TheLunabrick

What do you do with your LEGO Boxes

Question, what do you guys do with your LEGO set boxes after building the set? Do you throw them away? Store them? What do you guys do with em?

Dispose of the majority. Only a few get saved for the storage of bricks, specific parts of sets for which there is no display room or other storage items like stacks of instructions. 

Recycle! I have kept the nice boxes that my LEGO Architecture: Ideas House came in, and the little Castle Knight Promo box. Everything else, from the little card cartons Nexo Knights come in, right up to the biggest boxes all get sliced down and packed off to the recycling bin.

I recycle probably 85% of them, but I do keep the boxes for sets that tend to increase in value a lot (Modulars, some Lego Exclusives, etc.) or that I really like the design or are likely to have some kind of nostalgic value to me later on (pirates in the past).  The boxes I do keep tend to be the larger ones that aren't glued and just have the adhesive tabs, so it's really easy to just cut those and flatten the boxes.

I'm starting to run out of my easy, out-of-the-way storage space for them now, however, so I may have to thin them out or find some kind of container that's big enough for the flattened boxes that I can put out in the garage.  Hmm...

Dispose and recycle most of them; keep those which are really nice (Lego Ideas set boxes; Old Bionicle canisters, etc.) If I keep all of them they just create to much clutter in my house.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I fold them and keep them behind a dresser. I don't know why. I think I just wait until I have too many and then I dispose of them all together.

Except for the ones with open up flaps where you can see the contents without actually opening the box, I flatten them and put them inside a bigger Lego box. These boxes and polybags serve as a record of what I bought in case I bought something and forgot years later.

I stash them all in my closest: I put smaller boxes in the bigger ones and kind of display them.

I could never get rid of the bigger boxes, especially the UCS Slave 1 box art it's so good looking. 

Punch-tab ones are kept since when opened on the front instead of the side they are a useful tray for parts while building. the big ones of the exclusives are kept, too

Flatten them and stick them in the loft at the moment.

Some get chopped up to use as drawer dividers for my Bricklink stock.

I did have an idea of decorating the attic (building room) with all the front panels / alternate build pics stuck over the insulation.  But life's too short and I expect I won't get round to it.

There is one amendment to my post and anyone else who recycles (disposes) the boxes like myself should also do and that is to keep the box at least until the set is built or all pieces are verified.

This thread reminded me that when I called Lego customer service once about a damaged plate they asked for the code printed on the sticker that seals the box. This was not to verify that it was a legitimate purchase as it came from the Lego store but rather if they have issues with a particular production run it can help them in narrowing down the cause. I'm sure they'd provide replacement pieces without the code or box identification but if it can help them prevent problems and provide a better Lego product then everyone wins. 

All of the above.  Keep, recycle, flatten, cut up, bigger ones work good for kneeling pad on cold garage floor.

We have still quite a number of then from over the last year, but we will eventually but the all Ingo the recycling, apart from the ones from the ideas sets, which are simply too nice to bin :wink:

I am not a collector, so I don't bother about keeping packaging in general.

Mine get sliced and diced and put into recycle bin, when I dismantle a model parts go into the sytem

I currently flatten them but I am afraid I may have to recycle some of them when I run out of space or when I lost interest keeping the boxes. 

I do a bit of everything. The large boxes that can be stored flat, I have a empty shelf in my guest room closet where I put them all. Punch tab boxes and common small sets get recycled. And rarer boxes like ideas sets go in the guest room closet as well.

I bought a used set and it came with the box flattened and I keep mine and this has to be the best idea for minimizing space, not sure how flat Friends' boxes get!

I've also received a few bricklink orders in Lego boxes.

Put me down for one who keeps 'em.  I have trouble with throwing things away.  I think that I threw out some of my train track boxes that's about it.

30 minutes ago, Breakdown said:

I bought a used set and it came with the box flattened and I keep mine and this has to be the best idea for minimizing space, not sure how flat Friends' boxes get!

Friends boxes do fold flat.  I found it looks a bit decieving that it can go flat with the clever curves they folded into the box until I flattened one.  :classic:

I keep all of them and use them as background decoration behind my collection. I don't go out of my way to buy one if I bought a used set though. I also try to match the themes and subthemes (Star Wars Republic boxes go behind my Republic army, Harry Potter boxes go behind the Harry Potter stuff etc).

I used to save the larger ones (with the ends open so that I could flatten them), but I have way too many sets, and I had no idea what I would ever use them for.  It's true I have a huge surplus of sets I'd like to sell, but I honestly never bought any for the purpose of reselling, so I decided to throw them all.

The only ones I keep: special ones, like my signed architecture sets (the first four), and the Ideas sets usually have an "upscale" and interesting box.

I bin (recycle) all of mine. I'm a builder not a collector :laugh:

Although when I see the resale values of sets I have, and compare the "with box" and "without box" prices, I do wonder whether I'm doing the right thing

I used to keep them, flattened. Once they started piling up too much I just decided to get rid of them. I have a few roaming around, the Ideas sets I bought & a few exclusive ones.