Oky

The Lego Mandela Effect

Hi everyone! Some stories have been making the rounds again lately about the confusion over the Bernstain Bears and the Sinbad genie movie "Shazaam" that are attributed to the "Mandela Effect" which is a phenomenon where a number of people remember something that never happened, leading to many outlandish theories. So I was wondering if there are any such stories in the Lego community?

I actually had a similar experience recently where I could've sworn I owned a certain part, but when I went to look for it in my collection for a MOC I was working on, I couldn't find it or remember where it could possibly be. This train track piece to be exact. According to bricklink, it only appears in 14 sets, none of which I ever owned to my knowledge. I seem to remember details about the part and even how it felt in my hand, and yet it doesn't look like it was ever in my possession. Maybe I saw it at a friend's house or at the Lego Store? Who knows.:shrug_confused:

So have you experienced anything like this? Are others having issues with faulty Lego memory or am I just going crazy? Share your stories! It would be fascinating if we could uncover an instance of the Mandela Effect that relates to Lego in some way.

I had the same thing happen to me, too! I could've sworn I had two of these in pearl light gray, but I still can't find them. They work great for headlight areas on technic cars.

Cheers

Let's Build

P.S.

43 minutes ago, Oky said:

This train track piece to be exact.

Your link is the wrong one. It leads to Wikipedia's bernstain bears page.

This is an interesting topic. For me I had absolutely no knowledge of The Lego Malevolence, I guess I missed it during my dark ages somehow, but the set seems odd to me, for some reason, almost mythical. I must sound like a weirdo but that's my story. I've had other experiences with the Mandala effect as well, I could swear the state quarters (I'm from the US, and some of our 25 cent coins have little illustrations of a state.) changed, as if the details were slightly different then when I saw them last. I must sound like a lunatic.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:24 PM, Oky said:

I actually had a similar experience recently where I could've sworn I owned a certain part, but when I went to look for it in my collection for a MOC I was working on, I couldn't find it or remember where it could possibly be. This train track piece to be exact. According to bricklink, it only appears in 14 sets, none of which I ever owned to my knowledge. I seem to remember details about the part and even how it felt in my hand, and yet it doesn't look like it was ever in my possession. Maybe I saw it at a friend's house or at the Lego Store? Who knows.:shrug_confused:

I'm just curious though, how do you know that they aren't at the bottom of an unsorted bin or something? I lose pieces like that all the time. You could have bricklinked it, and then forgot to sort it or something. Just an idea.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, letsbuild said:

I had the same thing happen to me, too! I could've sworn I had two of these in pearl light gray, but I still can't find them. They work great for headlight areas on technic cars.

Interesting! So you don't think you own any of the sets that it comes in and haven't bricklinked it?

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the wrong link. It is fixed now.

54 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

This is an interesting topic. For me I had absolutely no knowledge of The Lego Malevolence, I guess I missed it during my dark ages somehow, but the set seems odd to me, for some reason, almost mythical. I must sound like a weirdo but that's my story. I've had other experiences with the Mandala effect as well, I could swear the state quarters (I'm from the US, and some of our 25 cent coins have little illustrations of a state.) changed, as if the details were slightly different then when I saw them last. I must sound like a lunatic.

Hm, your experience with the Malevolence sounds like it is not so much to be attributed to the Mandela effect as it is to just your opinion/awareness of the set, but interesting story(s) nevertheless.

55 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

I'm just curious though, how do you know that they aren't at the bottom of an unsorted bin or something? I lose pieces like that all the time. You could have bricklinked it, and then forgot to sort it or something. Just an idea.

I very rarely bricklink parts and I'm pretty sure that's not one of them. However, I did get a bunch of second hand Lego from friends, so I guess there is a chance it could have been among them. I did check all the unsorted bins I could think of, but it's possible that I missed it. Perhaps in time it will show up somewhere...

To me, it is very interesting to see a lot of documentaries about the beginnings of LEGO but NOWHERE is ever mentioned that the idea for the LEGO bricks originally came from the Kiddicraft-Blocks. Even the official comic documentary left that very important point out of the whole story... Does this qualify as "Mandela Effect"?