Sign in to follow this  
Tezclatipoca

Chal V Cat A : Alliance side : A Courier in the air

Challenge V, Category A, Alliance Side : A Courier in the air

In the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia, the activity of the Drow Army increased those past months and Falahuas suffered more than ever the multiple raids they launched through all the Principality.

Ther where no safe roads now and that was difficult to send a horse courier by those difficult times.

The little group of The Spire minions this ambush team was composed knew perfectly those facts. They where scattered along the northern road of Falahuas waiting to intercept the courier their spies had announced.

The road was recently re-claimed by This stupid Elf Princess called Walaehria but she never knew the Drow were still there and would claim soon the entire Principality for them ! How stupid she was ! Thought Arsthalas, the leader of the Drow troups. Even with the re-building of outposts and with the help of other Avalonian Counties like Drondil did, the Principality would never find peace and safety as long as him and his guys could pillage at will !

He had prepared every part of the ambush. He was ready !

His Drow troups had to be a bit scatered along the road from the both sides and be dissimulated within the lush forest that covers all this part of the hilly north of Falahuas. Then, when a rider would show, they would jumped out of their hidings in order to prevent him to turn back. The front group would slay down the horse and capture the rider in order to keep him alive and then torture him to obtain the crucial informations he had to deliver.

Yes ! Arsthalas plan was perfect !

Well... It was... Until he discovered with fear the rider wasn't by horse ! He was a Griffon rider !

32343194425_ac6379eee6_b.jpg

He hadn't the time to raise his weapon that the sharp spear point of the elf rider cut him in half while the fearsome half eagle/half lion beast used its dreadful claws to tear apart his best men ! In no time there were no Drow left alive along the road.

31966058650_6b46891264_b.jpg

Ethaihlin, the elf rider the Princess chose for that mission, was not a stupid courier, and he had guessed well !

The Drow knew his mission was to deliver a crucial information from the Capital ! They clearly had spies everywhere now. The Spire was stronger than ever !

But hopefully he trusted his mount and his bravery to discourage any attempt to stop him !

His message was cristal clear :

"The Heir of Cedrica's Throne is back and all the people of the Alliance side should rise the arms and side with him to stop Ravaage ! The Black Spire can be defeated !"

Falahuas will answer to the King's Heir call !

Hope you'll like my entry for this Challenge. Any comment or criticism is welcome. And I hope the tail of the Griffon is considered as a reasonable overhanging. If, not, tell me and I will rework my composition to make it fit in the 16*16 base.

And here is a bonus picture of the Griffon rider alone :

Edited by Faladrin

Wow... that is an awesome beast.
Love the idea of using Lego Friends Elven hair for your fig! 

Very nice build, as LJ said the haid is probably the best part of the MOC!

For one reason or another it also reminds me of the Ninjago sets...

2 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Great work with the Griffon's head :thumbup: Nice posing of the rider on him, and excellent little landscape too :classic:

Thanks a lot. The head was the first thing I worked on when it popped in my mind that an elf rider would ride a griffon. And I am very happy to see how it turned. The posing of the rider was something I wanted to use for some time (primarily on a horse) but I never had the occasion to do it in a MOC.

2 hours ago, narbilu said:

Wow... that is an awesome beast.
Love the idea of using Lego Friends Elven hair for your fig! 

Thanks ! Yes I plead guilty for having "borrowed" the elven mini doll hair to my daughter. :laugh:

1 hour ago, TitusV said:

Very nice build, as LJ said the haid is probably the best part of the MOC!

For one reason or another it also reminds me of the Ninjago sets...

Thank you guy ! It can be related to the dragon aspects of the Ninjago sets ! :grin:

46 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

Very nice! The griffon looks really cool!

Thank you very much ! I am happy you like it !

13 hours ago, Blufiji said:

The griffon looks very animated and organic, great use of parts, particularly on the legs.

Thank you !

I tryed to hide most of the grey ball joints I used, in particular for the neck of the griffon and I found out that the forward members needed to be thin and strong and also poseable, so I chose multiple articulation points and made them mainly by using clips.

