Sign in to follow this  
woody64

Austrian Army during Napoleonic wars

I was sure that I've already shared it on weekend, but seems that it was lost ...

I've published a book with a complete set of table about the Austrian army during Napoleonic wars.

Base for that were the decal set I started years ago on the base of Mosana's designs. They get a complete relaunch with all the necessary changes to be as historical accurate as possible representing the different Austrian Units. See here the decals used for the Austrian Landwehr and partly a s base also for other units:

.31057277173_605924ccbd.jpg

The 2nd topic were all the custom hats and helmets for the Napoleonic times where the first item ever done in the 3d printing technology was started here after a longer discussion how the rare shakos can be recreated with other means.

The 3rd part were all the renders I can do now with LDD, LDD2povray, stl2povray and povray. During Christmas I recoded a bigger part so that doing these tabels with figures in diferent positions can be done more easily. See one of the results here (Hungarian insurrectio troops):

31858808512_92a41607d2_z.jpg

Finally I have added some textual clue mainly referencing some historical or military explanations (with references to the text in Wikipaedia) resulting now in the book published by tredition.de ....

32285054245_5756528260.jpg

Since a lot of topics and techniques created for this book were first discussed here I want to thank all the member which have contributed with their ideas ...

Woody64

Edited by woody64
internet line broken

I'm also trying to do a similar project with other nationality of the troops, but i am sceptical about using custom printings. I use only normal Lego torsos. I don't think using printings is realy that bad, but in my opinion it goes more towards custom modeling then Lego building.

8 hours ago, woody64 said:

I was sure that I've already shared it on weekend, but seems that it was lost ...

I've published a book with a complete set of table about the Austrian army during Napoleonic wars.

Base for that were the decal set I started years ago on the base of Mosana's designs. They get a complete relaunch with all the necessary changes to be as historical accurate as possible representing the different Austrian Units. See here the decals used for the Austrian Landwehr and partly a s base also for other units:

.31057277173_605924ccbd.jpg

The 2nd topic were all the custom hats and helmets for the Napoleonic times where the first item ever done in the 3d printing technology was started here after a longer discussion how the rare shakos can be recreated with other means.

The 3rd part were all the renders I can do now with LDD, LDD2povray, stl2povray and povray. During Christmas I recoded a bigger part so that doing these tabels with figures in diferent positions can be done more easily. See one of the results here (Hungarian insurrectio troops):

31858808512_92a41607d2_z.jpg

Finally I have added some textual clue mainly referencing some historical or military explanations (with references to the text in Wikipaedia) resulting now in the book published by tredition.de ....

32285054245_5756528260.jpg

Since a lot of topics and techniques created for this book were first discussed here I want to thank all the member which have contributed with their ideas ...

Woody64

Do you think you would ever sell them if you make them into physical form?

3 hours ago, azog said:

Don't think if  I will ever do them in real, if I would sell them and if anybody is interested in ...

- Maybe Austrians are not the best one to start with but it was a boy dream 40 years ago to make a reference book for Napoleonic Austrians. The book generated now is a little bit different then thought years ago but who cares ...
And If there would be a wargaming community using Lego there were some buyers  (because there you can find tons of Austrian troops)

- @dzidek1983: Yes I know the different points of view between modelling and building. For me using normal ones is not the same fun as designing custom plates with some historical accuracy. But that's left to the personal taste. :)
Also, none of the Minifigs is wearing a standard Lego hat. They all have custom ones from the shop. There I have sold now more then 10.000 items. (not much for Lego standard pieces but a lot for customs printed on demand) .... also a very different point for customizers and purists :)

Woody64

Edited by woody64

6 hours ago, azog said:

... also there were already some creations around,showing parts.

In that picture I've tried a newer service from sculpteo which has resulted in the best 3d printed surface seen so far:

30303069515_83695cca1d_z.jpg

Edited by woody64

Those minifigures looks pretty good! Well done with that 3D printing

On 18.1.2017 at 5:32 PM, azog said:

Those minifigures looks pretty good! Well done with that 3D printing

Only some days ago, Sculpteo has announced that their smoothing beautifier is available also in black. If ordered some and I'm looking forward how these items look with this new finish ..

Woody64

Edited by woody64

@woody64, these look fantastic. I don't usually go for custom minifigs, but these are really nice. Your overall idea sounds ambitious, but I support you all the way whenever true history is involved - especially Age of Sail or Napoleonic, like these soldiers. Keep it up!

Only to bring that once more to the younger audience of this forum. The first Item was done as answer to a discussion here for creating a seldom part. After month of research i could present the first print here. Before i had no idea about 3d printing. So the forum  here was the  incubator for a series of more then 150 Historic items.

Edited by woody64

Yesterday I got my first batch from steindrucker.com ....
The prints were really pretty!!

Woody64

33250748896_747d232e17_c.jpg