Cale

Introducing Brick Model Railroader

I would like to invite the members of Eurobricks to check out our new web site.

brickmodelrailroader.com

Brick Model Railroader is a project I've been working on with a few friends. What is it exactly?

Brick Model Railroader is a LEGO® Train Hobby, online news and information resource. We want to provide train fans with articles on LEGO Train news, building techniques, layout planning and operating practices, LEGO train events, building inspiration, and highlight the best LEGO Train creations from around the globe, and the builders behind them.

We're just getting started, but I hope you'll like what we have so far and want to keep coming back. And we welcome any suggestions on what we can improve, or add to better serve the LEGO Train Hobby.

Cale Leiphart

31867849861_d24e814767_z.jpgBMR Driver 07.1ai by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

31610916690_87b2ab1591_c.jpgBMR Boxcar 001 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

How do you sign in without making a blog for myself via the word-press site? I wanted to congratulate you guys but can't seems to find out how to do so on your site!

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

How do you sign in without making a blog for myself via the word-press site? I wanted to congratulate you guys but can't seems to find out how to do so on your site!

I had trouble finding this too, but this is how: Click log in where comments normally are, click log in with username and password, then under the part that says "or log in with WordPress" there is a register button. 

Cale, this looks like a fantastic resource for this community! I'd be happy to write articles on my builds, techniques, or real railroad stuff if it's ever desired! I can see why this kept you busy for the past few days. It's a good holiday present for all us train heads!

Woo-Hoo!!! This looks great! Congrats! Do you think that you will be hosting LDD files on how to build various rail items? Can we start with that fab white box car? And then the one-cylinder engine and then the crane and then the ......

Anyway, best of luck in your endeavor and hope to be able to contribute in some way in the future.

Great new site! I really like the way it is laid out and your initial articles. Congrats and hope all goes well.

2 hours ago, CrispyBassist said:

I had trouble finding this too, but this is how: Click log in where comments normally are, click log in with username and password, then under the part that says "or log in with WordPress" there is a register button. 

Cale, this looks like a fantastic resource for this community! I'd be happy to write articles on my builds, techniques, or real railroad stuff if it's ever desired! I can see why this kept you busy for the past few days. It's a good holiday present for all us train heads!

Yeah, sorry about the confusion with sign in. It's a word press quirk. We'll have to update our FAQ to include how to.

Thanks Matt. The more great articles we can add the better. 

Cale

49 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

Woo-Hoo!!! This looks great! Congrats! Do you think that you will be hosting LDD files on how to build various rail items? Can we start with that fab white box car? And then the one-cylinder engine and then the crane and then the ......

Anyway, best of luck in your endeavor and hope to be able to contribute in some way in the future.

Hosting LDD files and or instructions is something we are open to in the future. But for now we wanted to keep it simple and get the ball rolling.

We would like to make the Boxcar available in some way though. We would certainly love to see it running on club layouts and on fan's home layouts. Maybe even have regular updates on BMR boxcar sightings. But of course we've been busy just getting things going, so that will still need to wait a bit. But we'll be working on it.

And thank you.

Cale

41 minutes ago, kjm161 said:

Great new site! I really like the way it is laid out and your initial articles. Congrats and hope all goes well.

Thank you. We're glad you like it so far.

Cale

Cale, this is awesome. I'm still reeling from Railbricks shutting down, and I hope you guys can pick up from where Railbricks left off. I've taken the liberty to share the site on BrickPicker - I know there are train fans out there as well ...

Congrats on the new site! It looks great. Will you be posting any instructions? Like perhaps a set for that boxcar?

-Jeffinslaw

10 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I apologize for this - I've added under the menu contact us an easier way to get to the Register page for wordpress. This should hopefully help speed things up. 

13 hours ago, Phil B said:

Cale, this is awesome. I'm still reeling from Railbricks shutting down, and I hope you guys can pick up from where Railbricks left off. I've taken the liberty to share the site on BrickPicker - I know there are train fans out there as well ...

Thank you. We hope we can serve the LEGO train hobby well in BailBricks' absence.

Cale

12 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

Congrats on the new site! It looks great. Will you be posting any instructions? Like perhaps a set for that boxcar?

-Jeffinslaw

We wanted to start simple at first, and get things off the ground before we consider hosting instructions or other additions. Our main focus was providing valuable articles and getting momentum going. But hosting instructions is something we are open to considering for the future. We know there is a demand out there for it. But rather than rush into it, if we do branch into hosting instructions, we want to make sure we're ready, and that we could do it right.

Many people have asked about the boxcar, and we're thrilled that so many fans like it and want one of their own. We have talked about making Boxcar available in some way in the future. We would certainly love to see it running on club layouts and on fan's home layouts. It would make a great ambassador for us. We could even have regular updates on BMR boxcar sightings. We're still discussing the when and how. However we're just getting this site started and doing that has been our main focus. But we do have plans for the car, so just be patient.

And thank you.

Cale

7 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

I'd like to recommend my own article about LEGO 9V tracks geometry, I think it serves the community well :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2pGVpZyXf5hU3NYRWNuRkVCbHM/view

Your tack geometry article would be a great addition to the site. 

Cale

Wow! What a great resource! Thank you so much Cale and team!

Hey Cale,

Great to have a dedicated Lego train resource up again! Especially with such experience behind it.

My only suggestion would be to get some more international writers on board - at the current you have four Americans as contributors. The European community is massive and would be good to cater to as well.

By far, this announcement is the best end-of-the-year news yet! One question, will you be able to link/host all of the old Rail Bricks issues? 

7 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

By far, this announcement is the best end-of-the-year news yet! One question, will you be able to link/host all of the old Rail Bricks issues? 

I haven't spoken with Cale about this yet, but adding the back issues of RAILBRICKS to the site, in some form, is definitely something that I would like to do as part of our resources section.  Echoing Cale, I'm excited to see this project receiving such great enthusiasm from the community, and I look forward to contributing as I can in the future.

-Elroy

Congratulations on the new website guys! As others have said, it would be great to get some instructions and/or some LXF files on the site to replicate some of the great MOC's that are out there, and, having a repository for the Railbricks magazines would be awesome (not sure if I grabbed the last couple).

Keep up the great work, and, hopefully I can contribute something to the website myself in the future!

22 hours ago, pinioncorp said:

Hey Cale,

Great to have a dedicated Lego train resource up again! Especially with such experience behind it.

My only suggestion would be to get some more international writers on board - at the current you have four Americans as contributors. The European community is massive and would be good to cater to as well.

Thank you. We are working on adding contributors from outside the US. We want to cover LEGO trains from all around the world.

Cale

17 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

10 hours ago, TaltosVT said:

I haven't spoken with Cale about this yet, but adding the back issues of RAILBRICKS to the site, in some form, is definitely something that I would like to do as part of our resources section.  Echoing Cale, I'm excited to see this project receiving such great enthusiasm from the community, and I look forward to contributing as I can in the future.

-Elroy

I would be open to hosting the RB issues on Brick Model Railroader. But the decision ultimately is up to Jeramy Spurgeon who own the RailBricks name and properties. We will look into it though.

Cale

Great to see this!! I wasn't around when RB was out. Thank you for your efforts in this! Love the boxcar!  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Hi, I registered with my gmail account, but no activation e-mail arrived, resending it not working as well.

Should be taken care of now. 

Cale

We have some new articles up on Brick Model Railroader. Check them out.

http://brickmodelrailroader.com

And we have more that we are working on. 

Cale