Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR - FB1] - Jan '17 - Sea Serpent Class War Schooner

With the navies of the great powers growing larger by the day, Bishop Meloche, pirate lord of Charlatan Bay, quickly came to the realization that the time of reaving in single masted sloops had come to an abrupt end.  Amassing his fortune, he hired the shipwrights of Bastion to design a sleek raider; one fast enough to run down the treasure fleets but rating higher than all but the dreadnoughts of the era.  After months of design and building, the first Sea Serpent class schooner of war made her way out of the blocks and set sail for Charlatan Bay.

YQTWYnI.jpg

8AylVrL.jpg

ZKJvdqK.jpg

286wfAZ.jpg

ijv0ELo.jpg

Ww8Po0n.jpg

nqSd3E2.jpg

While narrow of beam and sharply raked at the bow, the schooner mounted eighteen (18) cannons including two (2) bow chasers of considerable weight and two stern chasers out of the captain's suite (not pictured). She'd prove to be a menace to many a fast trader, as she was designed to be as quick and maneuverable as they were.

------

So this started out as a direct replacement for my lost "free" class 2A and some how morphed into 5LA when all was said and done.  It was another of many firsts this past year for me: 1) using Captain Greenhair's tutorial for a sloped shape hull, though I went with a scratch built one narrower than pre-built sections by a few lugs, 2) first time doing significant rigging work (what a pain in the proverbial), and 3) first time I had an actual sail plan to model against. :wink:

rOoeKBi.jpg

It is by no means trying for historically accurate though.  It is more a happy medium between those and playable sets in my eyes.

And in light of my ongoing "luck", I did build in one little personal innovation as you'll see in the post below.

Edited by Kwatchi

Peregrine - Class 4 war schooner - first licensed January '617

The Peregrine was the first of the schooners to be entered into service with the Charlatan Bay fleet.  She would act as the colony's defacto flagship for a time, though the Bishop never sailed upon her.

i3Vl1SZ.jpg

Dr2qllO.jpg

pqGOdlj.jpg

The original captain, Clarence Moore, and most of his crew during the Battle of Five Fleets.  The Peregrine is presently captained by Silas Pike, who was granted command during the Mardierian Purge of October '17.

Captain Silas Pike and crew

Wk52PCq.jpg

Former Crew of the Peregrine along with Captain Clarence Moore

XQkEF4C.jpg

Toucan - War schooner - unlicensed sister ship

Gce80Ji.jpg

tjm07sd.jpg

xf3itan.jpg

Ganett - War schooner - unlicensed sister ship

gfANAsy.jpg

8gmFfDN.jpg

0ZdGO7X.jpg

----

I'll add more sister ships if my losses require it. :pir-blush:

Edited by Kwatchi

I really, really like the looks of this ship - the sails are wonderful, as is the slim hull.  Fantastic work!

Great looking ship! Great job with the sail plan, and I like the quarterdeck, which gives her an earlier historical feel. And of course the figurehead and especially the stern decorations are excellent! :thumbup:

Here's hoping you don't have to use those sister ships!

Oo! This is getting serious! KaBLAM!

Marvelous ships btw in the realm of semi-realistic but playable and I totally feel you on rigging!

Awesome ship(s) indeed! 

The rigging can indeed be quite difficult to pull off, but I think it worked out fine!

Also great use of the Nexo Knights shield! :thumbup: You haven, just proven the line has at least one use :wink: 

Nice looking (series of) war schooners, Kwatchi. I like the long sleek look, and it certainly looks like the perfect vessel for a privateer or pirate.

The bow is looking really nice, especially the headrails, and I like the use of the old style windows for the stern cabin.

A few pointers for the rigigng. It is looking really nice, and I like the cloth sails. I would bring down the booms to about the height of a minifig. Also, the lowest headsail shouldn't have a boom (the one going forward from the foremast). Instead, it should be hanging on the lower stay similar to how the other headsails are mounted.

Those details aside, a very nice ship, and a great idea to have the sisterships ready in case of need! :pir-grin: