Sign in to follow this  
Grover

Question of Building

I am curious how everyone builds and what you do with your models, so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1. Do you write out directions, draw sketches, or plan your builds before you start, or just jump in and see what comes out?  Maybe some combination?

2. Do you keep your builds together once you're done or take them apart?  If you take them apart, how long do you let them stay together before you take them apart?

As for myself:

1. I usually gather an idea together in my head, sometimes writing down the larger points, and then build.  I have, however, actually sketched out entire footprints on graph paper before when I am working on a really large piece.

2. If I'm building for a contest, I'll tear the build apart as soon as I have pictures I'm happy with and the build is in.  If it's something that I want for later stories, such as a vehicle or building, I tend to keep it together.  If it's part of a larger theme, or a huge project I've been working on, I may leave the pieces in there for good.  If it really is a MOC that I want to keep, I try to build it out of pieces that are not part of other sets that I would like to build again.

Is this forum only for builds?  If so, can one of the moderators please delete this?  I thought we could put threads in here other than MOCs, but if not, my apologies.  I would have asked this in the larger forums, but it's really the answers from the GoH folks that I am interested in.

1. I usually just plan my builds in my head. With a  larger build, or something I'm having troubling imagining, I will sketch out the build layout on paper, or even with some plates.

2. Builds are always taken apart so I can use the parts for new creations, if it's something I really like/put extra work into, it stays together a little longer.

I'll chime in too - 1. Well, it really kind of depends what I'm building for... if it's a contest, or if I'm working to further a storyline, I'll usually have an idea in my head.  But the final build doesn't always look too similar to my initial mental image!  I will do a sketch every now and then but I'm no good at drawing so I usually don't bother.  For larger creations I do like SK does and use plates to get the rough idea of the layout after building the border or base.  But every now and then I'll just start putting bricks together and see what happens.  So really, a combination of methods!

2. I usually take things apart just as soon as I can make the time - often the same day of photography.  Some creations stay intact a little longer - usually ones that I put a lot of time into or really liked.  But even those generally succumb eventually.  I do have a few smaller creations or parts of creations here and there that I add to whenever I build something that I really like and that doesn't use too many very useful pieces, but every now and then I'll go over them and get rid of a couple and dust the rest. :tongue:  I don't have either the space or the parts to keep many MOCs lying around.  Even the ones I do keep often spend days in a crumbled state as I "borrow" pieces from them for whatever current project I'm working on!

19 hours ago, Grover said:

Is this forum only for builds?  If so, can one of the moderators please delete this?  I thought we could put threads in here other than MOCs, but if not, my apologies.  I would have asked this in the larger forums, but it's really the answers from the GoH folks that I am interested in.

Not at all, but if everyone starts a topic for every question they have it would become a mess in here. So like Windusky said, there's the new member topic where all the members are happy to help you. Like soccerkid and Kai already did in here!:wink:

(Locked)