Kim-Kwang-Seok

Phantom II MOD UPDATE II

I thought the set is very inaccurate to the "real ship" so I changed it quite a bit. These are just some quick pictues taken with a bad camera.

- cockpit section now fits 2 figures
- most light grey colours are now either white or dark grey
- I put the droid in the middle since I prefer both sides of the "middle dark grey" part to look symmetrical. 
- most important to me were the white extensions on each side of the cockpit. The difference between cockpit & rear part in width was very inaccurate.
- at some point I'm gonna change the dark grey section with some kind of "tube" build, but for now ths works for me.
8q7TRTy.jpg

DF48i8A.jpg

- The original set just left the engines out. I tried to recreate them in the most accurate way.
- The ship on the whole isn't nearly as curvy as it should be, but it's hard to get the "blockiness" away without changing the whole concept, making it much bigger, or leaving the "legs" out.
- Unfortunately all my pictures of the interior where way to dark to let you see much. If you take all the overstructure & the flick meachanism out you get soooo much more space. Now even big figures can fit in while standing up. About 4 figures can squeeze in, though it's more convenient for just 2 :wink:

ULyR0kM.jpg

If you have any suggestions on how to improve - feel free to comment! Better pictures will come.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

3 hours ago, starwars4ever said:

This looks great!!!! Just wish it was available in the US. :hmpf_bad:

It will be soon :wink:

Great MODs, do I see Sabine in the cockpit? :wink: but why did you swap chopper out for another droid? 

6 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Great MODs, do I see Sabine in the cockpit? :wink: but why did you swap chopper out for another droid? 

Good spot! My costume Sabine is piloting while  Ezra watches behind her :wink:
I felt like the red Astromech matched the colours of the ship better. Chopper will probably kill it out of jealousy :devil:

2 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Great modifications, I like the choice of cockpit!

Thanks - I also want to swap out the "windshield" piece with this one:
http://brickset.com/parts/4615860
...but I think think the back would become to small in comparison.
Any ideas for another windshield piece?

Just now, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Thanks - I also want to swap out the "windshield" piece with this one:

http://brickset.com/parts/4615860
...but I think think the back would become to small in comparison.
Any ideas for another windshield piece?

Just what I was thinking of! :laugh:

Would work well imo. However, it might be a bit oversized.

6 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

My costume Sabine is piloting while Ezra watches her behind :wink:I

...couldn't resist... the path to the dark side! :devil:

Nice mod, I also tried to mod Phantom 2, especially the fin which is much bigger in universe. But I after some attempts to change the fin I realized it had to be rebuild from the ground up, so I gave up on that idea and decided to just adjust astromech socket to the middle. Honestly I'm sad that 2010 version had much better proportions overall while having roughly the same piece count. And technically since new Phantom is the same ship as 2010 Separatist Shuttle I'm even more surprised that newer version is kinda worse than previous. 

33 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Nice mod, I also tried to mod Phantom 2, especially the fin which is much bigger in universe. But I after some attempts to change the fin I realized it had to be rebuild from the ground up, so I gave up on that idea and decided to just adjust astromech socket to the middle. Honestly I'm sad that 2010 version had much better proportions overall while having roughly the same piece count. And technically since new Phantom is the same ship as 2010 Separatist Shuttle I'm even more surprised that newer version is kinda worse than previous. 

I'm confused as to why everyone is trying to make the fin taller and move the astromech to the middle.  The astromech is supposed to be on the side, and the fin is almost exactly the right height from what I can tell.

latest?cb=20161107223933

6 hours ago, H_Solo said:

...couldn't resist... the path to the dark side! :devil:

Oh god no.

5 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

I'm confused as to why everyone is trying to make the fin taller and move the astromech to the middle.  The astromech is supposed to be on the side, and the fin is almost exactly the right height from what I can tell.

<snip>

I know it's not accurate, but I just feel the astromech looks better in the centre. The main problem with the LEGO version of the ship is its lack of the curvature towards the fin that the real one has. Unfortunately that is incredibly hard to achieve without new moulded pieces.

Edited by VaderFan2187

Allright, no better camera, but a few more pictures -
- improved the interior a bit & changed out a few colours
- no droid
- still very unhappy with the "feet"/landing gear. Any ideas?

mYv4IFe.jpg
- small detail, but I changed out the 2x2 white bricks with grey ones on each side of the transition between the grey middle part & the rear part. It's more accurate, but does it look better?!

kqVeSu6.jpg

- still shocked how much interior you get, once you pull pieces off.
- that white technic piece bugs me - one that's two studs shorter would be ideal

HH8UUX9.jpg

"I have the dark saber now - wanna practice while Chopper watches?"

4Ni7epw.jpg
better pictures - open space is nicely covered

7 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

That hair looks great on Wolfpack Ezra

A comment from the masterbuilder himself. *oh2*
Watch out - within the next weeks I'm gonna start posting my real MOD's: A heavily modified imperial fleet.
Ok it's just a few ships :innocent2: ...but I improved them as much as you could, without changing the complete concept.

That hairpiece on Sabine is from the female robot in the CMF Series 16.  But, where did you get the arms from?

Edited by JPN366

I absolutely love the new updates especially around the cockpit and the dark blue grey middle segment. 

One thing I do want to figure out though is how feasible moving the white inverted arch back one stud so the middle segment can be completely dark blue grey. As it is right in the original model that white inverted arch is one stud forward of the back half of the ship.