Guy K. Wyndzon sauntered along his waterside boardwalk, as he liked to do whenever he had difficult matters – state or personal – to think over.  To be sure, Uncle had often slandered the walk as a “boredwalk,” but that was because he didn’t believe in meditation.  To Guy’s Uncle, thinking while walking was synonymous with daydreaming.

Perhaps, in Guy’s case, Uncle wasn’t entirely wrong.  At all events, if Guy had really been as intent upon state matters as he liked to claim, he probably wouldn’t have been so easily distracted when a loose sheet of paper blew across his path.

As it was, he ran at it, jumped, caught it – missed!  It fluttered down towards the water – Guy made a desperate lunge – just then a breath of air swept by, spinning the paper around tantalizingly.  Another jump – caught it this time!

31358876853_49173c5709.jpg

“What is this, anyhow?” Guy muttered to himself.  “Probably an old copy of the King’s Port Advertiser – trashy old Marderian propaganda… hey, wait…”  Guy stared intently at the piece of paper as his heart began to race.  This was… it couldn’t be… but it was!  The famed treasure map of Captain Booya!

32169082685_66584dc69c.jpg

Captain Booya, for the curious among my woefully ignorant twenty-first century readers, had been a notorious pirate of the Brick Seas.  All sorts of villainous deeds possible and impossible were ascribed to him: he had raided Terreli, and left large portions of the city in ashes; he had slain the great Sea Kraken, and his crew had lived off its flesh for a full ten years; he had discovered a far off island, and buried a tremendous booty there.  Then, suddenly, some sixty-odd years ago, he had disappeared.  Not a trace of him remained.  Back in the day, the vulgar people thought he had sailed right off the edge of the earth.  But since it was now common knowledge that the earth was round, most people supposed he had sunk in an unusually heavy storm.

Thirty years after Captain Booya had disappeared, an old marooned sailor of his was rescued.  He had been left behind by the pirate Captain, he said, because he had, out of sheer curiosity, dogged the Captain’s steps one night on shore and caught him in the very act of handing a detailed map to a young lady.  The sailor gave a vivid description of her: slightly curly black hair, dark eyes, tall, etc.  And so the gossips throughout the Brick Seas quizzed any acquaintance matching the description in any degree, which was rather ridiculous, since thirty years later the odds were she had grey hair or was dead.  At any rate, neither map nor lady was ever heard from again.

31358860363_ea3d90eea7.jpg

Until now.  With wildly throbbing pulses, Guy spread the map out on the boardwalk.  It looked authentic… it felt authentic… it even smelled authentic.  Could this – might this – possibly be THE MAP?!?

He had to find out.  He had to try to follow it.  Right off the bat, he didn’t recognize the location.  Were there any clues?

He turned the parchment carefully upside-down, and noticed a poem, originally traced in a bold hand, but now scarcely visible, thanks to the effects of time.  After staring at it for a while, he managed to decipher the following lines:

Sail ho, my hearties – the treasure awaits!
Unship your compass and head for the straits!
The animal sound guides to the ground
Where riches untold wait to be found.
Your bravery is tested on this small island strip,
And be sure in resin your torches to dip.
Onward and forward, follow your nose,
Keep up with it, as far as it goes!
Up and beyond, climb and away,
As over you breaks the light of a clear day!
The shadow progresses, it points, it ascends,
And away from the hollow your footsteps it bends.
Awake, awake, my hearties, soar to the skies,

He who steps falsely – that man dies!

Below these were more lines, evidently added, in a different though similar hand, at a later date:

To you, bold adventurer, goes forth the call,
Give it your best, give it your all.
No other business can interfere,
Make this your first and your only care.

Leave State and Company for treasure, forever
                                                 – if you dare!

“State and Company!” thought Guy, amazed.  “It’s almost as if it were written with me in mind!”

32131096606_69c990acb5.jpg

Well, I wonder what Uncle thinks about this latest development... more soon, hopefully!

Jungle scenes are so much fun!  I had a great time with this one - and you can see an alternate version of the MOC here and here.
C&C welcome!  Thank you for looking!

And so the story goes...

A nice start with a nice setting! I can't wait for the next parts of this story of epic proportions (?)

