Sign in to follow this  
Huaojozu

Modular B-Models?

In Technic, most of the sets come with instructions for a B-Model that uses the same parts as the original. People than like to see what they can come up with given the restrictions to make so-called C-Models. Similarly in Creator, we have some 3-in-1 sets that follow the same principle, and Lego is now testing their new Ideas platform by asking people to make a fourth set with the parts.

Have you seen something similar attempted with a Modular? Looking at my collection, it is obvious that the newer modulars follow a slightly different design which makes it strange to line them up on one street with the older ones. I was wondering, whether it would be possible rebuild say the Town Hall or the Green Grocer to make them slightly smaller to fit the generally lower skyline of the new sets (and in case of TH there could be enough pieces to go 48 wide or inside corner) and whether anyone has ever tried.

Everything is possible.

I made a palace cinema B model

And a time ago i made smaller versions of petshop and detectives office

Some have made the corner modulars into non-corner buildings. Heres a great one of Palace Cinema, I think its better than the official set. 

I have wanted to create something using only the bricks in the actual set, but it is near impossible. Now the builds have multiple colors/facades, so there is never enough of one color or detail to create a whole new building. It will always have to be multiple tiny buildings. Just look at Detective Office and Brick Bank. Look at the variety in colors involved. It looks great as the official set, but looks very incoherent if you try to change that.

The older modulars had more substantial builds so you could create other things out of them without as much effort.

Kristel has a alternative Haunted House on her website.

I've been modding the new modulars to be taller for a better match to the originals. I think it would be hard to mod some of the old modulars to be shorter (i.e. Palace Cinema) without making major changes. The scale of Grand Emporium and Pet Shop are already smaller.