TheLunabrick

What do you do with your LEGO Boxes

hello all, since this is my first post, please bear with me if something is not right, re boxes, as a child I was an avid collector of lego, I had a large town setup and branched out into space, (which is now know as classic space !) I I used to but sets, open them up, then dispose of the boxes, this is before recycling was even do able, it is a great source of regret, as now I'm assembling a collection of boxed sets, many of which Ive had to re buy from bricklink or ebay, I now have close to 400 boxed sets,  which a keep in a special room, lined out with sweedish flatpck store shelves. hopefully later this year I'm going to start a large train/town/castle display featuring close to 300 classic sets. hope to show photo as work begins.

3 hours ago, David loss said:

Please use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. We do tolerate bad English as we are a site that welcomes users from all around the world, but we don't tolerate laziness.
See the Site Guidelines for more info. :thumbup: 

I used to keep them and I really kept those empty boxes. I start to store, stack and combine them together. Well, it come to a point that my free available space is running out and I only keeping those very nice box-art sets, more towards the larger sets. I don't flatten them. It's a choice of keeping the boxes as it is or I make a decision and throw it away. 

I keep my boxes until I run out of storage room.  Then I keep the ones that are from rare or old sets or the ones that I particularly like and dispose of the rest.  I have not flattened them, though I do store smaller boxes inside of larger boxes to decrease necessary storage space.

Binliner, loft, done.

Although this year I'd like to pick up a few more boxed vintage sets, and put them on display, such as the early '90s harbour police station, which for me now has incredibly nostalgic packaging.

I kept all of the boxes. But I'm running out of space. Even with trowing away all of the city/creator boxes.
Slowly realising it's getting really problematic now that I doesn't have enough space to build sets. :cry_sad:

Man, I do not see the point to keeping boxes.  Once LEGO gets opened, and enters my collection, very rarely does it see its way out again.

4 hours ago, kibosh said:

Man, I do not see the point to keeping boxes.  Once LEGO gets opened, and enters my collection, very rarely does it see its way out again.

i would agree with you for many of the newer sets. If you are interested in history however, the older boxes had much more interest and utility than the new ones. Old boxes - using the classic space set as an example, had interesting pictures not only of kids actually playing with the toy, but also a range of alternative build ideas that were not ever available in the instructions. The box was as much an advertising and suggestion tool as a means of keeping the parts together.

They can be hard to store, especially if you don't flat pack them, but i think some people change their attitudes towards boxes as they get older if they still have an interest in lego. I treat some of mine just like posters - nice lego related pictures to display in my lego room. 

14 hours ago, bonox said:

i would agree with you for many of the newer sets. If you are interested in history however, the older boxes had much more interest and utility than the new ones. Old boxes - using the classic space set as an example, had interesting pictures not only of kids actually playing with the toy, but also a range of alternative build ideas that were not ever available in the instructions. The box was as much an advertising and suggestion tool as a means of keeping the parts together.

Ah.  That is an interesting point.  I do miss those shots of the kids playing with the bricks.

All of mine are still 3-dimensional (i.e. not flattened), and stored inside each other with a load of other boxes in the loft and various drawers. Some boxes are used for storing parts like my train tracks.