Very nice build and story, Kai, I really like that boardwalk and the plants and water beneath it, and the dark tan shore and jungle are excellent as well! :thumbup:  That poem is great too, and I'm looking forward to where you go with this story! :grin: :laugh:

The water is fantastic. The whole MOC is really nice, but the water surely stands out for me.

If that might even be the start to the next challenge?

The story is really cool, I'm curious to what this will lead!

As for the build: awesome job! All three of the jungle scenes are great, but I think this one is my favoured. The dark green water is gorgeous :wub: 

I also really like the minifig posing in the first image :thumbup: 

Excellent bored ... er ... boardwalk! :pir-grin:  I also like the foliage and rockwork. And it seems to be the start of a fascinating adventure! I'm looking forward to where this takes Guy! :thumbup:

Very nicely done! The dark tan rock work looks really good, especially when combined with the excellent water and vegetation. Great Job!

On 1/7/2017 at 6:40 PM, blackdeathgr said:

And so the story goes...

A nice start with a nice setting! I can't wait for the next parts of this story of epic proportions (?)

Thanks blackdeathgr!  Let's hope the proportions are epic... I've got big plans but am short on time!

On 1/7/2017 at 6:51 PM, Garmadon said:

Very nice build and story, Kai, I really like that boardwalk and the plants and water beneath it, and the dark tan shore and jungle are excellent as well! :thumbup:  That poem is great too, and I'm looking forward to where you go with this story! :grin: :laugh:

Thank you!  The boardwalk was fun and the inspiration for this build!

On 1/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Elostirion said:

The water is fantastic. The whole MOC is really nice, but the water surely stands out for me.

If that might even be the start to the next challenge?

Thanks!  I really like how that kind of water looks too, and will probably be using the technique again in the future!

Who knows?  Well, as it happens, I do, and I'm afraid it probably isn't... :pir-grin:

On 1/8/2017 at 0:28 PM, TitusV said:

The story is really cool, I'm curious to what this will lead!

As for the build: awesome job! All three of the jungle scenes are great, but I think this one is my favoured. The dark green water is gorgeous :wub: 

I also really like the minifig posing in the first image :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus!

On 1/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Excellent bored ... er ... boardwalk! :pir-grin:  I also like the foliage and rockwork. And it seems to be the start of a fascinating adventure! I'm looking forward to where this takes Guy! :thumbup:

Thank you Capt Wolf!  That tan bank was really quite the challenge... every time I try to do rock in tan I realize that I really don't have that much of it!

On 1/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, Ayrlego said:

Very nicely done! The dark tan rock work looks really good, especially when combined with the excellent water and vegetation. Great Job!

Thanks Ayrlego!

I'm glad you think about leaving that whole boring politics behind and starting a real pirate adventure! Although I wonder how it comes that the map flew by just in the right moment.

On 1/12/2017 at 2:32 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fine, fine.

Keep going!

Thanks Captain!  Working on the next part now!

On 1/12/2017 at 0:02 PM, Jacob Nion said:

I'm glad you think about leaving that whole boring politics behind and starting a real pirate adventure! Although I wonder how it comes that the map flew by just in the right moment.

:pir-grin:  Yep, I plan on getting some fun out of this!  As for the coincidence of the map... :smug: :laugh:

Lovely build. The vegetation is nice and lush and the design of the boardwalk is brilliant. The story sounds rather, shall we say, convenient (I know the outcome... :pir-wink: ) and the posing is good.

One thing that strikes me as being a bit odd is the use of the irregular water in the foreground combined with the squared edges of the background protruding into the build, behind the boardwalk. But other than that it looks great.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:32 AM, Captain Dee said:

Lovely build. The vegetation is nice and lush and the design of the boardwalk is brilliant. The story sounds rather, shall we say, convenient (I know the outcome... :pir-wink: ) and the posing is good.

One thing that strikes me as being a bit odd is the use of the irregular water in the foreground combined with the squared edges of the background protruding into the build, behind the boardwalk. But other than that it looks great.

Thanks Captain!  Yes, that is a bit... unusual?  I wasn't sure how else to end the terrain otherwise (having a rather limited amount of dark tan), and I think the single perspective of the photos makes it make less sense than IRL... but it was just an experiment anyhow and all things considered, I'll probably avoid repeating it in the future!