With this, the Griffon is really organic and is really poseable. I made all the articulations I could do; it has mobile shoulder in 2 plans, elbows, ankles and the opening/ closing claws. It also has a double ball joint in the neck (head turning nearly 360° if you remove the chain) and the legs are made with ball joints to feature the hips, knees and ankles too. Finally the wings are made with a mix off ball joints and clips I managed to hide behind some gold wings I have from the 71011 Flying Warrior minifig.

So that's nearly 20 articulations or joints I have built on this Griffon. It is a waaaaaay better beast than my previous one I think (remember my old frost dragon in the Algus challenge last year) :laugh:

Thank you again !

Amazing griffon and outstanding terrain! I especially really like the detail on the griffons head, brings the beast to life. 

On 19/01/2017 at 1:02 AM, Merc4Hire said:

Amazing griffon and outstanding terrain! I especially really like the detail on the griffons head, brings the beast to life. 

Thank you !

The head, like I said before was the first thing i made for the griffon. It took me some time and some tries and errors to completed it but it worth it !

15 hours ago, ZCerberus said:

Nice entry!

Thank you very much !

Very nice! I like how you popped off the rider's legs and put them on the side to give the illusion of him riding astride the griffin's back. My main complaint is that the legs seem too long and spindly, especially in relation to the size of the wings. But it is a nice brick-built beastie. Good work!

On 22/01/2017 at 0:58 AM, Gideon said:

Nice creature and overall scene :)

Thank you !

On 22/01/2017 at 7:29 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very nice! I like how you popped off the rider's legs and put them on the side to give the illusion of him riding astride the griffin's back. My main complaint is that the legs seem too long and spindly, especially in relation to the size of the wings. But it is a nice brick-built beastie. Good work!

Thanks ! It was an idea I wanted to do but on horse initially. But in the Griffon it appears quite satisfying, even if the legs seem a bit too long like you are remarking.

5 hours ago, Mpyromaxos said:

Nice work with the Griffon! :sweet:

Thank you ! What else than a Griffon for an elvish rider ?

3 hours ago, Faladrin said:

even if the legs seem a bit too long like you are remarking.

Haha, I was actually talking about the griffon's legs at that point; I should have phrased it less ambiguously!

The rider's legs might seem too long (but better in terms of real human proportions, probably), but not spindly. 

Awesome work, I always enjoy seeing people make brick-build creatures. As others have said the head design is particularly good and effective, I do have to agree that some of the proportions are a bit off but not by much.

On 25 janvier 2017 at 0:25 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Haha, I was actually talking about the griffon's legs at that point; I should have phrased it less ambiguously!

The rider's legs might seem too long (but better in terms of real human proportions, probably), but not spindly. 

Ha ! Ok ! My bad, I didn't got it ! :grin: 

9 hours ago, Isundir said:

Awesome work, I always enjoy seeing people make brick-build creatures. As others have said the head design is particularly good and effective, I do have to agree that some of the proportions are a bit off but not by much.

Thank you ! Your brick built creature is a good one too !

I have to agree with you that some proportions seem a bit off. I'Ve made long arms with big claws, perhaps a bit too big, and short wings. I wanted the Griffon really scary from its face, so I made very big claws and positioned it to make the illusion of a bigger beast from the front. It is not so disproportionated for real, the photography was made to accentuate this impression.

Great mount Faldarin! The head with the tooth plates for eyes work really well, but the upper legs could've been a tad thicker in my opinion.

Wonderful griffon and it is always great to see the Spire sustaining heavy losses :sweet: Nice little landscape to showcase your creature as well.

On 27/01/2017 at 0:35 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Great mount Faldarin! The head with the tooth plates for eyes work really well, but the upper legs could've been a tad thicker in my opinion.

Thank you very much !

On 27/01/2017 at 2:05 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Wonderful griffon and it is always great to see the Spire sustaining heavy losses :sweet: Nice little landscape to showcase your creature as well.

Thank you ! Yes seing Spire minions being torn into pieces by heavy beasts is always fun :laugh::tongue: and that scenette helped me to better my rockwork too.

Cool scene and story, very action-packed! Love the griffin, great work. Glad to see the Drow getting their just dessert!

36 minutes ago, MassEditor said:

Cool scene and story, very action-packed! Love the griffin, great work. Glad to see the Drow getting their just dessert!

Thank you very much ! Glad you like ! Indeed, a good Drow is a dead Drow ! :laugh: