31567702364_c3d3e4cea5_z.jpg

"I spy, something... white."

31567714824_6c81e441f3_z.jpg

31567731384_f1d115f8ef_z.jpg

Even though it only appeared in for about one minute in the Ninjago series pilot, I've always thought that this ship was really neat, and it definitely was a lot of fun working on replicating it in the brick!  

A few close-up shots:

32290088291_bfddca314b_z.jpg

32370978666_377bae30b7_z.jpg

32260036272_629962178f_z.jpg

32260048382_bb70fd65ef_z.jpg

A small interior:

32371008946_cb12424cd6_z.jpg

And the ship by itself:

32410270125_318d55bdcf_z.jpg

This ship is found at the very beginning of Pilot Episode 3 (or 2, depending on how it is counted), King of Shadows, and the only purposeful deviation I've made from the original ship itself is that the bottom is reddish brown here instead of dark brown, since that was, well, essentially impossible given my bricks!  This is also a warm-up to the theme as Kai and I plan to do a large-ish Ninjago collab shortly.

Credit goes to Grant Davis and Eli Willsea for the water technique!  

A last couple of shots:

32262560122_6afce9efab_z.jpg

31567688854_52b9092098_z.jpg

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome! :classic:

Nice! Is the build hollow below the deck?

I also like how you put the weapons in each corner!

Edited by gamejutzu

6 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Agreed,  the four weapons at the four corners are a great accent for the base and the water effect works really well.

The sails are awesome and the hull expertly done.  It is super great that you have done this.  I am very impressed!

I am always pleased to see Ninjago MOCs of such high quality; beautiful work! I love the flow throughout the model, mainly by virtue of the large golden katana and the curves of the deck. The spine that carries through is icing on the cake! :wub::thumbup::thumbup:

On 1/20/2017 at 0:07 PM, gamejutzu said:

Nice! Is the build hollow below the deck?

Only beneath the mainmast where there's a bit of an interior - under the bow is essentially solid, but the stern is about half and half, but too messy for an interior, unfortunately.  Thanks!

On 1/20/2017 at 6:55 PM, LegoLeroy said:

Agreed,  the four weapons at the four corners are a great accent for the base and the water effect works really well.

The sails are awesome and the hull expertly done.  It is super great that you have done this.  I am very impressed!

Thanks, I really like that water technique as well! :grin:  Thank you, it was a lot of fun to build! :classic:

15 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I am always pleased to see Ninjago MOCs of such high quality; beautiful work! I love the flow throughout the model, mainly by virtue of the large golden katana and the curves of the deck. The spine that carries through is icing on the cake! :wub::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot, Exetrius, glad you like it!  Yes, I do agree that Ninjago has a lot of potential for some awesome builds, but unfortunately it's a rather under-MOCed theme, if quite popular generally.  That dragon spine was one of my favorite details about the original as well! :pir-sweet:

4 hours ago, Lazer said:

Fantastic! Congrats!

Thanks mate! :wink:

Great build! It's a very good likeness of the ship from that pilot episode, I think. I'm particularly impressed with the brick-built hull, the railings towards the stern, and the elaborate rigging! One aspect that I think could be improved is how crinkly the blue sides become as they approach the bow. I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is, but perhaps some curved slopes attached sideways (like on the Imperial Flagship set) might help smooth that area out. But it doesn't detract too much from the impressiveness of the overall build.

Thinking about this boat's role in the show, I wonder whether it was in Sensei Wu's possession or whether he and the ninja chartered it to reach the ice fortress. I'm inclined to think the latter, since other than the monastery which he inherited from his father, Wu didn't seem to have too much in the way of material possessions at this point in the show, and it would be a bit odd for him to own a boat this big when he didn't live near water.

With your skill at shipbuilding, it would be cool if you someday looked into building one of the paddleboats from Ninjago seasons 4 and 5!

On 1/27/2017 at 0:35 PM, Aanchir said:

Great build! It's a very good likeness of the ship from that pilot episode, I think. I'm particularly impressed with the brick-built hull, the railings towards the stern, and the elaborate rigging! One aspect that I think could be improved is how crinkly the blue sides become as they approach the bow. I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is, but perhaps some curved slopes attached sideways (like on the Imperial Flagship set) might help smooth that area out. But it doesn't detract too much from the impressiveness of the overall build.

Thinking about this boat's role in the show, I wonder whether it was in Sensei Wu's possession or whether he and the ninja chartered it to reach the ice fortress. I'm inclined to think the latter, since other than the monastery which he inherited from his father, Wu didn't seem to have too much in the way of material possessions at this point in the show, and it would be a bit odd for him to own a boat this big when he didn't live near water.

With your skill at shipbuilding, it would be cool if you someday looked into building one of the paddleboats from Ninjago seasons 4 and 5!

Thanks a lot, Aanchir!  Rigging is thankfully getting easier and easier as I keep it up and I hope it'll keep heading that way, and brick-built hulls are a lot of fun and add so much versatility to ships as well!  I do agree about the blue strip up near the bow and that was my one nagging complaint while building it - but the fact is that blue (at least for me! :grin:) is a rather limited color, so I just pretty much had to do the best with the limited slopes I had (otherwise I would likely have continued the smoother slope-based bow from the brown on up, or taken your advice of copying the IFS's design).  

That is a curious question which I hadn't thought of much while I was building this, but I was somehow under the impression that it belonged to him (he does have a tendency to be able to pull whatever they need out of thin air, and with the way they seemed to leave it stranded, I'd hope it wasn't just rented :laugh:).  And as to the paddleboat/ferry, yes, I've had my eye on that one too!  We'll see if I ever get the chance to build it!