores and shipping rates.

Diagon Alley would be amazing to have. The cheapest I've seen is a used set for about $400... yikes

since there will be a new trilogy about the cursed child storyline,...   i expect a new wave coming,,...  maybe together with some fantastic beasts sets...

11 minutes ago, allstyles said:

since there will be a new trilogy about the cursed child storyline,...   i expect a new wave coming,,...  maybe together with some fantastic beasts sets...

Rowling has said that isn't going to happen. She teeeted it yesterday in response to the rumours.

Buy with fantastic beasts is the possibility of re-release 

I have  been in Florida last month And The HP popularity is quite high 

3 hours ago, Robianco said:

Rowling has said that isn't going to happen. She teeeted it yesterday in response to the rumours.

people can be bought with money,,,... HP is big business....

but if not,...   i am hoping for a fantastic beasts series....

11 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

I think the chances are fairly low but not nonexistent. Harry Potter's presence in Dimensions shows at least a little bit of willingness to revisit the franchise - and the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean D2C suggests a willingness to make exclusives even without an accompanying line of regular sets. So, best case scenario is probably a standalone D2C Hogwarts (or, if I had my way, an expanded Diagon Alley) a few years down the line coinciding with one of the Fantastic Beasts movies. :shrug_oh_well: Your best bet for now would probably be piecing one together through Bricklink and your own collection of parts rather than springing for a complete set.

Yes I think a large D2C set to coincide with one of the new Fantastic Beasts Films would be a good way to go at it. I could see a set based on something in one of the new films (I don't know if Fantastic Beasts though had any really iconic new locations. Its most iconic thing was the setting of New York City in the Jazz Age, and honestly we have a few Lego sets based on New York already.) However, I think a D2C Hogwarts would do very well. I imagine our last Hogwarts from 2011; just up scaled with the same price the Disney Castle had. (but with a figure assortment similar to the previous Hogwarts castle and not the small lot of figures the Disney set came with). There would be some irony if we ever got a large D2C castle, as Hogwarts is the park icon of a theme park which is a rival to Disney World... So go figure! :wink:

We know that the next FB will take place in Europe (and most likely feature Hogwarts) so you never know.

1 hour ago, Sir von Lego said:

There might be a chance for HP theme starting in 2018...

the popularity is still high

Oh, I so hope you're right! Harry Potter theme, Fantastic Beasts 2, or both?

I would love to see more Harry Potter. The new Dimensions(Hermione finally getting her own causal attire) is nice and clear that HP still holds weight to them. I kinda fear that the first HP Dimensions pack may not have sold as well as others did. I'm not sure that many non game users would actually buy it. 

Its also somewhat refreshing to see The Silent Mary, as we haven't had PotC in a few years. Not sure how it helps our chance of a new Hogwarts though. The ship coincides with the movie. Not sure the school would coincide with the current series. 

On 2/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, Vindicare said:

I would love to see more Harry Potter. The new Dimensions(Hermione finally getting her own causal attire) is nice and clear that HP still holds weight to them. I kinda fear that the first HP Dimensions pack may not have sold as well as others did. I'm not sure that many non game users would actually buy it. 

Its also somewhat refreshing to see The Silent Mary, as we haven't had PotC in a few years. Not sure how it helps our chance of a new Hogwarts though. The ship coincides with the movie. Not sure the school would coincide with the current series. 

I don't play the game but I will definitely be getting the new Hermione figure. I didn't get the team pack because it's basically two figures that already existed. I'm definitely up for more Harry Potter though. I recently completed the 2010-2011 wave and every single one of those sets is pretty amazing.

I seriously doubt we'll see a continuation of the Harry Potter theme outside of rare occasions (such as the Dimensions tie-ins). Licensed themes generally don't sustain themselves without a continued influx of new media, and besides Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child (both of which are not specifically aimed at kids and are mostly peripheral to the main Harry Potter story and characters), there's really not any major media releases associated with Harry Potter on the horizon.

Well with the current rumor that Dimensions will be ending after this year, I would hope that Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter would get pushed to full sets again. I'd like to get new Harry Potter Characters and settings, maybe a D2C Hogwarts even, and it would be nice to get more characters from Fantastic Beasts as well.