Lowa

Train - Extended Track System

Our first three types of custom train tracks are ready and available in our Bricklink store.  The goal is to make an extended track system for LEGO trains so you have a much higher flexibility in building your layout; just like we did for the monorail.  Let us know if there are any other types of track you would like to have...

4dbrix-lego-train-cross-track-1.jpg  4dbrix-lego-train-half-straight-track-1.    4dbrix-lego-train-quarter-straight-track  

FYI: the tracks are printed with a custom developed Dark Blush Gray abs filament so that our tracks match the color of the LEGO RC tracks: the cross track below is 3D printed, the straight track below is a genuine LEGO track.

4dbrix-lego-train-cross-track-2.jpg

2 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

please please please do short switches next!

We are working on switches.  I'm not sure what you mean with 'short' switches.  We're planning to release a switch with the footprint shown below.  It could be used in three different ways:

• with a 'turn back' adapter you can use it for a parallel track (like a PF switch)
  • with a 'curve' adapter you can use it in a continuous curve
  • or connect two switches and make a single cross-over

Is this what you're talking about ?

train-switch-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Lowa said:

We are working on switches.  I'm not sure what you mean with 'short' switches.  We're planning to release a switch with the footprint shown below.  It could be used in three different ways:

• with a 'turn back' adapter you can use it for a parallel track (like a PF switch)

train-switch-1.jpg

Yes exactly! Is the straight portion 32 Studs long making a cross over 48 total studs?

This seems to me to be a remake of the Lego switch?  Is the turnout radi different than what they use? I.e. R40

I will say I do have to cut the Lego switches to make the crossover but they are ballasted so there are no connection issues.

16 hours ago, Lowa said:

4dbrix-lego-train-cross-track-1.jpg  

Something that bothered me with the original 9V crossings is that when the train comes out of a bend the flange sometimes hits the crossing rail in the center. It's not a major problem, as the trains never derail but it makes a clicking noise and the train jumps around. Maybe you can fix this issue if you added little guiding-rails that slope outwards really slowly to make sure the flange clears the crossing rail without jumping or getting jerked to the side so suddenly. 

4 hours ago, pirzyk said:

This seems to me to be a remake of the Lego switch?  Is the turnout radi different than what they use? I.e. R40

I will say I do have to cut the Lego switches to make the crossover but they are ballasted so there are no connection issues.

These seem to be a remake of the Lego switches but without the reverse curve. The Lego switches are the switch plus the dark grey piece shown in the first of the three configurations. In order to do either of the second two arrangements, the switch needs to be cut. 

On 1/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, McWaffel said:

Something that bothered me with the original 9V crossings is that when the train comes out of a bend the flange sometimes hits the crossing rail in the center. It's not a major problem, as the trains never derail but it makes a clicking noise and the train jumps around. Maybe you can fix this issue if you added little guiding-rails that slope outwards really slowly to make sure the flange clears the crossing rail without jumping or getting jerked to the side so suddenly. 

Thank you for the feedback, this is very useful to know !

I'll do the test with a cross just behind a curve.  I already did a quick verification of our cross with a set of LEGO train wheel and there's not enough play to hit the crossing rail, so I guess we're good.  Maybe that was a 'design flaw' in the 9V track.  I did notice that that gaps between the crossing tracks in the PF switches are 1mm wider than the gaps in the 9V switches, that is clearly an intended modification of the switch.  Maybe the gap in the 9V cross was slightly too tight...  I cannot verify that because I don't have a 9V cross track.  But we'll check it on our cross and let you know...

On 1/20/2017 at 1:10 PM, CrispyBassist said:

These seem to be a remake of the Lego switches but without the reverse curve. The Lego switches are the switch plus the dark grey piece shown in the first of the three configurations. In order to do either of the second two arrangements, the switch needs to be cut. 

Thank you, I could not have explained it better...

Could you do this bit fix the design flaw that if you try to leave it in the centre position, trains will likely derail, so it makes it awkward to run to trains side by side on parallel tracks.

d4e4o5g414m4r5g5m444a4f446o2o4c4z5o4p59406u223c46303y3y2r2x2x223b4r2w234t2x2w2n2b4p4o5l2a4u264x3x254p2.jpg

On 1/19/2017 at 10:15 PM, Lowa said:

train-switch-1.jpg

This is really great.  These switches are more in line with how traditional O-scale train systems (Lionel, MTH, etc.) construct the curved portion.  The "curve adapter you can use with a continuous curve" will be very helpful in layout geometry.

Can you make wide radius track?  There is another third party company that makes wide radius track, but competition would be a good thing.

And thank you for selling on Bricklink.  That makes purchasing easier.

On 1/19/2017 at 7:12 PM, Lowa said:

Our first three types of custom train tracks are ready and available in our Bricklink store.  The goal is to make an extended track system for LEGO trains so you have a much higher flexibility in building your layout; just like we did for the monorail.  Let us know if there are any other types of track you would like to have...

4dbrix-lego-train-cross-track-1.jpg  4dbrix-lego-train-half-straight-track-1.    4dbrix-lego-train-quarter-straight-track  

These look amazing! Will be ordering 1/2 and 1/4 straights (would also order Crossover, but don't have room to add)

As for other track pieces, maybe a 45-degree crossover?

On 1/19/2017 at 9:52 PM, supertruper1988 said:

please please please do short switches next!

We went for something slightly more ambitious...  for details go to the tread below:

single-crossover_sm.jpg