Sign in to follow this  
dr_spock

MOC: Coffee Pot Steam Motor Coach

Presenting my Coffee Pot Steam Motor Coach NJAB 1. It is a unique Australian steam engine and passenger coach combined into one. The 2-2-0 steam engine was made in Leeds, England and the coach was built in Birmingham. There were only 2 built. Unit #1 entered service in 1906.

a_cr0019_tn.jpg

For my LEGO version, I selected the dark green one that was displayed in Alice Springs during the 1960s to '80s. It just so happens I have some dark green 1x1 PAB bricks sitting around for ages. :classic:

31230150393_72b17d7955_c.jpgCoffee Pot Steam Motor Coach by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

I believe this is my first steam MOC. My building technique was look at the picture and mashed it into a LEGO standard 6 wide style with parts on hand. It has Power Functions train motor, AAA battery box and IR receiver. The receiver is easily accessible behind the cab to change channels which is useful for running at our LUG events.

coffeepot5.jpg

With all the coffee the passengers and crew are drinking on my Coffee Pot, my rail outhouse should be included in the train consist. :wink:

coffeepot1.jpg

Never seen a steam like that but your moc is very good and I like it. By the way, dark green is one of my favorite colours.

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

How does one get from the coach to the lavatory while the train is in motion...?

With a good aim!

Quite a few railways in the UK tried this. Some looked like the above, a tank engine bolted to a coach while others looked like a coach with a chimney. The GWS at Didcot have restored a GWR example: http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/zrailmotor93/

Nice project and definitely something unique! 

On 1/2/2017 at 3:59 PM, Ex cinno said:

Never seen a steam like that but your moc is very good and I like it. By the way, dark green is one of my favorite colours.

On 1/3/2017 at 2:23 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow this is astonishing! Beautiful realization of a peculiar model!

By the way... what can I said about the last picture? That service wagon is always around... :laugh:

On 1/3/2017 at 2:56 PM, THERIZE said:

Nice project and definitely something unique! 

Thank you.  I like to try to find unique rail equipment.  :classic:

On 1/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, M_slug357 said:

How does one get from the coach to the lavatory while the train is in motion...?

Method 1: Jump off the passenger compartment, run after and jump on the outhouse car.

Method 2: Climb up onto roof of passenger car and jump onto outhouse car. 

On 1/2/2017 at 9:54 PM, Kalahari134 said:

With a good aim!

Quite a few railways in the UK tried this. Some looked like the above, a tank engine bolted to a coach while others looked like a coach with a chimney. The GWS at Didcot have restored a GWR example: http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/zrailmotor93/

Thank you for the link.  That was a good read and information.  :classic: