Sign in to follow this  
BMW

Brickworld 2017 Train Collaborative

A couple of the train enthusiasts have been talking about pulling together a special collaborative at Brickworld 2017 this June (thanks Eliot for initiating this).

The proposal is to build a 25' x 50' Classic Lego Train Layout featuring only catalogued sets, trains, and minimal scenery - just like in the classic train catalogs!  This will be built on the floor with colored paper underneath and stanchions around the outside.  Many individual loops of track will operate simultaneous divided into the 4 areas: 4.5v, 12v, 9v, and RC/PF with the loops for each system spelling out a letter: L-E-G-O.  Trains from each vintage run on their corresponding area.  Along the tracks we place the various sets: train stations, grade crossings, freight depots, etc. appropriate to each system.  We can even throw in some monorails and wooden trains.  Running around the entire layout are a couple loops of ME wide radius track with fan-designed trains.  And on the corners we can place large informational cards describing the history of Lego trains to inform the public.

To start we are looking to socialize this and get feedback.  So everyone please let us know your thoughts.  Also, we need coordinators to own each area / letter.  We are thinking of two people for each area who will design the loops, and coordinate assembly and disassembly of their area at the show.

Just to get an idea of the scale, the proposed layout as shown requires 2080 track elements total with each area / letter requiring between 250 and 450 sections of track.  Obviously the amount of track used will depend on how many people bring what.  But if we only outline each area / letter and skip all the interior loops, then the minimum track needed drops to between 125 and 175 for each area / letter.  Once BW17 registration is further along we will email all registered attendees to solicit participation.

Sounds good?  Well, probably not if it just winds up being a couple people.  But if we can get dozens of contributors then everyone only has to bring a little bit.  We will work out logistics for setup, take down, and marking track, etc. so everything gets back to its original owners.  So if you plan to be at Brickworld 2017, please consider joining us!

Thoughts?  

- BMW

Detailed image: 

Brickworld 2017 Train Collaborative Proposal

Great idea! Unfortunately I can not help because I am over the pond at the other side and I even won't be able to visit Brickworld this year.

For the grey era layout I would suggest some trains and buildings from #7777.

Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures! 

Holger

I plan on attending this year, and I wouldn't mind joining in on this, but I have a question.

What about modified trains? I run a normal Emerald Night but it has another car modified into an observation car.

Sounds cool, but alas, I have almost no stock vintage trains. The ones I do have have had many of their essentials stolen (wheels.... Couplings.... Windows).

My buddy and I likely have enough trains and track to handle the 9V section, and we're local to the area, so it won't be a big deal for us to get everything there.  We're missing a couple sets here and there, but we didn't pirate the trains like other sets, so they're still built as they were from 25 years ago.  We have a few buildings from then, but overall are pretty light in that regard.

One point of note, there was a 90° cross for 9V, and I think it should be included somewhere in the layout as well.  Maybe the loop at the top of the "G"?

On 1/16/2017 at 2:10 PM, storms26 said:

What about modified trains? I run a normal Emerald Night but it has another car modified into an observation car.

Certainly there will be custom MOCs and modified sets.  The outside loops are all MOC trains and buildings.  And modified sets and MOCs could run on the historic loops as long as they fit in.

I think this would be great. Count me in. I have a few of the old 4.5 sets. I am already registered, so I will see you there.

Todd

Edited by toddthuma

Update: A big thanks to everyone who has voiced support for this exhibit so far. Enough people have come forward that we could make this happen. However, we are still negotiating the details with Bryan B. so stay tuned.

I've updated the original proposed plan to Version 2 based on feedback so far.  Other ideas - please speak up :-)

Several people have requested more MOCs so now MOCs (both trains and buildings) are now permitted anywhere on the layout.  But If they are inside one of the historical loops then they need to reflect the building style and elements of that system / time period.  For example, a customized Emerald Knight and carset would fit in nicely.

Someone suggested we could do "before" (stock set) and "updated" versions of iconic sets like the #4554-1 Yellow 9v Train Station, #7722 Battery Steam Cargo Train, and #4558-1, etc.  We really want to attract participation from people who are town builders but perhaps casual / lite train builders.  So custom buildings and cars, trucks could be welcome too.

Other ideas you can think of?

BW17 Nostalgia Train Collaborative - Updated Idea

- The background color is now green.  Which do you like better, RED or GREEN ? (red is the company logo but green looks like grass and easier on the eyes)

- There are now three ME outside loops with lots of sidings.  This is where the latest and greatest fan-based MOCs are.  PF 8-wide Big-Boys hauling 15' freight trains, modern train station, etc.

- The "50 years of ..." sign at the bottom is made from 15"x15" baseplates.  As are the system signs.  The large "50" is the upper left is made from 5"x10"  buildings... its an idea while its "YEARS" are made from vehicles lined up to spell "YEARS".

BW17 Nostalgia Train Collab - Concept Art

- This perspective view shows how the layout would look at floor level.  Who won't want to run to the side to see the big L-E-G-O and count the number of trains running !

12v Train Catalog Example

- This shows the classic Lego Train Catalog look that the Nostalgia Train Collaborative layout will try to capture.  Simple paper background with trees placed around the tracks.  It is inexpensive and places the focus on the trains and structures.  

Edited by BMW