gads

[MOC] - Guarded Inn

Hi guys,

I would like to present my latest creation - Guarded Inn - based on the classic LEGO Set #6067 Guarded Inn which is one of my favourite sets ever :)

Guarded Inn

Here's the link for the complete album on flickr including a comparison picture of my MOC and the classic set I own. Unfortunately I lost the knight minifg but beside that I think the set it's complete! yay!

Guarded Inn comparison

Comments and other kind of feedback are welcome :D

Cheers!

Cool MOC.  I can see the Cesbricks sloppy stone influence in there for sure.

If you like Cesbricks, then be sure to check out Legonardo and Derfel Cadarn's later works too.

12 minutes ago, ZCerberus said:

Cool MOC.  I can see the Cesbricks sloppy stone influence in there for sure.

If you like Cesbricks, then be sure to check out Legonardo and Derfel Cadarn's later works too.

Thanks!

Yeah! I also follow those two great master-builders :D

Wow, this is a great homage paid to the Guarded Inn. When I see the topic title, I was anticipating a classic rendition of this amazing set. I am very fond of the wall detailing around the facade. It is very well done. Thank you for sharing with us. 

Outstanding build, the wall texturing is superb, and the inn itself looks a lot like the original :wub:

Just as a heads up, this build is currently on the naughty list for the CCC; if you resize the images to 1600 x 1280 (at max), and post in the naughty list thread that you fixed it, it should be approved :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

17 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Outstanding build, the wall texturing is superb, and the inn itself looks a lot like the original :wub:

Just as a heads up, this build is currently on the naughty list for the CCC; if you resize the images to 1600 x 1280 (at max), and post in the naughty list thread that you fixed it, it should be approved :classic:

I think I submitted the wrong URLs... It's fixed and approved :D

Great job on this remake of a classic, gads!

I love to see the old classic sets remade, and yours is spectacular in every detail!  Thanks for including the comparison to the original (though I already knew what it looked like)!  The half-timber sections and stonework are very fitting for an inn like this.

The only detail I do not like is that the wall is no longer modular in your rebuild.  I know this is because you were remaking the original, but the wall seems rather pointless as you have it now with dead ends only a short distance from each other.  It seems doubtful to me that such a solid stone wall would be built with open ends.  I would really like to see this attached to remakes of all the LEGO-original modular castle sets!

29 minutes ago, Slegengr said:

The only detail I do not like is that the wall is no longer modular in your rebuild.  I know this is because you were remaking the original, but the wall seems rather pointless as you have it now with dead ends only a short distance from each other.  It seems doubtful to me that such a solid stone wall would be built with open ends.  I would really like to see this attached to remakes of all the LEGO-original modular castle sets!

Thanks for the kind feedback :)

In the first version of the MOC I made the wall modular. Beside making it look more like the original set, I was also trying to participate in medieval collaborative project with other builders. The Inn would be part of the castle walls.

But the castle ended up with different stone work and it the Inn didn't fit anymore.

So I decided to give a more personal touch by "destroying" the wall and remove the "sharp" endings. If the display would be bigger you could see more wall parts and stones scattered in the field :)

A really stunning amount of detailing here. Beautiful work in every aspect! :thumbup: I am also quite surprised how small the original appears compared to it (ok, the photo seems to be of a bit smaller scale, but still). It is a quite sizeable build, without appearing exaggerated. As a matter of fact, its size feels just right.:classic:

28 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

A really stunning amount of detailing here. Beautiful work in every aspect! :thumbup: I am also quite surprised how small the original appears compared to it (ok, the photo seems to be of a bit smaller scale, but still). It is a quite sizeable build, without appearing exaggerated. As a matter of fact, its size feels just right.:classic:

Thanks for the kind comments :)

The comparison photo was taken with both MOC and set side by side. No tricks here! hehehe

But I agree, the original set looks very small now...

I don't have this set, but this is one of my favorite things to do. Re-imagining classic sets that I loved. I've only done it once so far (I still need to get pictures of it), but I plan to do lots more.

I think the castle work is great. Definitely looks stony. I tend to be too smooth with my light bley I think, so this works quite well. The red Inn also stands out. The only thing differently I would do is make it more timbered looking with the black like in the original, but otherwise it looks great!

Keep up the good work. I will have to look back at this for inspiration in the future.

As already said, great intrepitation of an old classic.
You nailed it ! 

I really like your chimney, and the way it "leans" to make the red color tolerable. I feel Its quite hard to incorporate red colors into builds.
Top notch MOC ! :thumbup: