letsbuild

Let's Build's Technic Garage - there's always something going on.

Hey folks!

I started a topic for all my models, because I didn't want to clog up the forum with useless topics, I decided to place them all here!

I'll kick things off with a WIP idea: Volkswagen Nardo in 1:11th scale. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, I'll save you a google search. This is what it looks like: volkswagen_w12_nardo_1997.jpg

As you can see, it's very curvy, so it will be a difficult model.

Anyways, cheers,

Let's Build

6 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

Looks cool! I've heard of the car, but haven't seen a LEGO model of it. Reminds me somewhat of the McLaren F1.

It certainly is a nice car, very curvy, like the Mclaren F1. It was also from the same time.

Does anyone know if a W engine is like \\// or \/\/ ? The lines are cylinder positions.

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Does anyone know if a W engine is like \\// or \/\/ ? The lines are cylinder positions.

More like the first one.  It is roughly a V-8 but with an offset second set of cylinders, still overall shaped in a V. You can get a picture of the block on Wikipedia. 

13 hours ago, Blakbird said:

More like the first one.  It is roughly a V-8 but with an offset second set of cylinders, still overall shaped in a V. You can get a picture of the block on Wikipedia. 

Okay, thank you, your comment is very helpful.

If you happen to know the VR-Layout used by VW. It's basicly 2 VR engines with one crankshaft. As a flatplane V8 is basicly 2 inline 4 enginges with a single crank. (Simply spoken)

19 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

If you happen to know the VR-Layout used by VW. It's basicly 2 VR engines with one crankshaft. As a flatplane V8 is basicly 2 inline 4 enginges with a single crank. (Simply spoken)

Oh, ok, I understand a bit more now.

Big question, Should I make it all manual, certain functions motorized, or full RC (drive and steering remote controlled) with other functions manual?

1 hour ago, letsbuild said:

Big question, Should I make it all manual, certain functions motorized, or full RC (drive and steering remote controlled) with other functions manual?

:laugh: Shouldn't it be "whatever you're comfortable with"?  I think there is no standard answer or suggestion here... after all, "modelling" can range from highly realistic to highly abstract. For me, I'll just go with whatever I feel like doing :tongue: and enjoy the process of modelling, rather than worry too much about what others want to see...

3 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

:laugh: Shouldn't it be "whatever you're comfortable with"?  I think there is no standard answer or suggestion here... after all, "modelling" can range from highly realistic to highly abstract. For me, I'll just go with whatever I feel like doing :tongue: and enjoy the process of modelling, rather than worry too much about what others want to see...

Hm, thank you for your insight. I just thought that maybe the community would like to get involved in it. Thanks anyways.

6 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Looks like a challenging build. I personally would like to see a full RC model with RC functions... but that's just my opinion :blush:

9 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Looks like a challenging build. I personally would like to see a full RC model with RC functions... but that's just my opinion :blush:

I would like to do that too, but I don't have enough motors, nor changeover catches for gearboxes.

If you're not sure how much to make RC, just start with drive and steering. From there, add more RC functions as you feel comfortable. I have been building with Lego since I was three, and with Technic for about 8 years, but have only just started adding RC gearboxes, winches,and the like. Do what you are able. As you gain skill, your models will become more complex.

7 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

For me its drive and steering rc. The rest can stay manual

Usually it's like that for me, too, but I wasn't sure if that's what I should've done this time.

32 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

If you're not sure how much to make RC, just start with drive and steering. From there, add more RC functions as you feel comfortable. I have been building with Lego since I was three, and with Technic for about 8 years, but have only just started adding RC gearboxes, winches,and the like. Do what you are able. As you gain skill, your models will become more complex.

That's a really good way of putting it. Thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

On 2017-03-17 at 4:22 PM, Imanol BB said:

The Warthog from Halo?

On 2017-03-18 at 10:26 AM, Sylvian said:

^ ^

Sorry for the delay, but You two are correct.

As a distraction from the Warthog, I wanted to build something BIG, something that I knew would work. So I built this Modified 42029.

Modded 42029 (1)Modded 42029Modded 42029

What do you guys think?

You can find more information on my Flickr.

The truck is definitely cool! Looks fun to drive! I am looking forward to the Volkswagen because it looks amazing by the picture! I hope it works out well, and it would be cool if it steered and drove with RC power. 

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

5 hours ago, KikoTube said:

Is this a finished vehicle? Isn´t missing something at the front?

That's one of the MODs. I prefer it without the front. It is a finished vehicle.

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The truck is definitely cool! Looks fun to drive! I am looking forward to the Volkswagen because it looks amazing by the picture! I hope it works out well, and it would be cool if it steered and drove with RC power. 

Thanks! The Volkswagen is on hold at the moment. I got bored. My plan was (is) to make it RC.

I think it you aren't comfortable making a gearbox just don't use one

I have never built a working gearbox with technic

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I think it you aren't comfortable making a gearbox just don't use one

I have never built a working gearbox with technic

Where are coming from with this statement?

3 hours ago, Sylvian said:

i think you should drop the engine, put it a few studs lower...

I'll try it out, and see where it gets me. But remember that this is not a MOC.